Sign in to follow this  
Goldfinch

Wurm Chess Club??

Hello fellow Wurmians,

Virusmd and I had an idea ....and we are looking for YOUR input! We are both chess enthusiasts of a sort, and (as some of you may remember) Virusmd's Pristine Friendalong was the very first impalong to feature  Chess! @Docterchesewill certainly remember :) Since the impalong, Virus and I have continued duking it out over a chessboard on a weekly basis. .. . which has been especially exciting of late, as I have finally honed my skills enough to challenge his level! And we had the thought that perhaps it would be an even better exercise to include other Wurmian chess players, to spread the fun around and challenge ourselves even more! SOOOOOOO - is there anyone out there who would be interested in a Wurm Chess Club?? (Anyone who at least knows the basics of chess could take part)

If you are interested - would you be willing to travel to Pristine for a chess meet? Monthly? Bi-monthly?

** yes we eagerly hope for the chess boards to be "fixed"  but for now we are making the best of it!**

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Silvirwolfe said:

I think I need more coffee.. I totally read this as Cheese Club. 😆

feel free to sign me up if anyone makes one of those too

• Like 2

This is absolutely amazing and what makes me love Wurm even more. And thank you for coming up with this idea. I'd be totally down for a Chess club, though I know only basics and not how to win (lol). I prefer Checkers more, but Chess is such an elegant game I can't pass this up. I've been listening to the Chess musical a lot again, recently, by the way.... which has to mean something!!

p.s.: Btw, what has to be "fixed" about the chess boards? Is there a bug?

Edited by Ayuna

When  I saw 'chess' in the forum topic, I was thinking the life-sized chess gameplay that an old-timer like me remembers on Wurm Online using levelled built tiles for a chessboard and statues dropped on them for a real game of chess with characters moving the chess pieces, not the coded chess that came along much much later with the individual chessboard items.

Anyone remember those?  There were only a few, and one remains still back on Golden Valley near the upper center of the map. NW of what was known back then (10 yrs ago) as NoName Lake, I checked a mapdump and it's still there.

There were totally player-built, using slate and stone slab tiles, with various types of statues representing the individual chess pieces on a lifesize scale.

• Like 2

@Ayunathere are some inconsistencies with the ingame boards vs real chess boards that affects the gameplay. namely, the king and queen are switched (on the wrong squares) in Wurm, and we also do not currently have the ability to castle or

en passant (look up these chess terms if you aren’t familiar). I hope they fix these things 

• Like 1

I am against to update the current ingame chess boards to the real chess boards.

However, if people want to play real chess boards in-game, its possible.

6 hours ago, Tristanc said:

There were totally player-built, using slate and stone slab tiles, with various types of statues representing the individual chess pieces on a lifesize scale.

If the slate and stone slab board is too big and the statues are too hard to move, we can always use something like shafts to build a chess board and use the small statuettes in jewellry smithing. Castle or en passant is not a problem in a sandbox game like wurm.