Darklords

2023 Roadmap

26 minutes ago, Omar said:

Access money from bank from character. 

Or all mailboxes. I run a little merchant near my deed on the highway and most people can't buy stuff as they pass because they can't get the coins. Would also like to see a log of what was sold and perhaps who bought it. The wurm economy is a huge selling point for this game IMO so making it more accessible is never a bad thing.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Darklords said:

We will be hitting PvP related things but we are rethinking the approach to that still and we will be discussing PvP stuff off on its own when we decide what route to take.

It is still pretty early in the planning so would love any suggestions people may have for what they would like to see out of that.

Perhaps 'workshop' tiles. Ie, you have to build a brick making station. It has two boxes, one for ingredients, and one for results. So lets say you load in 400 stone shards, you can just sit and click "Make bricks" once every minute or so, rather than having to deal with moving inventory and dealing with the pull item out of crate/bsb menu so much? that's the bit that hurts my wrist when doing bulk actions ^^; 

• Like 1

First i'm totally against "regular" auction house system like on AAA other MMOs like you open a UI, select what you want to sell/buy and click and have it.

Second i'm totally for the actual way to travel to go to the ingame Merchant NPC to buy things from or to make deliveries/pickup to/from other players etc ...

BUT i think there are things to change because the current system is just a spam every X minutes a WTB/WTS offer on Trade channel ... that's non-sense.

The idea is to improve the current system but keeping what makes Wurm particular and nice (from my point of view).

For example, we could have an item to see WTB/WTS ads but those should be written (with papyrus + reed pen?) and stay active for X days before getting automatically deleted.

You will have to craft this "Market board" to post an ad or read existing ads. I think something similar to the Village Recruitment Board https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Village_recruitment_board but for WTS/WTB ads.

This is an idea for "live" trading, like on Trade channel actually ingame where players are seeking for something to buy/sell, you will still have to contact the player to chat, discuss, negotiate, as today.

In fact, it's just a different way to post WTB/WTS ads via an item ingame with more persistency of the ads than spamming every X minutes a Trade channel.

Second idea is for Merchants NPC, could be displayed with the Market Board idea or something entirely different (cartography + stamps?) but the idea is to be able to automatically display merchants goods, with prices and search to find an item we are seeking for.

Once we find the wanted item, you will still have to go to the Merchant NPC ingame, traveling to buy it at Merchant NPC place as today.

For those using Merchants NPC as private storage for example, we could have an option on Merchant NPC admin to set it Private (invisible from the Merchants Goods database) or Public (displayed).

To sum up, nothing will really change you will still have to chat with other players, negotiate, deliver / pickup for "online" trading, travel to the Merchant NPC to buy for "offline" Trading.

It's just the way to post ads that differs.

Don't know if it's the right place to post it and sorry for my bad english ^^

• Like 4

@Finnn @Tor @Omar   I was addressing the first part of Omar's post and the following quote that apparently didn't appear in my post.

It gave the impression that with tools, the press of a single key could automate everything depending on the tile the key is pressed.

In any case, with harvest tools our mining digging harvesting sessions are usually at least tens and hundreds of actions. One more single key press to select the right tool at the start of the 10-20 actions session(if not much more) isn't that a big deal. Imping is another story, I agree.

6 hours ago, DADLER said:

One way to create fewer clicks is a general action that syncs with your toolbelt. So, if I have a pickaxe or shovel on my toolbelt.  I can press a quick button key and the game will know whether to mine/dig depending on the tile without activating each tool.

