Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Server creature questions

questions

1. Is it correct that mobs (hostile and not) do not naturally 'breed' or slowly increase in population over time but rather only spawn as a replacement for mobs killed or dead from natural death. Thus, keeping the server mob counts at a specific level.

2. I assume that if I go out and kill a bunch of hostiles that new hostiles will be spawned to match my % number of hostiles on the server?

3. Do I need to keep my server running in order for that to happen, or does it happen automatically on restart?

The core problem/concern: I have my mob % at 10% which is actually where I like it (although I might move it up to 15%). My concen howeever is that if my understanding is incorrect I might kill reduce my hostiles even more (by killing) and it might not return.

scorpions is the main issue, I want to make bridges. 

We've found that if players over-hunt a particular species - usually hell hounds, hell scorpions, hell horses - the mobs become extinct on the server and never come back at all. I don't know what the threshold for extinction is, but it's definitely not necessary to kill every single one to make them never spawn again.  That said, in general your aggressive mobs respawn to return to the % you set, though there is no guarantee you'll get the same types of mobs or even in the same area of the world.

thanks, that is what I assumed regarding randomizing.

good to know not to kill all of one type.

I also think I read you can tell if a new spawn has happened if there is damage to the hive. I know where my scorpion hive is, its currently 0 damage

Edited by Tux

On 2/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, Tux said:

I also think I read you can tell if a new spawn has happened if there is damage to the hive.

Our mob spawners have never taken any damage at all, so I don't think this is accurate.