Darklords

2023 Roadmap

36 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

One thing that kills my wrist is moving the mouse around constantly to read labels on items, creatures, guard towers, etc. I'd love a keybind to temporarily display all hoverable items (or have a checklist to toggle what comes up) at once.

+1 for "OK"-extrasensory perception (ESP) hack..

39 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Docks and dying rugs? Please?

+1

there's no reason some items are not possible to dye easily.. (unless engine/etc.. chokes from too much data, etc.. as it seems we cache everything when we get into a "local"), flexibility with painting things freely could unlock better customization, decoration ideas and realization of such.. etc.. loong looooooooong looooooooooonnngg ago items were bland and blank.. default models, most could be painted now.. let them be painted easier with dye?

Improve effects from color runes.. make things shine with different color, rarity but orange?? or rune specific color?? items or vehicles.. they'll still need to be rare/supreme/etc.. to get the rarity benefits, color and shine is just visual effect after all

--edit

while at it...

we DESPERATELY need keybinds to preview and close "inspect animal", clicking specific random X on the screen is annoying;

- why?

pff.. why.. pff.. ok.. lets play that game.. imagine.. you had 1 file on your full desktop of icons.. and it shuffles... every hour you need to find the right file... now you go and open them one by one.. and close the window by clicking the X button, because it's functional duuhh, right, simple, "fun"..

sure...

but.. you'll be doing that every hour and there's NO Alt+F4, no way to make things easier, there's only suggestions and these have been ignored for a year.. or left behind because of reasons..

that's the state of animal husbandry and breeding creatures, there's nothing to help you like lead parent A.. and have a visual OK - NOT-OK to breed with.. because of negative traits or inbreeding, opposite genders and good/bad traits or related other creatures could have some color or visual feedback; also there's absolutely no feedback which male is in cooldown, same for females after birth, same for females during pregnancy, holy cow.. are you scared from ever dealing with animal husbandry and all that mess, no? ha-hah... try breeding hell horses and be burned, bitten, attacked, etc constantly while dealing with all the mess above;

there's also no way to figure which creature is 4speed or 4 draft at a glance or have point-over-see-it-all to make a decision - always involves a lot of windows to be opened and closed manually via right clicks..., there's no way to breed and choose to breed and try rng dice for mix of the two or either as result, it's dice work, we still keep low skill characters to get best results and rare traits.. old issues, and way more gamba results to juggle around, at the same time pvp maps have fast breeding and transfer?

that's the state of AH everyday gameplay.. 

any qol's welcome there

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 2

Reworking player actions is the best thing you can do with the skills rework.

Create minigames for some skills, I know it's more work but make the mini games skill based and not about mind numbing repetitive actions. Let blacksmiths get high ql items for being better at blacksmithing and not just repeating actions over and over. Keep the current system in place for the neckbeards who hate change, but add another crafting table for the skill based minigame for crafting and make it engaging!

This is coming from someone who's played on and off since 2007 and seen hundreds of players come and go. 

Also, make people have a reason to keep playing on pve servers, like village wide goals and perks. Or maybe crafting specific quests that give you bonuses to improving or rare chance generation. 

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 2

Another alternative to giving new players access to casts thru gems would be to implement an account system with 5 slots that are role locked: 1 crafter and 1 of each priest and then you use the gems so they can unlock that spell to be casted by their priest despite not having the faith to unlock it themselves and can cast said spell 1 time/ gem ql.

So for instance a Mag priest with 50 faith can use an 80ql strongwall gem and cast strongwall 80 times untill needs to have another one.

This way all players have access to a priest of each type and they can grind chanelling bringing the economy of favor buying back in style while having access to spells higher than they current faith.

The problem with this is that everyone will have their 4 priests at a sermon grp and just get giant faith ticks which will remove the need for spell gems fairly fast.

2 hours ago, Darklords said:

Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size.

