Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

I want to make farm skilling advisor tool.

I want to make farm skilling advisor tool.   

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most pertinent question regarding a farm skilling advisor tool?

• My farming skill is X and what should I farm to get the best skill gain?
    • I need to farm crop Y and what tool quality should I use to get the best skill gain?
    • I have a Z quality rake and what should I farm for the best skill gain?
    • Other. Please specify in reply.

Note, I'm aware of grinder app. It works and is correct. I just think it's overly complicated and gives too much information.

On another subject, I'm hoping for some feedback regarding the "bonus" value. I believe that rake skill, and to a lesser extent, nature skill can be explained by farming skill. Say you have 40 farming skill. Here you'll likely have 30 to 35 rake skill. Nature skill is harder as other things affect it, but I'm guessing around 20. This is important because it simplifies the advisor tool so users just need to give one or maybe two values.

I voted the third choice but probably it would be best: "My farm skill is X what should i farm with 1ql rake?"

10 hours ago, joedobo said:

Note, I'm aware of grinder app. It works and is correct. I just think it's overly complicated and gives too much information.

Did you try Simple farming calculator on Wurmnode https://www.wurmnode.com/tool/farming ? Just fill farming skill and rake ql and you will see what is best to farm.

• Like 1

Ringhai,  I didn't know about WurmNode's tool when I stated this project. Though, I have since learned of it. It's better, but the math it uses isn't right: ((skill + QL) / 2) -10 = difficulty.  The estimate is close and it's what Wurm has used in the past. I'll keep doing this to finish it even if there is another option. Others can choose to not use it after all.

Why not just have WurmNode update the math if it's verifiably wrong?

Edited by Chakron

I think all three are important variables in the equation and so all three need to be selectable.

My own very simple spreadsheet produces the following two useful results using drop down boxes to look up player skill, rake QL and crop difficulty data from tables:

FIND CROP          
SELECT Player Skill Your Rake QL   Opt Difficulty Optimum Crop
Skaoi 98.915 93   75.9575 Garlic

FIND RAKE          
SELECT Player Skill Optimum Rake     SELECT Your crop:
Jo 71.264 88.736   60 Onion

Spoiler

[01:40:10] <Shydow> (skill + tool QL) / 2 - 20 = optimal difficulty

I could also work out the optimum skill needed (and thereby which toon to use), given any rake and crop combo but that is surplus to my requirements. :) 

Edited by Muse

@Muse  Thank you for that Shydow quote. I thought it was - 20 and not -10 ( like what is on WurmNode). But I want to point out that this is an estimate and is not the actual equation used in the code.

@ChakronIt should be a simple manner of changing WurmNode's tool. And that may very well be what happens.  WN can update their tool, host whatever I create, or I can put my tool on something like Fandom. It doesn't hurt to try different things, especially since I was the one spending the time to do it.

I still desperately want some feedback on the idea that farming skill can about predict rake skill. And to a lesser extent, nature skill. But given that nature skill's effect is reduced to 1/10 it's affect on bonus is small.

Here is an update for the advisor.  A Pen by Anon591 (codepen.io)

• The principal behind this advisor could be applied to many other skills. Because after all, all skills are just a Gaussian dice roll using difficulty and effective skill to shape and move the distribution around.
  • This likely could lay the foundation for a creation chance advisor.  Creation attempt is first allowed when about 6% of the Gaussian distribution values are greater than zero. Or that 94% are less or equal to 0. A wild guess is that this may require a mean at -20. The skill tool solves for mean of 20, the creation tool would need to solve for -20 (if that value is right mind you).

Note, I'm not sure what else I'll do on this. After reading the recent GM forum post about bugs and exploits I don't know if I want to play anymore. A game that thinks it's okay to enforce rules based on common sense and generalized or abstract opinions of right and wrong bothers me.

I think this is a great idea! Would be nice to have a better tool available. The WurmNode one is outdated and inaccurate, and even tho it kind of works, why settle for something mediocre if someone can make something that is good! More people coding Wurm tools is the ultimate goal! Keep on coding!

About the recent GM post, I think of it this way: The team is small, and the game is massive. It is impossible for them to fix all exploitable bugs. Imo a game where some people know how to exploit it, and gain benefits that others do not, is not a good option. So, putting some trust in that players want to keep Wurm fair is a good option. Also, some bugs might be very complex to fix, and would take way too much time (months if not years). In these cases, I would prefer them focusing on quality of life improvements, or even new features and just say "do not exploit those bugs, and we can have an overall better game together". :) yeah, it might feel wrong, but I still believe it is the only feasable option for them.

• Like 2

Other, based on my current skill, assuming I have X [crop type] planted, what should I plant after harvest. I feel like there's a space in farming time where your best skill gain will no longer be what you have in the ground, but the next item on the list. More skill could have been gained during the grow cycle had you planted the next crop up, instead of what is currently your top crop. 

I could be completely wrong here, these are assumptions.