Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

QOL: newbies, sickles, fruit and nuts

Problems:

I think a lot of new players are put off when they learn that they can't pick an apple or an orange. Not without a special tool... that they don't have... and that's actually quite difficult to make.

Also, if those players are thirsty, they are out of luck unless they also happen to be carrying a fruit press... that they don't have... that would produce a beverage that they couldn't drink anyway (ql < 10 = undrinkable).

Proposed solutions:

1. Allow players to pick fruit (and nuts) without a sickle.
    • This would not be able to pick multiple items at higher skills. That is reserved for those with a sickle.
      • The quality of the picked items should be reduced, and/or a random amount of damage, say 10-30% should be applied.
  2. Eating fruit should quench some of a player's thirst as well as hunger.

Discussion:

1. This will allow hungry or thirsty newbies who are wandering through an orange grove, or a field of raspberry bushes, to keep their stamina up. I think this is a huge quality of life improvement over what we have right now.
  2. Yes, I'm well aware that it's foolhardy to venture inland without a water container. But who among us hasn't found ourselves both thirsty and without any water on them? Finding fresh fruit in this situation ought to be a nice surprise, not a frustrating one.
  3. People with professional tools will not find their livelihoods threatened. Hand-picked fruit and nuts will not compete with those picked with a sickle.
  4. I think there's no need to include sprouts and transplanting in this discussion. Players who want to cultivate plantations can reasonably be expected to get the correct tool for the job.
Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 8

+1 yep, some low-hanging fruit there, ripe for implementing.

Sounds good, I think it would even be fine without any penalties. After all, you can enchant/rune sickles, so using a sickle would still hold plenty of advantages.