Well this one will be challanging. One one side the current clicking a lot on lists as a system is some what outdatetd but it works for the slow context of Wurm. Reworking aspects of it toutches on a fundamental gameplay feeling of Wurm. This will require a lot of A/B Testing and iterations to find a solution and in the end even then maybe need to be trowen out. I am sure it is possible but currently I can see how without makign Wurm feels TO diffrent then befor. This is somthing where I hope we all can agree to better keep the current system even if its mediocer then if we get one that have eaten a lot of Dev time but is bad.

Karma and Spell gems are the ones I'm most excited about! Nice. 

Decorations, Decorations, Decorations.

Dying things .. big YES to Seriphina's Dying suggestion.  

There are so many of us who are not here to kill, kill , kill , but to make our game world, and more the more options the better our little world. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JamesSnow said:

It's nice to see that updates are in place to improve to player retention, but players are currently being pushed out of the game. I think one of the most important areas that needs improvement is transparency and consistency in moderation. Numerous players/accounts have been removed from the game arbitrarily. The appeal process takes more time than the research that goes into permanently removing some of the most dedicated players from the game. Maybe a new year should be a fresh start for everybody who has previously been removed from the game for non-toxic player reasons. A lot of people have hesitation in dedicating serious time to this game when players have been removed on a whim with no explanation. 

Removing cheaters sounds like a QOL update to me.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, JamesSnow said:

It's nice to see that updates are in place to improve to player retention, but players are currently being pushed out of the game. I think one of the most important areas that needs improvement is transparency and consistency in moderation. Numerous players/accounts have been removed from the game arbitrarily. The appeal process takes more time than the research that goes into permanently removing some of the most dedicated players from the game. Maybe a new year should be a fresh start for everybody who has previously been removed from the game for non-toxic player reasons. A lot of people have hesitation in dedicating serious time to this game when players have been removed on a whim with no explanation. 

I agree on improved transparency, but you lose me after that.  It seems you are suggesting that cheating and using exploits is totally fine as long as you don't do it in a toxic way?

• Like 4

So is AH getting left in it's horrible current state for another year? I thought it was something being looked at?

rage burns grooming brushes

So, so, so beyond sick of 90 AH skill producing 2 speed, 3 misc, 1 output foals from pure 4 speed parents.

That aside, some interesting things on the menu.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DADLER said:

One way to create fewer clicks is a general action that syncs with your toolbelt. So, if I have a pickaxe or shovel on my toolbelt.  I can press a quick button key and the game will know whether to mine/dig depending on the tile without activating each tool.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also why do people with a macro keyboard or mouse get to have one click imp, and new players get tortured with selecting from toolbelt every time they imp? Or one click full action que dig/mine etc. This should be in the game by default.

12 minutes ago, Grumpled said:

So is AH getting left in it's horrible current state for another year? I thought it was something being looked at?

rage burns grooming brushes

So, so, so beyond sick of 90 AH skill producing 2 speed, 3 misc, 1 output foals from pure 4 speed parents.

Learn2play

Shearing.

I think you need to clean up the categories and rethink what goes where, because this was very difficult to read in order to get a grasp of the big picture.

Edit:
Seems like a good roadmap

Edited by Aeris

1 really good question is... is it possible to have generic normal marketplace for items sold from traders or different kind?

Maybe for the skins? and other items... new recipes, unique items only sold on shop even if they are literally already skinned hammer/pickaxe or w/e..

Non-shatter items sold as ql1, but triggering full nonshatter protection only if their QL is 90 or higher? Also enchants can't ever go past 100 for such?

Creates ultimate marketplace skiller item, while it keeps player market of crafted and sold items intact, you'll still want rare items for the +1/2/3ql boosts;

maybe keep enchant decay on such bought market items to 50% of rare items or flat even to rare type.. at the same time add possibility to add 2 runes, where necessary prevent certain applications if something's too overpowering.

