Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Forum emojis broken for anyone else?

Every single emoji has a broken image link in front of it. Makes them quite ugly and unusable. Is it just me? Has this been an issue for a while?

They seem wierd indeed. :) 

❤️

Edited by Nordlys

Moved to technical issues.  Looking into the issue.

I'm struggling a little to reproduce it - can anyone who had the issue previously confirm whether it's still happening, please?  Also, try closing and re-opening the emoji window in the editor - sometimes it takes a little while to load and you get a stale cache of part-loaded images.

Yes, still happening. Still looks just like Finnn's image above

Its currently only 2 emojis that are working correctly. They are also showing correctly on the image Finn posted.

Weird, I'm getting the usual sort of thing here, although it does take some seconds to fully load in:

f87aa88dca22f3b99d6adeb0834229d6.png

I'm wondering whether this is some sort of network route / congestion issue, i.e. it depends on where you are.  I'm not seeing anything off in settings or logs.  I shall continue to investigate.

Oh, i see that a few more than two are correct for me now.

Im using chrome, if thats interesting:
fYY3YD4.png

Nordlys is onto something. I get the broken image thingys on Chrome, but on Firefox all the emojis look perfect.

(But if it's still being shown as looking like that on Chrome, it should be fixed for Chrome users, IMO.)

I am on Firefox and the emojis have been "broken" (for want of a better word) for me for a while now.

I first noticed that they looked different, more cartoony bigger and some have a black outline around them, and they take forever to load. If I have the game open while trying to update my post they don't load all the way at all. As you can see some of them just show the top left corner of the Emoji, which makes it very hard to tell what they are on some of them. So its not just a Chrome issue.

sw9fGf7.png

Edited by Kementari
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:38 PM, Pandalet said:

I'm wondering whether this is some sort of network route / congestion issue, i.e. it depends on where you are.  I'm not seeing anything off in settings or logs.  I shall continue to investigate.

I am pretty sure MaxCDN is broken, therefore emojis cannot be loaded.

Edit: Yes, MaxCDN is definitly no longer delivering emojis.  And there is a merge request at twitter https://github.com/twitter/twemoji/pull/581

For example: https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/2764.png

They are also already forwarding the call from MaxCDN to cdnjs but my guess is that the forum uses such an old version of twemoji that they are not supported anymore.

Tell a technical person to contact me if you still struggle to find a solution for this.

Edited by Sklo:D

I've applied a temporary fix (which unfortunately may not work for everyone), but the longer-term solution relies on an upgrade to the software running our forums.  This is on the list of stuff that needs doing, but I don't have a definite date as yet (Soon!)

Clearing your browser caches may fix things for now.  I apologise for the issue in the interim.

• Like 1

😱works..

Ctrl+F5 to reload and "clear cache" for current page, unsure if that will magically handle the domain for whole forum or work per-thread, either way kind of .. works now..

7c18fc9ab07ac8e79e0c7d27d2a1e49e.png

Edited by Finnn