Sign in to follow this  
Ponzey

New Player Advice Please

Hello, I am a new player / returning player from 3 years ago and honestly dont remember much.  What server would you guys recommend me playing?  Which server has the highest population that is the most active?  I dont mind , either PVP or PVE, just want a server that is the most active with the most players that also might be helpful to new players as well since my old character was deleted.  Thanks so much guys, I appreciate any advice.

Ponzey

• Like 1

I would suggest either cadence or harmony for pve, or defiance for pvp, and join a deed to get back into it and find your feet. Welcome back!

• Like 1

Harmony has a great player community that's always willing to help newcomers out on Freedom channel.

It's the original Northern Freedom Isles PvE server before Melody and Cadence were added to that cluster.

Defiance, mentioned above, is the PvP server for the Northern Freedom Isles cluster.   I'd not recommend starting on a PvP server as a relatively new player unless Player vs Player is exactly what you're seeking.

UPDATE: Nevermind, as I see you did join Harmony already.  My character there is 'Tantris' if you happen to see me on in CA Help or Freedom chat channel.

Edited by Tristanc

@ Tristanc I havent joined anything yet, still waiting right at the portal.  However I appreciate the advice from both you and Zerobyte.  Looks like I will be joining either Harmony or Cadence, and since you have a character on Harmony, I might just join that one.  Thanks for your help gentlemen, I really appreciate it.  

Just out of curiosity, I heard the EPIC servers were dead, but what happened to the original Southern Islands?  The ones that have been around since the beginning of the game?  nobody plays on those anymore?  Just curious

• Like 2

The old servers (Southern Freedom Isles) are still available and they do still have folks playing on them, however most of the activity is on the newer servers. The older servers have had years and years of deeds come and go, and so there is relatively little "wild" land. If you enjoy exploring ruins or deeding an area that was previously developed, they are still a good option, and many of the players that remain there are old-timers that have been around forever. 

The economy is a bit different on the old servers as well - goods are plentiful and prices are cheap. Great if you're looking to buy goods, not so much if you want to sell. The newer cluster has higher prices and more gold to be made, if you are looking to become a high-end crafter. 

Awesome, thanks @MOXIE.  Looks like Im either gonna be at Cadence or Harmony.  Do you play on either?  Any difference between the two?  Can I travel and trade between the two?  Thanks again for all your help.

I play on Harmony and love it there. Super nice folks and plenty of space to find a place to settle. You'll have to go out a ways from the main cities/spawn points, but there are still lots of possibilities out there. 

You can definitely travel between Cadence and Harmony via boat, and trade between the two can happen via boat or the mail system for mailable items. The biggest difference is the terrain on each. Harmony has more mountains and ridges, high points and low points. It's fun for exploration. Cadence is flatter and has tons of watery/lakey type areas. I've linked the maps of the two servers below so you can see which one looks more appealing to you, and maybe even scope out a few places to potentially settle. :)

Harmony Map: https://harmony.yaga.host/

Cadence Map: https://cadence.yaga.host/

Edited by Moxie

North Freedom Isles is great (havent played just heard stories). However, I play on Release on the older southern islands and am part of the alliance for Harvestmoon Lagoon. We are a small server that is kind of quiet but we are very active in alliance. We love to help out new people and set you up for a great time. Wurm can be a very rough go but we do our best to help. 

If you want to hear more or join us you can PM me right now in game (ill be on for a few hours) or contact Ultradude in game. 

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help and explaining the differences to me.  Im leaning towards Harmony/Cadence because I like occasional PVP and the fact that I can travel from island to island and trade with everyone there.  Since everyone seems to be on Harmony, that will most likely be my destination.  Im at the portal now and will head over in a few minutes and possibly might see some of you there.  Thanks again for all your help, its appreciated :)

• Like 1

Heartland or Harmony Bay?  Which would be a better starting area for me?  Thanks!

I would say Harmony bay as its right next to the water. Water is very important starting out. 

I'm closer to Heartland, just where there's long series of bays and channels due east of it. 'Sanderling Priory' is my deed there (character Tantris).

Heartland has a large lake that's part of it if water for drinking or fishing or access to clay is what you need.  You can advance onwards after you start if building a boat and travelling the seas is what you want later.  I even think the Heartland lake has a tunnel canal to the sea now for boats to travel through.

Either Heartland or Harmony Bay is allright to start at. 

Moxie did great posting the map links in their last post so you can click on them and see what the regions look like, mapwise.

All the PvE Northern Freedom Isles (NFI) can be sailed between by boat.  That's, in order of creation: Harmony, Melody, and Cadence.  The PvP server for the NFI is Defiance, which is only reachable by a portal from one of the three PvE servers (you can travel both directions through the portals, but only back to where you came into it from). 

Note that your Defiance character would be more like a clone, you can't carry items/inventory or skill gains between the PvP and PvE.  You PvP stats will stay on the PvP server when you leave it that you can come back to, and your PvE stats/gear/items remain on the PvE side to switch back to when you go back through the portal to PvE.  So yeah, think of it as a PvE character and a PvP clone where each is kept on its own side of the Portal to return to.

Don't worry about PvP for now, it'll just be there for you to try out later once you're more experienced. 

Have fun in your new adventure!

Edited by Tristanc

4 hours ago, Moxie said:

The old servers (Southern Freedom Isles) are still available and they do still have folks playing on them, however most of the activity is on the newer servers

Not excatly true, playerbase is  pretty mutch splitted 50/50,

• Like 1