Why... game needs a marketplace... and there's nothing as web or ingame market.. there are only the traders and they are plain boring...

Let people use their mobile phones to buy trader goods.. there's really more reasons to do it than the few not to..

Ingame market should be simple but allowing preview of items.. basic rotation, dye work and application of sample, custom presets of colors (several set colors and option to put whatever rgb the player wants to preview), at the same time.. allow drag/drop preview in a window or in the world(as client side, only to the one previewing) maybe;

This will allow people to paint items they want to buy and make their mind.. self-sell to themselves things they's otherwise not had hand-on experience to try and get to the "hell yea, lets buy that".

For example (random marketplace google images result..)

Launching-Your-NFT-Marketplace-for-Play-

Imagine previewing a sword or shield... and being able to select it from a menu like that.. then do some dye work for the dyeable ornaments, zoom/rotate/maybe preview that item equipped on your cahracter with a checkbox.. as you play with the customization, do you think you'd be more likely to have a goal while you play the game.. lets go buy xx/x silver, buy that item and find some dye?.. no?

Help people spend...

Edited by Finnn

What about old pmk's that have been bust a 1 year plus being thrown into the rift/prem rewards rotation? Quite honestly a lot of the skins are about dead or near enough because they just don't circulate at all.

Another would be for the  Rites to be given a token to use or a slot inside journal to claim instead of just auto taking it. Unfortunately alot of the time they are just popped with little warning which is a bit of a pain so you end up missing out, or just popping for skill ticks which is a bit of a waste.

For medi ticks can refresh finally fix the CCFP portions of things? Its kinda useless without that ..

3 hours ago, Darklords said:

Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size.

Skill QOL Pass

Wurm has many skills, but some of them can feel a bit more like filler or are just way more difficult than they need to be to train, for not much reason. This year we would like to find skills like this and work on rebalancing them, for example allowing using items from containers for taming like planting from containers works. We would love to see suggestions from people on which skills they think could use some attention in this area.

Character Customisation Improvements

Wurm character customisation, as has been pointed out, is clearly lacking in diversity of options for players to choose from. While we likely won’t have the resources to fully overhaul character customisation this year, we are committed to adding new options to the existing system to allow people to better express themselves and how they want to look in the world of Wurm.

So, I really like the actions rework, it can be hard especially if your dealing with joint pain like many wurmians do. So for me, visual differences means less i gotta examine things. Would be nice if we could see icons for what an item needs to be improved with for objects we cant hold to improve or a mouse-over for unfinished walls, fences, items and the like sitting on the ground showing what it needs to be completed in it's tooltip. 

Skill qol pass,

Giving us a concrete difficulty and a way to increase it for skills in general would make life so much easier, would love a lore option to tell you the current difficulty of using a tool on an object for example. Theres a lot of skills that just don't have very good difficulty scaling and it makes them annoying and impractical to skill up.
Papyrus Making, Lock Smithing, Milling, Metallurgy are all extremely annoying to raise and take an extreme amount of effort for little benefit. at 50 milling your ql of milled items only goes up marginally but takes an intense amount of effort to get there. Metallurgy is similar, the materials it makes are useful but raising it is just murder, Lock Smithing, the end result locks can be useful but raising it is boring as heck and creates a lot of useless items. Would be nice if we had more complex locks or make locks improvable. Papyrus Making is currently big useful because papyrus is used for making cartography maps but raising it relies on improving books which is a lot of effort for a very slow payoff. Alchemy/Natural Substances needs more to it, why cant we make poison potions or similar to add to weapons, armor, items etc.

Character Customizations:

A simple addition would be let us have a 'clothing layer" over armor. For instance I have a supreme bracelet but to wear it i cant wear a sleve, i've never had to rip off a sleve to wear a bracelet in real life ever... capes would be cool tho impractical. but just being able to wear and display a set of cloth items on a visual layer and still be wearing armor would be nice.