1 hour ago, Omar said:

Fix creation skillgain on things like Locksmithing and Ropemaking pleeeeease

Access money from bank from character. 

um... fix nonsense like stonecutting and whetstones, it's pretty impossible to make single ql100 whetstone without imbue on stone chisel, for easy path to take with imbue.. it seems pretty required and far from needed to grind any skill to get far and beyond decent results vs.. nothing good at high skill;

generally high skill and high ql tools for creation and gathering seems somewhat unrewarding; test and you'll frown;

in same category.. high ql veins aren't common.. at the same time.. it's pretty low successrate to mine decent high ql amount from them, no matter how high skill the player have, same for pickaxe ql, we have for years that terrible re-roll mechanic if roll was above ql100.. and that just kicks high skill rolls into trash QL.. -> ql100 felled tree only gives 1 log ql 100.. the last one, every other log is never reaching even close to high ql, not 99, not 100, 98 would be a fair lucky roll.. sadly fairly even game would be to compare 90-94 sklled player's avrg results and 99-100wc skilled player's avrg pile of logs because of the rerolls, lower skilled wont be as much affected by these, while high skill just penalizes high skill too much;

improving with metals like silver costs a lot.. vs 0.10kg lumps.. and pretty high difficulty to mine high ql shards.. from also rare to find at places.. veins(sure there are parts on maps where you'd find a cluster of 20 silver veins.. even there, how many are high ql..)

even if finding veins wasn't a problem.. some consideration for lump ql vs cost to improve with such would be nice.. consuming whole or half lump per imp is steep price..

1 minute ago, HenryofSkalitz said:

@Finnn @Tor @Omar   I was addressing the first part of Omar's post and the following quote that apparently didn't appear in my post.

It gave the impression that with tools, the press of a single key could automate everything depending on the tile the key is pressed.

In any case, with harvest tools our mining digging harvesting sessions are usually at least tens and hundreds of actions. One more single key press to select the right tool at the start of the 10-20 actions session(if not much more) isn't that a big deal. Imping is another story, I agree.

hardware macro is afaik ok to do a full queue of actions which you can do with 1 key press and cycle full rotation but not doing repeatable loops, for example at 50MindLogic -> you can do 6 action queue, if you do 7 with the HW macro.. you should be banned...

if you do 20 action que.. that seems to fall in same category

maybe I'm wrong?

*not speaking about "you.." you.. just in general

not using these so ruleset is fading on me

As a session I mean the total actions it took to finish the job, I was very conservative in order to show that even in small tasks its not a big deal to press 1 to select the pickaxe and mine 10 or 10000shards. 

12 minutes ago, Syhl said:

Second i'm totally for the actual way to travel to go to the ingame Merchant NPC to buy things from or to make deliveries/pickup to/from other players etc ..

What about people who have Real Lives to deal with, you know, the ones that only can be on for a couple of hrs at at time due to reasons? How will they participate? Its not like traveling between servers is fast, only when the wind is good, and even then, it depends on where you are going. Half the reason i rarely leave deed these days is cause of the time sink necessary to travel. 

7 hours ago, Darklords said:

We will be hitting PvP related things but we are rethinking the approach to that still and we will be discussing PvP stuff off on its own when we decide what route to take.

I know that my particular perspective on PvP may not be entirely welcome right now, however it has occurred to me recently that one of the all around issues with PvP in Wurm is that Staff can participate. it may be 'discouraged' in some respects, however they are not barred from the activitiy. While i understand that Staff are Gamers too, PvP has outright benifits beyond 'bragging rights' in game, at least in one respect - PMK Graphics and all the coin that comes from doing such a thing.

i've made some quiet inquiries about the 'staff not barred from pvp' situation - it rings alarm bells in other communities, without even mentioning that there are outright benifits to PvP in the game beyond bragging rights.

one common underlying tone ive come across is the concern that staff could abuse their own power in such a situation.

THAT BEING SAID: PvP having any benifit (beyond bragging rights) that PvE doesnt have is also a bad idea as well - We cant put any one play style over another here - "There is no one true way" to play this game.

How about adding 1 handed spears to the game. 1 handed spears were extremely common and was a preferred weapon for many soliders.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

What about people who have Real Lives to deal with, you know, the ones that only can be on for a couple of hrs at at time due to reasons? How will they participate? Its not like traveling between servers is fast, only when the wind is good, and even then, it depends on where you are going. Half the reason i rarely leave deed these days is cause of the time sink necessary to travel.

