Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

How far would you travel for an interesting site?

Would you travel, for instance, to central Xanadu, to visit a site that is interesting?

Yes, given I have the time for. I frequently sailed/rode to rifts away more than halfways through Xanadu, did treasure hunts around an area circa a third of Xanadu, but back and forth several times. Moreover, I cut "traitor trees" in missions which were away more than 7000 tiles, and, as long as one cannot teleport horses home, had to ride all the way back :) .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayuna said:

Would you travel, for instance, to central Xanadu, to visit a site that is interesting?

no

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayuna said:

I have done so, many many times in the past.

It's not much fun getting to places of interest, but sometimes what you find there is worth it!

• Like 1

No way. It's too far. Xanadu is too big.  
I went to a Impalong when I was sort of new on Xanadu but it took ages to get there.  I got lost.  The map was so big.  Too big.   I felt dread thinking about going back to my own server.
Release and other servers like it are perfect sizes.  Indy is okay but Xanadu is Ridiculous

• Like 2

I would have no issue travelling as far as necessary to see an interesting site, provided the travel itself wasn't just a straight line across a wasteland.  It is journeying, rather than just travelling. 

However, if it is on Xanadu, or hugely popular with hundreds of players in local, then I would not go near it because it kills my potato.

I tried to go to an impalong once (not on Xan) but gave up because the closer I got the worse my lag and framerate - I barely got out alive!  🤣

I also used a public wagoner container near Glasshollow on Xan, and had the same issue.   

Edited by TheTrickster

I've personally visited the King's Puzzle Maze twice. So, I suppose I'm willing to do the travel (if irl time allows) when there's something fun or profitable or interesting enough.

• Like 1

I love travelling in Wurm. Some of my fondest memories are from exploring different servers. I even have a tradition, where after each Christmas Impalong, I pick a part of the world and spend a week or two travelling through it, just to see what's out there and how others live. So, yes, I would travel to central Xanadu to visit an interesting site. For sure.

got a tardis helping me to help u to help me to travel. so yes.
how holy the upcoming site is?

22 hours ago, Coach said:

got a tardis helping me to help u to help me to travel. so yes.
how holy the upcoming site is?

How "holy"? Well, it'd be like a museum and a novelty shoppe

I can say that I cannot fully  understand all the whining about traveling, in Xanadu in particular. I  always enjoy and enjoyed  to experience new realms,  though, admittedly, hated it when under time pressure, and in completely unknown areas on distant servers, where  my mounts were without shoe and  saddle  unless I found or created a pen to tame  and untame (still a pain with inaccessible saddle  bags). Such challenges are harder than travelling a bit on  my home  continent.

When  I ride towards a "traitor tree", or chase a  treasure, I always enjoy the landscape,  try to remember  the particularities of the terrain, existing and former deeds,  animal life, and vegetation.

Ok, if another player's wurm life is completely centered to grinding, and/or not leaving a tiny  server, it is a sandbox game, after all. But if you do not like and understand Xanadu, just stay  away from it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I can say that I cannot fully  understand all the whining about traveling, in Xanadu in particular. I 

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a problem. Everyone has jobs, tasks, responsibilities, RL important things to do. People don't have time to login for 2 hours just to travel from point A to point B on Xanadu. Most people will not define that as fun. 

You might extract pleasure from it. Doesn't mean it's for everyone.

• Like 3

travel from my deed to central Xanadu is easily a "Wurm day" traveling and then home again a day, so really depend what this interesting thing is, i dont think theres a interesting enough thing to just see that would make me take that trip. however if there was a sort of event that lasted for awhile, then maybe.

12 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

travel from my deed to central Xanadu is easily a "Wurm day" traveling and then home again a day, so really depend what this interesting thing is, i dont think theres a interesting enough thing to just see that would make me take that trip. however if there was a sort of event that lasted for awhile, then maybe.

no

34 minutes ago, elentari said:

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a problem. Everyone has jobs, tasks, responsibilities, RL important things to do. People don't have time to login for 2 hours just to travel from point A to point B on Xanadu. Most people will not define that as fun. 

You might extract pleasure from it. Doesn't mean it's for everyone.

yes

maybe still.. there's event in fallen earth for example.. I think for valentines there was cuddles... big grumpy mascot.. who needs to be murdered... players form 20-30 player raids one or two... big teams.. and go to gather at the spawn spot and wait a fair few "seconds" sometimes more or less... to kill it(to give time to other to reach the place or well.. not give other the opportunity), every 4 hours.. players form "massive" trains of traveling parties.. from A to B to C to D to E.. all die and there's 4hour delay for the respawns.. game also offers teleports.. and there's still need to use a mount/vehicle to reach from the teleport to the event place.. there's some or no tolerance for the slow people because well.. all are there already and it's meant to be a fun event and not camping site for that 1 random person using slowest possible mount.. each kill gives from 1 to 2-3 lootboxes.. that's the goal.. and boxes could give something less or more worth player's time...

wurm had something similar.. but since summons are a thing.. it's not that hard to buy your way around checkpoint summons.. and do the event in 2minutes or 5... and practically not even do a step..

(indy rock chunk event../call it whatever.. I didn't bother to do it)

another gm event could be cool.... as long things are somehow procedurally generated content.. could be isolated place on/off the map with gm teleport sign or w/e.. and rotate every few months to get some collectible item, that could be cool... as long it's reliable and players are familiar with it.. easily accessible etc... traveling to random places, especially on xanadu... lol... just the borders put people away from looking at xanadu, traveling inland.. yikes;

(it just involves a big time investment.. not all put value to that as @elentarimentioned, every A to B... costs another at least B to A travel time)

Edited by Finnn

The hypothetical question doesn't assign how interesting the travel is, it only assigns how interesting the site is.
Can someone explain to me if the site is not interesting enough, can i still call it an interesting site? why?