Tukodama

What QoL changes would you like to see in 2023?

On 1/2/2023 at 3:55 AM, Docterchese said:

Finally, it really irks me that servers become "tarnished" so quickly because land gets permanently modified. I would love it if Wurm servers could "rewild" themselves in empty, long-since-abandoned areas ready for new settlers. This would include changes that happen over the course of multiple real-life years, like:

- forests that regrow to have a range of trees (no more endless plantations of the same tree type just because someone made one 10 years ago in that spot)

- quicker steppe/desert/tundra regrowth to repair damage and repair damage from rifts

- slow erosion of heavily modified terrain not near deeds or highways. It makes no sense that huge player-made slopes last forever, that makes the land ugly and unnatural. It should erode over time.

- faster removal of paving in areas that aren't a road. Big square paved areas should erode faster unless it's on a deed or very often visited. (why not also add erosion steps to make it less serious, too? Like making paving erode into gravel first.)

This rewilding would never completely remove all signs of habitation, but would make areas feel natural again and would free up lots of land to be re-settled. We also have the archeology system now, too, meaning that all traces of past deeds will never be lost forever.

While i agree that these topics should happen I want to bring my twist to them and expand on them more

1. " forests that regrow to have a range of trees" Yes but only if nearby there are enough trees to warrant this, plenty of games out there with forest area's where every tree type is present in a big giant barf of "we used a brush to plant all possible trees and dont care about consistency" this is something that has always bugged me and why i love wurm's forests they do have a mix already but really dense area's be it natural or man made remain mostly 1 tree type like they should be but i do agree that tree spawning mechanics should be made a bit more adaptable to account for nearby trees instead of "oh this area is has every tile as maple lets keep spawning maple" it should instead look around it for other trees.
Sure currently the mechanic basically goes "can tree create another tree? if so check tile range, check empty tile, place tree" thus a dense maple stays a dense maple hence the issue so maybe some sort of high % cap on how dense a tree's forest will be naturally like say 80% of the trees in an area can be maple if natural spawned if above that dont spawn new maple until it drops below it this way other trees can swirl their way through forests and grow and expand

2. "quicker steppe/desert/tundra regrowth to repair damage and repair damage from rifts" expand this to rifts destroying bushes as well please as in particular my forest that i live at is being turned into a bush forest instead of a tree forest due to rifts not hitting them and replanting only helps so much

3. "slow erosion of heavily modified terrain not near deeds or highways. It makes no sense that huge player-made slopes last forever, that makes the land ugly and unnatural. It should erode over time." This was teased at one point in time and well it needed a LOT of work and i would like to extend those criteria to other things as well to include players being there in a long time reason being there quite some places that are sorts of ruined monuments around that would not be valid due to no deed or highway and would thus disappear forever and some of these places are from beloved wurmians that have passed away

4. " faster removal of paving in areas that aren't a road. Big square paved areas should erode faster unless it's on a deed or very often visited. (why not also add erosion steps to make it less serious, too? Like making paving erode into gravel first.)" Rolf messed around with the time it took for cobblestone road to decay back into grass and even at a time into gravel first(I guess we can now go from cobble to loose stone to gravel) but the issue is that the roads less traveled became maintenance heavy roadworks projects because a lot of cobblestone tiles would disappear from 2 wide roads into 1 wides because people would mostly hug 1 side of the road or the random marker roads known to locals would disappear.
Then there is the issue of places like Chaos and Indy that have a ancient history with many roads that rarely ever get used maybe once or twice a year yet when they are they are crucial
Then also new players exploring on foot might be wanting to find a road to run away from that troll and are following a road that randomly turns to grass just long enough for a troll to die(my first death) when they are 2-3 tiles away from the road again.
As much as i like this idea if this gets added it has to be a multi year timer before rows of paved tiles change as else too much is lost(then again this does happen already last i checked)
I rather this be a player things though to clean up old roads in favor of a more natural look(something i am planning on doing in my area once im done terraforming)

5. "We also have the archeology system now, too, meaning that all traces of past deeds will never be lost forever." you would be surprised how much of an impact it has when you spend the last hour walking along a narrow road dodging trolls and spiders and bears and wolves and everything else as god its scary and you have no clue where you are only to suddenly come across a flat bit of land(the ruins of a old town) that suddenly stops at a steep cliff looking down and you realize you walked halfway up a mountain and the view is amazing and now your in love with the game even more then you were before

As much as i love the aspect of terrain deformation back to more evenly sloped there is a WU mod that floated around that enabled this and even on mild settings where terrain would only try to even out slowly over time if players had altered it(comparing the map when it was brand new vs now) and would try to even out slopes above x height(in my testing i had it set to 80) the performance impact was quite substantial where as at one point on my server when we had this mod a big village had fallen and 4 months later there were days of lag spikes(Kinda forgotten we had the mod at the time) whenever the code would run to check what terrain needed to be changed and what to change it to and so on and sure it wasnt unplayable but the last thing we want on xanadu for example is more lag then it already has

The other issue is that over time in low pop servers everything would turn into rolling hills with the only things that are left sharp and high are 1 player deeds of active players 2 rock mountains with nothing ontop unless natural terrain does not move at all unless above the slope that dirt would be swapped out to rock in the generation of the map was set at(for example 80 steep) but then if i make a mountain top peak the entire mountain will end up covered in slowly sliding down dirt slide till it evens out to say 80 steep slopes of dirt with no rock to show for it

There are a lot of issues to think about when it comes to erosion and just straight up deleting terrain to lower steepness isnt a good fix nor is making it slide down if left unpaved

• Like 1

My Wife and I would like to see a few QoL things happen.