Don't be fooled by my avatar, i have real life to deal with !

I think the main reason ppl just travel and explore all those wide / wild lands is because they have a goal, maybe i'm self-focused and wrong but on PvE most of those travels are to deliver / pickup goods, remove that by creating a system where you can buy and sell things at your deed and you will almost never leave your deed (btw it seems to be already the case for yourself).

I don't think it's devs point to remove trading travels and add Exploration Update in the same time ...

• Like 2

Well i wouldnt see the point

3 minutes ago, Syhl said:

I think the main reason ppl just travel and explore all those wide / wild lands is because they have a goal, maybe i'm self-focused and wrong but on PvE most of those travels are to deliver / pickup goods, remove that by creating a system where you can buy and sell things at your deed and you will almost never leave your deed (btw it seems to be already the case for yourself).

I don't think it's devs point to remove trading travels and add Exploration Update in the same time ...

My apologies, but removing travel in any way wasn't what i meant at all, however there are some in-game mechanics that already ease a merchants life, like a wagoneer and outright merchants, and they get used on server alot still. Going out to explore should be on your own terms, not when you need to make a business deal. no one likes mixing business and pleasure.

however, cross server its still neceessary to travel, and ngl, when i have time i filp flop between servers. change of scenery for the treasure maps. NGL, would like more reason to travel cross server.

My only true request to the devs is to please update the Rose Bush and make it look more like the plant of divine beauty that it deserves to be 😞 But thank you for the update !

• Like 6

9 hours ago, JamesSnow said:

It's nice to see that updates are in place to improve to player retention, but players are currently being pushed out of the game. I think one of the most important areas that needs improvement is transparency and consistency in moderation. Numerous players/accounts have been removed from the game arbitrarily. The appeal process takes more time than the research that goes into permanently removing some of the most dedicated players from the game. Maybe a new year should be a fresh start for everybody who has previously been removed from the game for non-toxic player reasons. A lot of people have hesitation in dedicating serious time to this game when players have been removed on a whim with no explanation. 

I know if certain things are not addressed relatively soon this player won't be retained.  Certain communities within the game are being targeted and decimated with no explanation or timely reconciliation.  To the player base it certainly seems arbitrary and dare I say personal.  Players with years upon years of dedicated game time and financial investment having the game removed from them with no recourse, explanation, or opportunity for reconciliation.  It sure sounds great to want to create ways to ensure player retention but will words ever turn to action.   

Would also like to add that I am happy to see what was mentioned in the roadmap. I think it is very reasonable and will help keep people interested.

13 minutes ago, Savior said:

I know if certain things are not addressed relatively soon this player won't be retained.  Certain communities within the game are being targeted and decimated with no explanation or timely reconciliation.  To the player base it certainly seems arbitrary and dare I say personal.  Players with years upon years of dedicated game time and financial investment having the game removed from them with no recourse, explanation, or opportunity for reconciliation.  It sure sounds great to want to create ways to ensure player retention but will words ever turn to action.   

World is a better place without trash.

Remove gear drop on death on the PvE servers if you want to retain people. I'm willing to bet money that most new player retention issues are due to this. It really only penalizes new players. Again I'll state, only on the PvE servers.

• Like 3

Another helpful thing for lowering clicks is edit the craft window to allow multiple add-ons. Plank, Nail, shaft etc. And have it auti detect what it needs and take from it.

12 hours ago, Darklords said:

Spell Gems

Spell gems will be a new item we are introducing later this year to make enchants more accessible to newer players and add some QOL for players selling enchants to players. These gems will allow you to cast an item enchant onto them, recording your channelling level and any faith bonuses you had at the time and locking it into a gem. Another player can then use one of these to cast on an item as if they were you; this will function like a normal enchant with the same chance to shatter an item as the casting priest and will roll the spell power when using the gem not when creating it. We also plan to have versions of these capped at 30 power enchants drop/come from sources in the game to give newer players a chance to get some basic enchants while still leaving the market open for good enchants needing to come from priests. This one may be a little controversial and we would love to hear some feedback on it.

