Sign in to follow this  
Gwiz

Religious advisor npc's on SFI

Could we please have NPC's to convert and make priests somewhere PvE on SFI? 

I like to play alone and am not much for socializing in game (I do enough in real life and just want to relax in game without typing messages all of the time).  Most days I never see anyone in local anyways, even when gallivanting all around Exodus.  I have an alt who is ready to be a priest, but no one ever responds on global chat when I ask for a Fo priest to help me. I tried sending my alt to Chaos but there seems no way to approach the Altar of the Three without getting your butt kicked. (Special thanks to the two Pandemonium guys who let my wimpy alt live and let me keep my rowboat!). 

I guess I don't understand why NFI can have religious advisor npc's, but SFI has to jump though silly hoops to get converted.

Edited by Gwiz
clarity
  • Like 9

4BNJ0wR.png

18 hours ago, Gwiz said:

I guess I don't understand why NFI can have religious advisor npc's, but SFI has to jump though silly hoops to get converted.

Because they don't have access to Chaos.

With best regards Captain Obvious

Edited by Dao
  • Like 1

Why should anyone be forced to go to PVP just to change their faith? F that. There should be an NPC at each starter town that allows you to change your faith. if you want to put it behind some paywall, either silver, marks or whatever, that's fine by me. If you charged for it, it'd incentivize players to interact with other players rather than pay the NPC, but at least you wouldn't be forced to go to godforsaken Chaos and risk life and limb just to become a follower or priest. This gets a +1 from me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dao said:

Because they don't have access to Chaos.

According to the Wurmpedia Priest page, there are White & Black altars on Defiance. So I'm still not sure why NFI has the NPC's and SFI doesn't.

Edited by Gwiz
Wurmpedia, not Wikipedia...lol

As for the "this is the place" on the map.  I tried getting there. There is a PMK that has blocked the water inlets so you can't get anywhere close enough to even try to make a run for it. And as far as I can figure, the Altars are the "flags" for the ongoing capture the flag game that exists on Chaos and are always heavily fortified and surrounded. That's really no place for a Freedom Kingdom person to be, especially a wimpy new alt.

54 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

There should be an NPC at each starter town that allows you to change your faith. if you want to put it behind some paywall, either silver, marks or whatever, that's fine by me. If you charged for it, it'd incentivize players to interact with other players rather than pay the NPC...

Agreed. I wouldn't even ###### about having to pay as long as it's a reasonable amount.

I guess my next step is to wander over to a more populated server, like Xanadu or something, and beg for a Fo priest to help me.  *sigh*

EDIT: The word for a dog's mother is censored???  Wow

Edited by Gwiz
additional comment
  • Like 1

I know it isn't easy for some ppl to find a priest or follower if they are on at certain times of the day.  Even harder to find certain religions like Mag or Lib (Fo or Vyn is sometimes easier).  Travel time is a huge barrier as both parties may have to sink 30 minutes or more in travel to meet up.  If an npc is too much to ask for, how about a certification a follower or priest can mail to the prospective person to use?  No travel time for either party, just a script of acceptance to mail. Plus the priest or follower can be mailed a request for the script if they aren't online at the same time as the interested party.  Win-win.

• Like 3

+1 QOL especially for new players, or remove them at NFI and add another chaos like server so the new players there can have that grand experience, duh

• Like 1

everytime i wanted my alts to be priested i found someone willing to help within a few minutes of asking/ this was on independence and if i am on one of my priest alts and see someone asking i will gladly help them out

Kordeth Bludscythe, Master Architect of the Shackport Alliance, Shackport E-13 Melody Server

Traipse, Lodge Owner of Fir Retreat, O-18 Independence Server

Pharrwalker, Caretaker of Fir Retreat Outpost, N-13 Release Server

21 hours ago, Gwiz said:

According to the Wurmpedia Priest page, there are White & Black altars on Defiance. So I'm still not sure why NFI has the NPC's and SFI doesn't.

Faith does not transfer between Defiance and northern freedom.
It is completely separated other than skill levels transferring.

+1. It shouldn't be so difficult to convert. Having a NPC at the starter town seems like a reasonable solution, especially since NFI has that as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arno said:

Faith does not transfer between Defiance and northern freedom.
It is completely separated other than skill levels transferring.

Ok. It makes a little more sense, I guess.

Just out of curiosity, how did they handle religion in Unlimited?

On 1/24/2023 at 5:49 PM, Gwiz said:

A character that becomes a priest on Defiance and portals back to NFI will not be a priest there. Faith, favour, alignment and the God you worship are not shared between Defiance and NFI. The relationship between Defiance and NFI is very different to Chaos and SFI.

I agree that every starter town on every Freedom server should have a religious advisor for this purpose. Alternatively, include the ability to become a priest at a holy site as part of the Holy Sites patch in February.

Edited by Ols
  • Like 1

I am not sure about. I would not be against a religious advisor, or better, a NPC priest of every creed who offers entering a faith the first time. And might let off some babble about religions when asked.