Another point i'll raise is PvP is annoying to participate in when you lose skills because of it. Same for losing affinities. Originally it was there because you could only naturally get one and stealing them was the only way to get more, but now that we have systems in place to get them or buy them. It feels impractical to punish a player for playing PvP and losing skills and affinities, players with higher skills or a lot of affinities are not as motivated to participate anymore and I feel like that might help with pvp and player retention a bit. Just my 2 coppers tho.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Omar said:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also why do people with a macro keyboard or mouse get to have one click imp, and new players get tortured with selecting from toolbelt every time they imp? Or one click full action que dig/mine etc. This should be in the game by default.

Do you want to mine with your pickaxe or do you want to prospect?

Do you want to dig with your shovel or do you want to cultivate?

Do you want to harvest with your sickle or do you want to prune? or to pick sprouts?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, roarkindrake said:

What about old pmk's that have been bust a 1 year plus being thrown into the rift/prem rewards rotation? Quite honestly a lot of the skins are about dead or near enough because they just don't circulate at all.

Another would be for the  Rites to be given a token to use or a slot inside journal to claim instead of just auto taking it. Unfortunately alot of the time they are just popped with little warning which is a bit of a pain so you end up missing out, or just popping for skill ticks which is a bit of a waste.

For medi ticks can refresh finally fix the CCFP portions of things? Its kinda useless without that ..

What about once in a while ccab/dev/ promoted wagon art?

Thig is.. we like the customization.. we do not favor kingdoms after all.

Where the art comes from does not matter at all.

This will give pmks reason to be more serious and theme better their art if it's aiming to monetize from it.

it's a win win.. also we get to have something decent once in a while, hopefully...

How about letting a parent skill affect its sub skills a bit more then according to wiki a small amount to success chance. Half of my affinities are parent skills that I'm told don't really do much of anything other then getting titles at certain levels. Maybe let skill ticks in a parent skill pass half the amount gained down to its sub skills. 

2 minutes ago, HenryofSkalitz said:

Do you want to harvest with your sickle or do you want to prune? or to pick sprouts?

hardware macro lets you prune, prune, prune, harvest, pick sprout, move on to next tile where you need to click again

this only tax you with 1 second fatigue cost per tried action even if it does nothing I think... and this is the time where you could consume your rarity window

which by simplicity sounds great, in reality.. as normal gameplay we get victimized by that mechanic more than we should... while if it's removed it benefits greatly people repeating actions to farm rare system and maps as the two are tied

maybe that will change one day to have efficient bot/macro catcher and at the same time provide better human gameplay feedback and reward system, currently high skill does not matter, you can be good rarity system "exploiter" and make more than people who have spent time to get somewhere *shrugs* 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Omar said:

Learn2play

Shearing.

I think you missed the point of my post, which is that all the shearing and AH skill in the world won't fix crappy breeding outcomes for higher skill.

Also it's hard to rage burn shears in a forge :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HenryofSkalitz said:

You kinda got it backwards

Yeah i wanna do all of those actions with the sickle, shovel and pick i have it on the toolbelt, so don't ask me to click it again because obviously i wanna use them and not other tools. When i press a mine button (hotkey, repeat) it means i wanna mine with that pick. Or if i click improve button(hotkey, repeat) over an item that can be improved with a log and i have a log assigned on my toolbelt it means i wanna use that log so don't ask me to select it. Wanna use different tools? Assign them on the toolbelt or change the preset

It would be so much better that way

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Galatyn said:

Please consider including the mount in recall home, as well.

Yes please!!!

I have little kids and regularly need to step away at a moment's notice. This keeps me from traveling very much as it is a long trip back home. And I'd rather not travel than leave my horse somewhere in the world that needs to be retrieved later.

2 hours ago, HenryofSkalitz said:

I want to set the default of that tool :)

• Like 1

Fix creation skillgain on things like Locksmithing and Ropemaking pleeeeease

Access money from bank from character. 

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2