Sign in to follow this  
Omar

PVP servers

Chaos and even Defiance could be converted to PvE servers.

Affinities on Defiance are an issue.

Edited by Omar

21 minutes ago, Zykat said:

I think he was just meaning taking stuff back to the NFI Islands, not to the new pvp server, start it from scratch

with SFI they can already just sail stuff back and forth from chaos and other servers

I like this idea, maybe allow us a one time transfer of affinities back to pve as well 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ViperSnake said:

I am COMPLETELY against this. If I wanted a wipe I would play a different game. This goes against one of the fundamental selling points of Wurm, that being persistent maps being decades old and having a rich history. There is just not enough time in my self's and other lives to have yearly or biyearly wipes.  Perhaps a making a long term plan to merge the pvp clusters would be a better idea. Of course that is a whole other topic on its own.

there are too many servers that are spread out, if you want that you might as well play wurm unlimited

Just now, Carmichael said:

there are too many servers that are spread out, if you want that you might as well play wurm unlimited

Been there, done that. Hence why I play Online now. I would want skill and item keep to convince me to do this.

5 minutes ago, ViperSnake said:

Been there, done that. Hence why I play Online now. I would want skill and item keep to convince me to do this.

the whole purpose of this is to consolidate the pvp servers so people that want to pvp don't make the mistake of going to a dead server and then the game loses players because they show up and like 5 active players are spread out on different servers

25 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

hell yeah do et

What do you think about skill differences between the PvPers on Chaos and Defiance? 

Just now, Omar said:

What do you think about skill differences between the PvPers on Chaos and Defiance? 

you have outliers on both but the average on defiance is on par with chaos

• Like 3

From a revenue standpoint, I could see a ton of money being poured back into the game.  Old groups coming back, PMKs being made, and other store purchases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Omar said:

even decade old accs usually sit around 50-60 strength as thats when general building/terraforming drops off a cliff, if you actively grinded when caffeine was a thing you're probably stronger than the average chaos accs. there's a few 80+ str accs on chaos but there's also a bunch on nfi too

• Like 5

1+

Just no PMKs, the community already ruined the the lore of these mechanics.

• Like 1

+1, as it stands there are three disjointed ways to PvP in Wurm. One server accessible from any other would be so much better. The PvP community is at its largest, best and most fun when everyone is together.

I'd also support semi-regular resets, maybe once every ~2 years or so to keep the map fresh. It's better to start out with that policy (and make it known that eventual resets are likely) than try to apply it later.

Repurposing the Epic cluster:

I don't see the reasoning for wiping Defiance but I agree that Epic needs to close and it needs to close NOW. Tbh I think you'd be better off turning the 3 home servers into full PvE so that people don't lose their work there. Consider doing one final Epic skill transfer (from Epic to SFI) and then removing the separate skill progression there. I'd really like the idea of having one of the Epic home servers for my PvE base and being able to portal there from Defiance, especially if Affliction retains the special distinction of being naturally covered in Mycelium. I think the population would pick up on each if everyone is reassured that they are and will remain PvE only, with the new starter experience being better if they were able to see Freedom chats from there.

Alternatively, you could keep the 3 home servers as the PvP kingdoms but still have the server be PvE, with physical travel on and off the server blocked but portalling allowed from any other cluster. That would leave them available for Defiance players to portal to and from for training/relaxing, whilst also allowing people from Freedom to visit for a slightly different experience.

Closing Elevation and Chaos:

I think Elevation and Chaos should be cut and the servers actually shut down. Release both as WU maps if people are interested. Chaos has always had a fairly steady baseline pop but I feel like its continued existence has always dragged down the potential of newer PvP servers. Allowing full skill transfer from Chaos to Defiance would imo eliminate the main issue with the server being closed. Elevation 3 was something of a failure to launch and I don't think anyone will really miss it when its gone.

Chaos is by far the oldest server in the game and is so covered in ruins as to be a vastly different experience from a fresh PvP map. I tend to feel like PvP maps covered in ruins get stale and remove part of the fun of selecting and building up a new site. I think this was implicit in recent calls to reset chunks/remove ruins in certain places on Defiance. If an erosion system is ever added, trying it on PvP servers for areas that are not deeded and haven't been deeded for a period of time would be interesting.

A possible future PvP server:

I don't think we actually need to go down to 1 PvP server, but the offering should be radically different for each and you should be able to quickly portal between the two. Assuming Defiance will remain unchanged, I think the obvious complementary step would be to release a 1000x1000 map (or at least no larger than 2000x2000) map to serve as more of a PvP arena, physically connected to NFI and/or SFI, based around open-field PvP and objectives in the field, providing both functional and cosmetic items that are new to the Wurm economy.

