Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Solution to stop revamping tutorial every 2 years

Hi!

People don't pay attention to tutorials in any game that's a known fact.

So i think alot of people that only play a short while give as reason for quitting not understanding how to do stuff so then the devs keep going in this endless loop of trying to find the sweetspot tutorial that will keep these people informed but without boring them.

That cannot be done. Just give them a short basics like: you want to perform an action on a item you must have a tool selected. For any more questions ask in CAHELP. For advanced tutorial just watch this. And then you link the FF episodes from liek 10 years ago they will help them more than investing dev time in revamping the same thing over and over for people that have no desire to invest the time needed by Wurm.

So keep it short and sweet and let the player discover just like all wurmians had thru asking around and watching FF vids:)

Just literally link them this playlist as tutorial if they won't stick around then they were not ment to be wurmians.

• Like 1

I think it's good to have multiple options. Many people will go through a tutorial as long as it isn't too text heavy, I don't think the following is true at all:

54 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

People don't pay attention to tutorials in any game that's a known fact.

But other options are great too, there should be a tutorial and links to a video like the Factional Fight one. I'm sure many people would rather read an in-game tutorial than watch a video, especially if they don't have a second monitor.

I did the tutorial back when I started out in 2011 and found it ok, a bit text-heavy (which also sucks if English isn't your first language) but it at least demonstrated the basics. The current tutorial is much more text-heavy and I find it worse than the old one. I think the plans mentioned recently in the January dev roadmap sound like a big improvement:

• Like 1

Am just salty that every 2 years that already very limited dev time gets invested into revamping something taht most gamers out there dont pay attention to thats all.

tl;dr.. 

break things into action based(you do woodcutting, get tip/s about related actions or selection of related tips*)... and reuse or rework alert system ... the little system which teaches you at the start about hunger, drowning, stealing, and such... have ON / OFF and easy access to it to re-enable it when you feel like learning stuff;

* how to skill up, where to hold such, what are + and - from this and that like bsb/crate storage, decay, sorting and storing broad ql variety

with time add new things to it for new mechanics.. or add with time advanced player tips... you have 20 bsbs around.. make the 4x combinations... bonus .. less space etc.. but downside you cant load such in a boat(maybe), etc..

same thing could be released as player generated content... use forums or different system to review suggested/submitted/ templates for tips, you'll lose time reviewing/editing these.. but wont have to spend time generating the content

maybe reward participating parties, but limit rewards per person to not be farmable; keep quality not quantity for content, easy to do with tracking who got what, with spreadsheet or w/e.. solution;

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Finnn said:

tl;dr.. 

break things into action based(you do woodcutting, get tip/s about related actions or selection of related tips*)... and reuse or rework alert system ... the little system which teaches you at the start about hunger, drowning, stealing, and such... have ON / OFF and easy access to it to re-enable it when you feel like learning stuff;

* how to skill up, where to hold such, what are + and - from this and that like bsb/crate storage, decay, sorting and storing broad ql variety

with time add new things to it for new mechanics.. or add with time advanced player tips... you have 20 bsbs around.. make the 4x combinations... bonus .. less space etc.. but downside you cant load such in a boat(maybe), etc..

same thing could be released as player generated content... use forums or different system to review suggested/submitted/ templates for tips, you'll lose time reviewing/editing these.. but wont have to spend time generating the content

maybe reward participating parties, but limit rewards per person to not be farmable; keep quality not quantity for content, easy to do with tracking who got what, with spreadsheet or w/e.. solution;

I really like the idea of a "tips" system and think that meshes well with the plans that the devs have announced. Reminds me of how games like Minecraft do it. Minecraft is much, much simpler than Wurm, so it isn't directly comparable, but you get little tips in the top right of the screen to hint about basic controls and things. Having contextual tips spaced out in the first few hours/days of playtime would be a much more pleasant thing than the current crazy info dump that the tutorial is.

enabling a paperclip for when you feel like listening to it... seems better as you are in mood to have it around... compared to jumping through adventure of chained learning session you just skip and try to waste less time with it..

allow some sort of learning tips search.. so somebody could later return to it and search for specific things... maybe keep track of what people search... you'll later be able to focus on generating such content, somewhere along the way.. you'll need a filter for bad words.. mhm... people are adorable and should be considered