Sign in to follow this  
Gwiz

Question about Dropped Items permissions

This question is based in personal observation, so it could be way off base: Do different servers have different restrictions/permissions for dropped items?

The reason I ask is this: When I am on Exodus and not on a deed I can pick up any items dropped by another player. I like to keep the areas around my deed clean and am always picking up/burying leftover butchered items and other things left around.  I also just drop items to trade between my alts without having to use the trade window. I recently traveled to Xanadu and even though I was on a tile that said "You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seems to like it here." I wasn't able to pick up anything dropped by my alt.

Is this a server specific thing or do I have some messed up permissions somewhere?

Edited by Gwiz
clarity

Proximity permissions/ownership. Until you move 4 tiles away or log off, others can't pick up your things. Iirc he same applies to mining without pick up permission, you can give someone permission to mine within your settlement and what they produce - they can pick up unless they move away 4 tiles.

Edited by Locath

Thanks Locath.

I guess I never encountered it before because my first toon on usually boots itself when I open the second.  I had to lower my graphics settings to get both on at the same time to cross servers.

PS: Sometimes it's hard to find info in Wurmpdia when you really don't know what you are actually looking for.

Edited by Gwiz
added ps

A few things can override the proximity ownership, like being friends or forming a team.

On your home server you are probably in a village which may give you permission.