Sign in to follow this  
Nirav

PVE Heraldic Banners Idea

I've been in Wurm for 7 years and in those years, have heard a ton of folks stating that they want to be able to make their own heraldry for their villages and alliances like the PMK art. I know that is not possible. The Devs would have to hire 3 times the people they have just to manage that alone. I have wondered often what could be done to adress this that would work for everyone. I figured that out today. 

My idea is based on actual historical heraldic devices. There were tons of ways a 'field' or area could be divided into smaller areas, but my idea is pretty simple. We have 2 or 4 different options. Party per fess is a field divided in half horizontally. Party per pale is a field divided in half vertically. Party per bend, and party per bend sinister divide the field diagonally either from the top left to bottom right, or the top right to bottom left. (Not shown here). 
If we had banners divided by a running stitch, that would allow us to put two colors on them in one of these 4 ways, or even the first two ways, as well as the ability to do this on shields, the PVE community would suddenly have a way to have semi-unique heraldry that was meaningful to the players, that would not cause the Devs to have to spend hours approving designs and working with players on the designs. Instead, this would be an ingame way to make deeds and alliances vastly more colorful and personalized in a way that we haven't been able to do thus far. The banners made with running stitches could be something that can be created with cloth tailoring 50, and the shields (not shown here) could come with shield-smithing 50 and have a ridge dividing the field. 
My request only asks that the regular banners and shields be optimized in this way. I don't know how difficult it would be to optimize the flags, wagons, and tall banners, or if the Devs would be willing to even go that far. I would be Thrilled with just the banners and shields. The Devs work really hard for little compensation. In your comments, please remember that they allow us to affect the game in many ways that other games don't, and while we would all love to design our own wagons, that is just never going to be possible. This idea might be possible.
My examples here are really simple - please do not look too closely at the jagged edges or bad representation of stitches - this is an idea only, and not something I would have submitted as a viable item ingame to the devs that I threw together in photoshop.

FBfJWBe.jpg

Party Per Fess

EuBL6Nd.jpg

Party Per Pale

• Like 6

Make it a cash shop item, or even loyalty points. Something to help offset the gfx work for more detailed work.

Granted some basic colors and shapes can be baked in for free.

• Like 2

Absolutely love the idea. My only addition would be to make the heraldic banners look a bit different in appearance than the current banner. Some slight variation, or perhaps a slightly smaller banner that is flat at the bottom. This would help distinguish between the PMK banners and the heraldic banners.

Also - and I am just musing here - each deed could have one heraldic banner design, which is controlled at the token. This design could be changed, but by keeping one heraldic banner per deed we wouldn't populate the world with too many random flags and the banner would actually mean something, as it would represent the deed.

Finally, because approving banner designs would consume too much developer time - perhaps the best idea would be to create a number of symbols that players could chose from at initial design creation (basically what Karrde suggested). This list could be always expanded as we go, and the symbols would appear over Nirav's background ideas, as he presented before.

Again, love the idea.

+1

• Like 1

i wholeheartedly support heraldry for deeds and/or for alliances come on allow us to show our pride in what we do please

Edited by kordethbludscythe
spelling edit

On 2/12/2023 at 3:09 AM, Karrde said:

Make it a cash shop item, or even loyalty points. Something to help offset the gfx work for more detailed work.

Granted some basic colors and shapes can be baked in for free.

I feel like you could probably avoid the need to implement each variation individually if you made the different parts render as different colourable layers. Similar to how Crusader Kings lets you design your own heraldic arms ingame using a series of different layers and textures that you can mix and match.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 7:02 AM, Ols said:

I feel like you could probably avoid the need to implement each variation individually if you made the different parts render as different colourable layers. Similar to how Crusader Kings lets you design your own heraldic arms ingame using a series of different layers and textures that you can mix and match.

Exactly!