Darklords

2023 Roadmap

roadmap.png

Hello everyone,

It's 2023 and as mentioned we wanted to give everyone an update on some of the things we have planned out for this year. This is not a comprehensive list as we plan to pull many things from player suggestions as we move through this year. We will be taking deep dives into the suggestion forums each month to find QOL and changes that will matter the most to everyone so be sure to let us know by posting your suggestions. With that in mind, here are some of the things we hope you bring to you this year on top of Holy Sites/Goblin Camps/Suggested QOL. 

Rift Rewards Rework

Most of the rift rewards have less than interesting or useful effects, we want to change that this year. We have gone over the rift rewards and reworked many of them to have more interesting and useful uses as well as ways to recharge them now.

New Karma Uses

Currently the uses for Karma are rather lacklustre especially if you have no Karma Abilities unlocked. We would like to introduce some new ones as well as updating some old ones to be more useful. One example is allowing karma home to take the creature you are riding on back with you on freedom servers as for most, they would rather walk back then leave behind their dear companion. We do intend to add new uses as well but we are not quite ready to give out a list of them yet.

New Player Retention Changes

It's no secret that Wurm can be a very challenging game to get into, but once someone learns it, they tend to stick around for a long time. Over the next year we plan to address this in several phases to hopefully guide players into having a smoother start when trying out Wurm for the first time. This will include the addition of a new system on top of Journals called Guides. These guides will walk you through some of the things we all take for granted, but can be extremely daunting for a new player. We plan for these to reward players with small amounts of sleep bonus as well as some items to help get your journey started as you progress through the guides. On top of this we want to rethink how hard iron can be to find without the use of public mines by making it much easier to scavenge for some small bits of iron inside mines. Along with guides, we also plan to redo the Journal UI to be much more user friendly and allow pinning of them to your UI similar to a quest tracker, so you can pin ones you're working on to see progress without needing to open menus. We also want to work to make messages clearer on why things are not working or what is blocking you from doing what you are trying to do.

Spell Gems

Spell gems will be a new item we are introducing later this year to make enchants more accessible to newer players and add some QOL for players selling enchants to players. These gems will allow you to cast an item enchant onto them, recording your channelling level and any faith bonuses you had at the time and locking it into a gem. Another player can then use one of these to cast on an item as if they were you; this will function like a normal enchant with the same chance to shatter an item as the casting priest and will roll the spell power when using the gem not when creating it. We also plan to have versions of these capped at 30 power enchants drop/come from sources in the game to give newer players a chance to get some basic enchants while still leaving the market open for good enchants needing to come from priests. This one may be a little controversial and we would love to hear some feedback on it.

Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size.

Placing Older Items On Walls

With the introduction of placing items on walls it is only natural for people to ask when we will be expanding this to allow older items to be placed in such ways and I have good news for you: we intend to do just that this year! Unfortunately this process is a bit time consuming and each item we want to support will likely need its model reworked slightly to support such things, so this is likely to be a slower process of us releasing a handful of items at a time.

Skill QOL Pass

Wurm has many skills, but some of them can feel a bit more like filler or are just way more difficult than they need to be to train, for not much reason. This year we would like to find skills like this and work on rebalancing them, for example allowing using items from containers for taming like planting from containers works. We would love to see suggestions from people on which skills they think could use some attention in this area.

Old Monthly Skin Sales

This one has been highly requested and I am happy to say we will be implementing a rotating pool of old monthly skins that will be for sale each month alongside the new one. Skins will need to be older than a year to show back up, but any skins released more than 1 year ago will have a chance to be purchased again from time to time.

New Decorations

Everyone likes decorations and while Wurm is full of them, it's never a bad time for more. We plan to have several batches of new placeable decoration items for you to decorate your houses/deeds. These will likely follow some themes, with a batch of placable decorations being released as they are ready.

Character Customisation Improvements

Wurm character customisation, as has been pointed out, is clearly lacking in diversity of options for players to choose from. While we likely won’t have the resources to fully overhaul character customisation this year, we are committed to adding new options to the existing system to allow people to better express themselves and how they want to look in the world of Wurm.

• Like 77
  • Cat 3

10 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Old Monthly Skin Sales

This one has been highly requested and I am happy to say we will be implementing a rotating pool of old monthly skins that will be for sale each month alongside the new one. Skins will need to be older than a year to show back up, but any skins released more than 1 year ago will have a chance to be purchased again from time to time.

I see nothing I at all dislike or think is kinda weird or wasted. I dig this.

No VR update though?

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 15
  • Cat 2

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to see where this year takes us!

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

Sounds all good, but this

"Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size."

is worring.

Take your time with that one.

Maybe one or two decades.

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Rift Rewards Rework

Most of the rift rewards have less than interesting or useful effects, we want to change that this year. We have gone over the rift rewards and reworked many of them to have more interesting and useful uses as well as ways to recharge them now.

New Karma Uses

Currently the uses for Karma are rather lacklustre especially if you have no Karma Abilities unlocked. We would like to introduce some new ones as well as updating some old ones to be more useful. One example is allowing karma home to take the creature you are riding on back with you on freedom servers as for most, they would rather walk back then leave behind their dear companion. We do intend to add new uses as well but we are not quite ready to give out a list of them yet.

Old Monthly Skin Sales

Character Customisation Improvements

Wurm character customisation, as has been pointed out, is clearly lacking in diversity of options for players to choose from. While we likely won’t have the resources to fully overhaul character customisation this year, we are committed to adding new options to the existing system to allow people to better express themselves and how they want to look in the world of Wurm.

YESS

Sounds great, looking forward to it all!