I hope that the info related to faith bonuses and channeling are displayed in someway or else we can troll people by lowering our faith bonuses to impact spell power negatively and then sell those and then if people complain go "well i can sell you another one if you want to try again" or any other number of scenario's where things could be less favorable for the buyer.

• Like 1

Love all the things mentioned on the roadmap, thank you to all the developers working hard to make the game much more enjoyable!  Thanks for the skins especially, since someone who missed out on the cute cactus skin due to real life impacting playtime, is very happy to have a chance getting another chance to buy it.

If possible could these be considered in the roadmap?

• Could we please remove the 21 BS limitation for players if they want to remove one wall in their own house to change it to a door or window? New players or those under 20 BS might be unpremmed and not able to get up to 21 BS, or play on GV, or not be able to get a random player to give permissions to do this (yet they can destroy their whole house with one click since they own the writ).  This also applies to fences (and flower boxes which for some weird reason are fences) on someone's own deed, could this please be lowered to 20 BS on someone's own deed?  That would be a great change for noobies and some priests too
  • If skins can be removed and reapplied it would be great, since it is only cosmetic, not sure this can be accomplished but worth asking anyway.
  • Dyable wagons instead of just "Freedom" template, similar to how we can dye beds, ships etc. , would also be fun.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Darklords said:

Skill QOL Pass

Wurm has many skills, but some of them can feel a bit more like filler or are just way more difficult than they need to be to train, for not much reason. This year we would like to find skills like this and work on rebalancing them, for example allowing using items from containers for taming like planting from containers works. We would love to see suggestions from people on which skills they think could use some attention in this area.

+1 please, I was recently repairing and improving stone walls and really wished (even tried unsuccessfully) that I could of used an inventory group like a container to activate the shards, its not like I couldn't keep a queue going but clicking every shard was unnecessarily painful.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HenryofSkalitz said:

If a tool is in inventory, it can automatically select the tool if you choose to make planks by right clicking a log.  If you have more than one saw, it can give the two tools with options to select the one you want to use for that session which can be wiped after you log out.

Imping is horrid as is, especially if you want to imp a ship or something large where you can't (or haven't) put it in a container to sort etc.  You have to continually read messages in events which is a nightmare if someone else is doing something in local, and it distracts from reading alliance chat etc.  No idea how to improve this, but thanks for looking at ways.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Darklords said:

New Player Retention Changes

It's no secret that Wurm can be a very challenging game to get into, but once someone learns it, they tend to stick around for a long time. Over the next year we plan to address this in several phases to hopefully guide players into having a smoother start when trying out Wurm for the first time. This will include the addition of a new system on top of Journals called Guides. These guides will walk you through some of the things we all take for granted, but can be extremely daunting for a new player. We plan for these to reward players with small amounts of sleep bonus as well as some items to help get your journey started as you progress through the guides. On top of this we want to rethink how hard iron can be to find without the use of public mines by making it much easier to scavenge for some small bits of iron inside mines. Along with guides, we also plan to redo the Journal UI to be much more user friendly and allow pinning of them to your UI similar to a quest tracker, so you can pin ones you're working on to see progress without needing to open menus. We also want to work to make messages clearer on why things are not working or what is blocking you from doing what you are trying to do.

Please update the Wiki on several items.  Many players, even experienced ones use the Wiki to help them whether it is just for reference or help when training new skills. 

Thank you  :)

24 minutes ago, Tukodama said:

Please update the Wiki on several items.  Many players, even experienced ones use the Wiki to help them whether it is just for reference or help when training new skills. 

Thank you  :)

If you encounter anything that need updating on wurmpedia you can easily get a hold of the wurmpedia team on the forums. Its an own section. :)

I agree that it should be updated, but this is mainly done by regular players like you, me and the wurmpedia team, and not necessarily by the dev team.

• Like 1