Sign in to follow this  
BoulderDash

does wurm need a storyline?

sandbox games like wurm are great and all but without a story, i feel that it gets stale and boring.

just think if wurm's missions were not just some random mess but were instead quests from wood cutters, chefs, kings, queens, royals, theves, priests of the gods, fishermen and even rougue monsters. 

there are already god avatars that spawn during quests so why not other types of avatars when a quest is active? 

here is an example storyline, i suggest:

the world of wurm started with the birth of 4 entities.

first there was darkness, brought forth by the goddess Libila

then there was the flaming light of fire brought forth by the god Magranon

what followed was the lush waters of creation, brought forth by the goddess Vynora

finally the world was populated by creatures and plants of all sizes by the god Fo

however things can only stay blissful for so long

out of the sand came the gods greatest creation

wurmians!

these creatures started to create their own kingdoms and as they grew, they become afraid of the darkness.

they turned to the gods for help with their illusions but all was not well for the wurmians had cast out the goddess of darkness Libila, from their hearts.

this angered Libila but she could forgive them....however, this soon shattered when the divine entities of Magranon, Vynora and Fo had massive temples built in their honour.

not only that but the wurmians destroyed Libila's temples and removed her from the story of creation.

this sent Libila into a rage and in her fury she became one with the darkness, with chaos.

she grew black giant wings and a scythe was summoned from the void.

these pitiful creatures would learn their mistake!

Libila started to corrupt the creatures of the world to form heartless monsters of darkness.

these minions would do her bidding but it was not enough!

she had to taint the hearts of as many wurmians as she could by any means.

so came unto the world sleep powder and coins!
Libila summoned giant dragons and trolls for the wurmians to squabble over.

she made the moon Jackal into her domain and created an entire kingdom of demons on its surface.

with this new kingdom set, she opened up a portal and sent her neverending hoards of darkness down onto the lands of wurm.

this was war on the wurmians who had forsaken her!

war on the so called gods of light who had betrayed her trust!

so we find ourselves in the fog of war for the lands of wurm

will you join the fight and save the world from darkness?

or will you become corrupted by the evil in your heart and join the Horde?

the choice is yours

--------------------------------------

this came about because i've seen so many people say that wurm is a sandbox game and so we should create our own adventures but sometimes i feel that it is good to have some guidelines or missions to follow.  

i'm thinking of old school runescape with its lots of quests and storyline.  even if it is not something as big as gods and goddess's waging war.  

what do you think?

Edited by BoulderDash
  • Like 1

Wurm itself already has a rich player made story when you go back through the game itself, the dramas and everything - sure it isn't a traditional story but I can tell you stories about the first boat bridges on Indy, stories about the day gold was shut down etc ... theres tons of 'real' story made by the players. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blazecraze said:

Wurm itself already has a rich player made story when you go back through the game itself, the dramas and everything - sure it isn't a traditional story but I can tell you stories about the first boat bridges on Indy, stories about the day gold was shut down etc ... theres tons of 'real' story made by the players. 

Maybe what we really need is for someone to take on the task of a historian and document all the player made history. It would be a big task, but like you said... Wurm has a player history that stretches' many years. I wish we documented it as we went along...

• Like 2

Naughtiness vs Emptiness?
Prefer a storyline about the naughty behaviours in wurm. At least there are something.
A story of emptiness is still empty. Good luck.

I read alot of player and deed pages on wiki in my early days, and loved to hear my neighbour tell me about Wild and all those old stories.
At some point player pages were discontinued it seems.

The story of Mol-Rehan vs Ken-Jellon on Chaos, for example, is worth telling. It was fairly long and there were many chapters to it. I wonder if anyone documented it all...

the title of the post reminds me of the star wars galaxies trailer back in the day , " the story is yours".

There used to be a few actual writers who would create one of shorts of events from the ageless here and there and either release them on the old forums(pre 2008) or on the wiki and they were basically seen as cannon by those who loved them it contained a lot of amazing stuff but almost all of it is now gone.

So much has been lost to the sands of time when it comes to wurm's story pre kingdoms sending their adventurers through the portals to the new lands and founding said new lands only for them to be destroyed in catastrophic events with contact to the original kingdoms cut off(death of jk and mr home server and birth of freedom)

I do wish someone would sit down some day and take everything that exists from fan lore to what others felt should be cannon and then take ingame events and create proper stories about it all the way up to the expedition into the new lands(northern freedom isles) and leave the story there for now for new players to write it would be amazing to see i think if a full fledged story was designed around that.

From the merger of jenn and kellon to the corruption taken place in the name of Libila after thiefs and vagebonds and rogues started to walk through portals seeking freedom to the arrival of mol-rehan and even before the exploits of the ageless and their library and the subsequent burning of it and the loss of knowledge and dark age that followed all the way up to notable battles of the newer kingdoms, seeing all of it explored and written out in short stories or something would be amazing.

Or as my dream is something like league of legend's world map and its rich lore behind that but one can only dream.

Either way there is so so so much lore already there so many stories so many events just waiting to be explored again that honestly there is a big overarching story line just isn't easily accessible for players nowadays with the old posts gone and all.

• Like 1

Maybe time for a repeat, or reworking, and extension of the GM treasure hunts that told some of the threads in history of these lands.

i can tell you the story of the missing pelts and animals from early xanadu, when i was able to sell a 20ql pelt for 1s but i also had to run around like 1 week to find one and then 4 more i could sell...

Just give me more meaningful and genuinely cooperative missions on PvE. They could involve mini-stories that play out over several missions.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:25 AM, Valdor said:

Maybe what we really need is for someone to take on the task of a historian and document all the player made history. It would be a big task, but like you said... Wurm has a player history that stretches' many years. I wish we documented it as we went along...

Efforts for a Musuem are already in the works on one of the servers. I've been considered doing one for the Cadence Server while it's still young enough that people can remember all the stories and deeds.

• Like 1