• Like 3

YES, SI, OUI!
Most if not all of the things stated here are welcome changes from my point of view.

Great work folks, I look forward to seeing these things in-game!

Thanks for giving us this sneak peak at what you have planned for us.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Spell Gems

Is this only enchants, or will it work for strongwall, player buffs etc?

is there nothing pvp related planned for 2023

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size.

I hope dredging will become equal to digging this year. I am procrastinating a ton of dredging because it is so tedious to do large areas. 

• Like 3

really cool plan i am still waiting on some changes in fighting system like would be really cool if get reworked for example there is game called mordhau and they have really attractive fighting system i think wurm could get something more similar to modern games than this old fighting windown also i thinked about skill like body speed that could make player run faster i don't know if somone will read it but is ok

Edited by Neutral

find a way to keep track of who shattered what and where.. as gems with craB channeling etc.. will allow non and priests of any kind f2p/prem player go around and be a shattermancer

98b7cad16f645fd0667f87f0ec0fa294.png

27 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Actions Rework

All I will say that's not bleeding positivity is please don't prove the people who took the pish out of new fishing right. Some aspects of new fishing ended up so complicated it drove many away from the system because of how painfully involved it was to get the right gear for what you want. I don't think the comparison is there, certainly not yet, but just please god don't prove the fearmongers right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Is this only enchants, or will it work for strongwall, player buffs etc?

is there nothing pvp related planned for 2023

2 minutes ago, Deltadoggg said:

PvP needs some McLovin 😢

We will be hitting PvP related things but we are rethinking the approach to that still and we will be discussing PvP stuff off on its own when we decide what route to take.

2 minutes ago, Felthanne said:

I hope dredging will become equal to digging this year. I am procrastinating a ton of dredging because it is so tedious to do large areas. 

9 minutes ago, Beewolf said:

Sounds all good, but this

"Actions Rework

We are still in the earlier planning stages of this but the idea is to make interacting with the world more enjoyable and less click intensive. We will get more out on this when we have more information as this is going to be a longer project this year due to its size."

is worring.

Take your time with that one.

Maybe one or two decades.

It is still pretty early in the planning so would love any suggestions people may have for what they would like to see out of that.

• Like 5

It’s a real shame PvP doesn’t get a mention in the road map again 😕 be nice to get some love and allow the rest of the community to know we exists.

I appreciate you are currently working on things but we could benefit from some publicity rather than it being hid behind it’s own tab

Edited by Pnutp
  • Like 7

Still reading through this but I think an amazing QoL fix would be inventory category memory. Currently if you, for example, equip items from a category and then unequip it, it will go into general inventory. It would be fabulous if the categories had a "memory" that the items went back into their respective category.

• Like 15

Literally nothing new, only some fixes. For the whole year. Makes me think.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Votip said:

Literally nothing new, only some fixes. For the whole year. Makes me think.

i hope something about pvp and fighting will come out

While being at gems.. and priests can do anything etc.. when are non-priests getting equal ground in a fight vs priest?

Since before body stats kept priests weaker.. but that's long gone, yet there are no buffs to combat for nonpriests, at all.

Assuming something like runes.. will be called equal ground.. where nonpriests will depend on priests to cast gems and "have equal abilities" which is pretty far from the truth.. if all you can do is depending on 3rd party always.

No? How so?

Praying as priest to altar gives you gems, but non-priests get only mushrooms and junk?

#wogic?

Non pirests "can't use gems for crafting", sell or use gems on their priests?

@Darklords

Edited by Finnn
typo
  • Like 2

It's nice to see that updates are in place to improve to player retention, but players are currently being pushed out of the game. I think one of the most important areas that needs improvement is transparency and consistency in moderation. Numerous players/accounts have been removed from the game arbitrarily. The appeal process takes more time than the research that goes into permanently removing some of the most dedicated players from the game. Maybe a new year should be a fresh start for everybody who has previously been removed from the game for non-toxic player reasons. A lot of people have hesitation in dedicating serious time to this game when players have been removed on a whim with no explanation. 

• Like 14

So a year of nothing but fixes and some QoL improvements, no real new content. Same old same old completing ignoring one part of the community the PVP one. Why don’t y’all just delete every pvp server and make the game PvE since you continue to neglect it. 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 4

One thing I never understood.. why player's right click pulls server available actions.. instead of actions being set client-side in json or w/e... on dirt.. with shovel as activated tool -> be able to do this/that..

Eventually passing things like that to clientside will help making client themes and remove on our own actions we don't want.. or maybe add some that work but currently aren't a thing(cant think of any), for example.. no reason to have right click on players and see "inspect animal", unsure if that was ever removed....

Get-Info from pok abilities.. both are completely useless and ignored, neither had a buff or rework, both have zero functionality, Z E R O... unless you have f2p or pair alts and farm them for affinities on pvp maps and need to sort what you work with..

Maybe some kind of rework or buffto get-info to have some value?

On the other hand.. we could use tool/hand/own-body as target to trigger get-info and see local surrouncings as threats, currently the use for this ability is zero... also .. 99% of the time it's wasted and once a day use .... while we farm or dig.. "great"..

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Darklords said:

We will be hitting PvP related things but we are rethinking the approach to that still and we will be discussing PvP stuff off on its own when we decide what route to take.

It is still pretty early in the planning so would love any suggestions people may have for what they would like to see out of that.

One way to create fewer clicks is a general action that syncs with your toolbelt. So, if I have a pickaxe or shovel on my toolbelt.  I can press a quick button key and the game will know whether to mine/dig depending on the tile without activating each tool.

• Like 3