On the other hand, I recall my great adventure when I travelled for conversion as free to play, running from Vrocks Landing over (then) Mottistone Trade Post 2718, 3763 and (then) Carpentaria (somewhere between that place and Greymead in K15 or K16), where I slept in the inn, then next RL day along the whole Hellhound Trail to Greaymead and the fortress, and from there to Maes Knoll temple 4176, 2521 where sermons were held. After the conversion, Kindrashae picked me up at MK harbour (west side of New MK Tunnel now) with her sailboat, and took me back to (then) Sojourn harbour 3085, 2505, from where I walked back to Vrock Landing. After that I started to build my rowboat ;).

I would not want to miss that adventure, and am bit skeptical about dumbing down too much. Today, people can be summoned to places where priests are available, granted, harder for Libila conversion aspirants. I frequently summoned players to my deed, and gave them a horse, in one case a rowboat, for their way back. Also, conversion. or even priesting aspirants may look for unique slayings, and ask for a lift to them if they cannot do that themselves. The way of travelling to Chaos for an altar of the three or bone altar has been mentioned already though it might not be the most popular one. There are so many ways to skin a goblin ..

In summary, replacing all remaining player interaction and travelling incentives by automatisms. Therefore no wholehearted plus.

Edited by Ekcin

+1 I think it would be best to have one altar of light and one altar of darkness on each server but add harder mobs. 

I also like to play by myself and I hate playing in pvps. Also, while my deed is in central Xanadu. I rarely have people in my local. And I have like 3-4 neighbors! They either log in when I'm asleep (I'm in California and it seems most players are in Europe) or they only come by every month or so at random times.

Edited by Lagunasiren

I would do this:

• Make it so you can pray at any god aligned alter and choose to be a follower of that god.
  • At 30 faith you can pray at any god aligned alter to become a priest.

Keep the player conversion in place and maybe add a decent buff to encourage players to seek out others for converting. But also give players a choice for those who just want to convert at an alter.

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

I would do this:

• Make it so you can pray at any god aligned alter and choose to be a follower of that god.
  • At 30 faith you can pray at any god aligned alter to become a priest.

Keep the player conversion in place and maybe add a decent buff to encourage players to seek out others for converting. But also give players a choice for those who just want to convert at an alter.

go to spawn town, talk to npc, covert yourself to whatever follower if you werent or switch faith the same way.. but start from scratch faith(so there's incentive to find a player to get some head start with the convert and preaching skill etc..)

at 30.. get the option to be priest... maybe show this at the start.. just make it unavailable to activate until 30 faith

ez pz consistency between the clusters

NVM :) 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

I don't think this is healthy for the game. There are a lot of changes you could make to Wurm in the name of "quality of life" that essentially amount to watering down its unique appeal as a game. When I first started playing I remember learning that my friend had to go on a journey to find someone to convert him or make a dangerous pilgrimage to something called the "white light" in order to join a faith. As a new player I thought that was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard, and it's this and many of Wurm's other idiosyncrasies that hooked me and keep me playing today. Making NFI and SFI equal in this regard is a pointless appeal to symmetry that serves only to make the Wurm experience less about your interactions with other players.

5 hours ago, Adnurak said:

As a new player I thought that was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard, and it's this and many of Wurm's other idiosyncrasies that hooked me and keep me playing today.

I wouldn't see a problem with making the conversion spot DIFFICULT to get to with lots of mobs and obstacles somewhere on PVE. As it is now for a newish player, it's basically IMPOSSIBLE to get to the Altar of the Three on Chaos. Personally, at this point in my Wurm journey (about a year and a half) I really have no desire to do any PVP. I've worked too hard for what I have and don't want risk having my stuff taken.

Edited by Gwiz
redundant redundancy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Adnurak said:

Making NFI and SFI equal in this regard is a pointless appeal to symmetry that serves only to make the Wurm experience less about your interactions with other players.

What is wrong with wanting to play solo most of the time? I really don't play Wurm to be social, that is what social networks are for and I get enough of that in other parts of my life. I play Wurm to relax after work and on weekends and have to go AFK quite often to take care of real life stuff, like talking to my wife, taking out the garbage, feeding the cats, bathroom breaks, etc.....  I don't want to waste what time I actually do have to play Wurm by constantly typing messages.

• Like 1

Agree wholeheartedly.  The key here is having the choice...

If you want the experience of an epic quest to Chaos to become a priest then fine, feel free to try... it's currently  almost impossible to reach either black/white light on Chaos (I've tried... total waste of time and very stressful for an ardent PVE'er)

If you are sociable,  have the  time and are willing to spend potentially hours traveling depending on your location, go be converted by an  accommodating existing priest (can also be difficult, depending on location and available play times )

Alternatively allow conversion to Priest at starter town NPC's or potentially  at one of the upcoming  new Holy Sites. As a new(ish) player travel to your nearest starter town can often be enough of an adventure in itself (as I'm sure travel to a Holy Site would be too!)  but it is at least achievable and at a time/pace that suits you, unlike a journey to Chaos if you have no interest in PVP, or travel to/from another priests location at a specific pre-arranged time  which may not be ideal.

:)

• Like 4