Sign in to follow this  
Atom

Linux mint - The window behind the monitor

Hello
You have freshly installed linux mint with the Cinamon desktop environment. 
I downloaded the client. After downloading the necessary files, the client started as if it were behind the monitor. 
I can only see a white stripe about one pixel wide on the left side of the monitor. 
I can maximize and minimize the client but it keeps opening either behind the monitor or the window is one pixel wide. 
I tried stretching the client by clicking on this thin window, it did nothing.
Edited by Atom

Try this:

3 ways:

1 . Mouse over window and hit ALT+F8, then click mouse to resize window

2. https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5999/setting-the-window-dimensions-of-a-running-application  (a bit more command line issue)

3. Depending on Desktop Manager you're using: (What I had to do because the previous 2 did not work)

Hope any of these help.

It's not exactly a distro bug, but with OpenGL and/or X11 issue, iirc. Had the same behavior on Fedora and Arch Linux before. With Cinnamon, KDE, Budgie and others I can't remember, all same issue.

Mar. 2023:

Currently running Wurm with OpenBox. Oddly enough does not have an issue. Makes me wonder it is something that all these Desktop Environments have in common vs a vanilla Window Manager.

Edited by polarbear
mention window manager openbox
  • Like 2

Thank you @polarbear! Method #2 worked for me on Ubuntu MATE 22.04. Now I can play WO without booting into Windows. :D

Same here, thanks @polarbear, the alt+f8 worked pretty well for me. It took some time to understand how the hell this window resize option working, but I managed to extend it a little and click "install". After that, it worked very well and no issues later on.

Linux Mint 21.03 Cinnamon on Asus Tuf a15 laptop.