Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Development Update - 2023-01

You could do a lot with the existing assets, it's all in the lighting.

For a demonstration, look no further than Valheim, which has comically muddy textures and hilariously low poly models. The vast majority of its look comes from its lighting.

That kind of thing is definitely achievable by a single person. It's the area with the highest potential visual impact.

35 minutes ago, Timoca said:

Yes, but Minecraft has a beter art style, and that does matter.

Not just that, but texture packs allow for it to be customized to your prefered artstyle which is a major bonus. Something we don't really have in Wurm sadly or thankfully.

22 minutes ago, Batolemaeus said:

You could do a lot with the existing assets, it's all in the lighting.

The issue there is that really, done by a single person it can be a lot of ground to cover. You can look at a lot of remasters of triple A titles where the lighting is made worse, and creates a significantly worsened visual look. You're right that lighting can have major beneficial impacts to overall graphical fidelity, but done badly or incorrectly can majorly detract from the visuals. 

For me, I'd rather see some models be remade from scratch so different areas show their age less. LMCs are a major eyesore, as a good example, and the model for the temple is still just flat out missing.

As for the roadmap, can we expect to see an update on nonwhite skin tones, or anything on the better character customisation we've been told has been coming for just over a year?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wilczan said:

First were plans for VR in Wurm.

Then, skill for making maps, in game, where people used to play without maps, learning their surroundings.

Now another tuturial revamp. Couse people love using tutorials.

Who make those decisions?

I often wonder this. Direction always seems fragmented and changes without reasons given. However, I do absolutely appreciate all forward progress the game does get.

Edited by MordosKull

"Directions" seem heavily narrated by player suggestions, implementations take a while, content often goes trough some morphing or adapting(merge of ideas or similar results are implemented but with different approach).

Players could go "darnok mode".. maybe not that far, but... get some wild imagination and spark ideas to be adopted as future content.

There's always the limitation.. how much could be invested into undeveloped flat 3 line suggestion like: "make scam citizen copy, multiverse world universe, vr ar mobile crypto kitties and dogecoin blockchain backed system"... 🤣

I keep falling back on wanting an option to have alliances be able to communicate with each other beyond their original server.  We've got people who come and go from regions that are still strongly attached to their alliance in question.  Communities that can't really communicate with each other once they move servers beyond either global or PMs with individual members.  I know for myself that the hardest part about leaving an area is knowing just how much more difficult it is to maintain communication without something like an alliance chat or something.  I'm just fond of finding ways to maintain communities even when they're spread between different servers.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 20:46, Zahnweh said:

I keep falling back on wanting an option to have alliances be able to communicate with each other beyond their original server.  We've got people who come and go from regions that are still strongly attached to their alliance in question.  Communities that can't really communicate with each other once they move servers beyond either global or PMs with individual members.  I know for myself that the hardest part about leaving an area is knowing just how much more difficult it is to maintain communication without something like an alliance chat or something.  I'm just fond of finding ways to maintain communities even when they're spread between different servers.

Did you have tryed to utelise the underling IRC system in Wurm? You can let the game start a sepereate chatroom and auto join a chat room. When we had at start of the Steam releas like 70 people in our Village I did somthing like this for the "offciers" to have a seperatet group chat in game.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:00 PM, Madnath said:

Not just that, but texture packs allow for it to be customized to your prefered artstyle which is a major bonus. Something we don't really have in Wurm sadly or thankfully.

The only "texture pack" I want is a 4k night sky with one of the moons replaced with the moon from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask...

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, Darklords said:

We have plenty more lined up which we will be going over in more detail next week with our roadmap post.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, Darklords said:

We will be reopening public testing for Holy Sites in the coming days with some better mechanics to keep them spawned in this time.

👀⏲️

Edited by Rocklobster