Sign in to follow this  
Skymer

Investigation on Size and Volume Runes

I assume most of this is known in some way, but I wanted to write it down in one place.

What are the efects of size and volume runes on containers?

• The obvious part first: Volume runes change the volume a container can hold.
    • A pottery jar holds 2kg of water. A pottery jar with a +5% Volume rune will hold 2.1kg of water. A pottery jar with a +10% volume rune will hold 2.2kg of water.
    • It seems the volume is multiplied by (1+RuneValue)
  • Obvious the second: Size rune reduce the size of a container, allowing it to fit into other containers
  • Size runes also change the volume a container can hold.
    • A pottery bowl holds 9kg of water. A pottery bowl wit a 10% size reduction rune holds 6.561kg of water.
    • It seems the Volume is multiplied by (1+RuneValue)³
  • Size runes change the volume a container takes up inside another container
    • If you put the 10% size reduction pottery bowl inside a un-runed potterry bowl, it takes up about 6.57l of volume.
    • The volume containers take up is modified the same way as the volume they can hold.
  • Volume runes affect the volume a container takes up inside another container in the same way
    • The +10% Volume jar from earlier takes up 2.2l of Volume inside a pottery bowl.
    • Here also the volume containers take up is modified the same way as the volume they can hold.
  • Volume runes do not seem to change the size of items that containers can accept. I could not find an example where a container with increase Volume runes accepted items that its un-runed counterpart rejected.

The conclusions I take from all this:

• Size runes are more effective at increasing container volume than volume runes
    • a 5% size increase rune adds about 15% to the volume. a 10% size rune would add about 33% to volume, though it is only available as scaventer rune
  • There is no volume gained inside containers by filling it with different runed containers. Containers always take up the same amount of space that is available inside them (excluding the Bulk storage options).

If anyone has experiences that contradict any of my findings please let me know.  Also if someone can name a combination of containers where the usage of volume runes makes sense.

I did not have any increase size or decrease volume containers at hand. I merely assume their behaviour from their counterpart.

Edited by Skymer
  • Like 2

Some containers have their volume based on their size while some have a static volume which can only be changed using a volume rune.

Examples:

An LMC (and normal large chest) is based on size, so using a size rune is more effective than using a volume rune

A baking stone is a containers with a static volume not affected by size, so a size rune will do nothing to the volume. A volume rune is the only way to change the volume.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Borstaskor said:

Some containers have their volume based on their size while some have a static volume which can only be changed using a volume rune.

Examples:

An LMC (and normal large chest) is based on size, so using a size rune is more effective than using a volume rune

A baking stone is a containers with a static volume not affected by size, so a size rune will do nothing to the volume. A volume rune is the only way to change the volume.

Thank you very much for your insight. I will look out for runed baking stones to run further tests. Do you happen to have a complete list of which containers behave in which way?

What I did find is that some containers increase the size of their rendered model when adding volume runes, while others do not. Perhaps this difference could explain that.

Both the size and volume runes will change the volume.

Their volume is calculated from the x, y and z (in cm) dimensions of an item.

Multiplying those sizes and dividing by 1000 will give you the volume in liters.

For most items, size runes will have a bigger impact on their volume than volume runes.

The volume will be calculated using the size modified by the rune.

For most items the volume change for size runes is about (1+RunePercent)³ while it is (1+RunePercent) for volume runes.

So +5% size rune can change volume by 15% and a -10% size rune can change the volume by 27%.

For small items, the +volume rune can have more impact than +size runes on volume.

The size rune effect affects the x, y and z dimensions by adding the percentage and then rounding down to the nearest integer.

This rounding down will have a big impact on small dimensions.

For example, a baking stone has sizes x=15, y=25, z=35.

Applying a +5% size rune will change this to x=15.75, y=26.25, z=36.75, which is x=15, y=26, z=36 after rounding down.
The volume changes by less than 7% because the x-size did not change, the y-size has a change of 4% and the z-size has a change of less than 3%.

Containers usually have the same external and internal volumes.

So to fit more items in a large (magical) chest, it is best to use a size rune.

Some containers have specified internal sizes. Only volume runes will change the internal volume.

Some examples are forges, ovens, most vehicles and measuring jugs.

A size rune changes both internal and external sizes, which changes external volume like before, but internal volume is unaffected.

The volume rune changes both internal and external volume.

Edited by Arno