Its clear that a proportion of PvP players like the idea of regular map resets and I feel like it'd be better to set aside a specific map to work on this model, potentially with PvP breaks in between, so that people don't invest large amounts of time building up a deed that will just get wiped in a year. It'd also be a welcome opportunity to experiment with other PvP models like not having defined kingdoms and instead putting people in relatively generic "teams" which can use all 4 priests, don't have access to artifacts and don't have the great altars.

New player experience on PvP:

There should imo be more of an incentive for people who mostly play PvE to try their luck on a small PvP server without a strong commitment. It's hard for PvE players to get known in the PvP community and get settled on a PvP server, and offering ways to actually experience combat in a more "instant action" mode may help. It's a shame to see PvE players hopping over, not being allowed to join the existing alliances and quitting, or arriving and making a PvE deed that eventually gets raided and quitting. Any solution should try to take into account the needs of new players who absolutely should have the chance to PvP but also shouldn't be funneled there as soon as they create their account and get a wildly unrepresentative experience of what Wurm is like.

Edited by Ols
  • Like 1

Yeah it seems silly that we have 3 different pvp communities. Consolidation is something that has needed to happen for a long time. Will be good for the game in the long and short term. 

• Like 2

Remove defiance and epic

Add defiance settings to chaos then transfer from NFI to SFI

Chaos is best map they even made

32 minutes ago, FallenKnight said:

Remove defiance and epic

Add defiance settings to chaos then transfer from NFI to SFI

Chaos is best map they even made

Chaos is long past its sell by date and has a much lower pop than Defiance. Chaos is never going to recover to significant numbers because its a few extremely strong deeds and a sea of ruins and messed up land. If its such a great map then it should be wiped back to how it looked on launch and the Defiance ruleset imposed, as you said. Being able to physically transfer items from Chaos to SFI was also a terrible mistake and has ruined the dynamic of the server, allowing people to craft in completely safety and take their loot out of reach of their enemies. Its not a problem that can be fixed without wiping the map, which is why we got Defiance and why people enjoy it on Defiance more.

Edited by Ols
  • Like 3

Kinda sad to see so many people wanting to close Epic instead of fixing it.

As for opening up new pvp servers, how many times has this been going on? Elevation got what, 3-4 resets by now? That didn't solve anything. Defiance then sprung into reality further fragmenting the pvp population.

Epic has nice servers, they just need to be fixed so pvp happens faster and easier. The 2x timers are actually awesome for quickly crafting gear. Spamming horses on elevation in less than a day is also really nice. Valrei probably needs a tutorial for people to understand how it works but kinda sad to see people wanting to kill a server cluster just because we don't have 2 way skill transfer.

Guess it's easier to throw something away than to fix it.

I do agree that we have too many servers though. Maybe just consolidate epic into 1 map instead of 4?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, elentari said:

continued epic updates is peak sunk cost fallacy

• Like 7

Maybe start with simple god tier fixes like just removing the rare horses

• Like 2

- 1 … mostly.

I’m all for getting rid of Epic, but please leave Chaos and Defiance as is.

kthxbye

• Like 1

Yes you never been on chaos i guess you don't know that this server have real history and leave it alone it will stay pvp

2 hours ago, elentari said:

As for opening up new pvp servers, how many times has this been going on? Elevation got what, 3-4 resets by now? That didn't solve anything. Defiance then sprung into reality further fragmenting the pvp population.

Epic has nice servers, they just need to be fixed so pvp happens faster and easier. The 2x timers are actually awesome for quickly crafting gear. Spamming horses on elevation in less than a day is also really nice. Valrei probably needs a tutorial for people to understand how it works but kinda sad to see people wanting to kill a server cluster just because we don't have 2 way skill transfer.

Guess it's easier to throw something away than to fix it.

I do agree that we have too many servers though. Maybe just consolidate epic into 1 map instead of 4?

I don't see the point of "fixing" it. The fundamental problem of Epic is that it exists. Defiance has a lot of the QoL rules Elevation has, but has refined them into a more enjoyable experience. Defiance also has the Valrei experience. Epic has provided people with a lot of fun over the years but now its time to say goodbye to it. 

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

continued epic updates is peak sunk cost fallacy

Totally agree. If the issue is people not wanting to lose their legacy, leave the home servers around as a small PvE cluster and let people portal to and from it from all the other clusters, using the same Freedom skillset. I'd rather have my little PvE skilling base there than NFI. After that, no further cluster specific work is required.

1 hour ago, Joemog said:

Maybe start with simple god tier fixes like just removing the rare horses

Someone will simply patch in another balance breaking horse change a couple of years later and the cycle will repeat, lol.

Edited by Ols
  • Like 1