1. Looting of abandoned deeds/abandoned Items.  I know that this can cause controversy, but when a deed is long abandoned to the point that all buildings are decayed (Missing and or with holes), fences missing etc, then people should be allowed to scavenge all remaining items including secured item 60%+ damaged!

2. Ability to load animals into creature creates without needing to unload all of their equipment (shoes, saddles, bards etc).

3. This one may be harder as I know it can be a programming nightmare- 3D caves. To have the ability build tunnels above other tunnels, this would clean up planning of mines and Tunnels in and through mountains.

• Like 1

I got to jump in here and just give my 2 cents not trying to butt heads but QOL for new players hang it up. Unless you going to throw out a trophy and a great job flash on the screen for every little thing they do games like this are not for the new generations that where not born in a time where you worked for things an reward was what you accomplished.

That's why cash shops and instant win games where you can go from 0 to 100 in 30 days of 4 hr play are so popular among the new generations this is dads and moms game from the past. I don't care what you do you are not going to get todays spoiled generations with Iphone's to stay. Don't get me wrong some kids where raised the old way but most where spoiled and feel Entitled to every thing with out having to earn any thing so trying to bring in this generation you are beating that poor horse to bone.

I'd say focus on the generation that is here an you know is here. Or go make Wurm Online 2 with all the spoils they want.

Treasure maps should drop hunting arrows on pve and war arrows on pvp too:)

• Like 1

Crucibles for metallurgy. It’s time we stop mixing red hot metals with our barehands. 

could make use of pottery to create 1x use crucibles where max quality could also be hindered by not just skill…. But the quality of the material and the. Crucible. 

an actual mind speed attribute giving skill(s)

you know who you are that abused yoyo’s. Just taking something away only deepened the skills between new and old players. This is a game breaking point never touched on.  

Edited by Leilue

Adjustable chimneys. It would be nice if my library didn't look like it's on fire when the fireplace in my feasting hall two stories below is lit.

wurm.20230320.1936.jpg

Show me a rl medieval castle that does not have a proper chimney!

• Like 3

So happy to see so many great ideas from players!

Please allow the ability to load felled trees in a wagon rather than making us pick them up and place them in a wagon.

The ability for double mine doors (2 tiles wide) would be a great addition.  

Edited by Tukodama
added suggestion
  • Like 2

I think one common pet peeve, not sure if it was mentioned or not is to fix server crossings. Too many gms receive what, hundreds of tickets per year with lost boats? This really needs to be fixed.

While we're on the topic, I remember the first thing I made in wurm was a raft to explore the surrounding coastline. Lo and behold my surprise when the raft was nothing more than a container. It either needs to be renamed or removed since it gives the wrong impression for people looking to make a boat.

• Like 3

QOL I'd like to see is level and flatten feature for surface mining on tile boarders

• Like 2

A toggle-able choice between performing an action to always move dirt to pile or to inventory.

Allow creatures to pass through wall corners while being led.

I remember they used to get cut off by fences, but that was fixed. Hopefully it can be fixed for walls too! It's tedious leading animals around buildings and having to be extra careful around the corners. Sometimes when they stop following you don't notice right away, and have to backtrack to find them. Especially problematic if leading non-branded animals across a deed where the owner is not present, and losing the lead means losing the animal entirely.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vorticella said:

Allow creatures to pass through wall corners while being led.

I remember they used to get cut off by fences, but that was fixed. Hopefully it can be fixed for walls too! It's tedious leading animals around buildings and having to be extra careful around the corners. Sometimes when they stop following you don't notice right away, and have to backtrack to find them. Especially problematic if leading non-branded animals across a deed where the owner is not present, and losing the lead means losing the animal entirely.

I remember suggesting years ago that the message 'you stop leading xyz' could be shown in bright green on screen like the combat messages. At least that way you'll know as soon as it happens. 

Display a message in the middle of the screen when you target is immune to your weapon's damage type.

Just watched poor Grumbs and chat unable to figure out why he cannot hit a Deathcrawler mob. He could not because he had  a Venom weapon equipped at the time and they are immune to poison damage.

Is at 1h05m in this VOD:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1779815902

• Like 1

Reverting recent hay nerf, and giving hay bundles in saddle bags/sacks a slight speed bonus as usage incentive.

Hi 

I'm fairly new to WURM online, I was introduced to the game about a year ago. I have enjoyed playing it. These are some things I would like to see  in the future of WURM online. 

#1.   if you are a newly created character within 180 days of character creation have one opportunity to go back to the starting area where the current game tutorial is, so you can reselect your region, even if I had to reset all my stats to new character stats, this would be worth it in my opinion, I knew I liked the game from day 1, but was unfamiliar with the different regions and server connections. It took me about 6 months with my real life schedule to figure out that I did not want to be on Harmoney but wanted to be on Xanadu... 

#2.   starting zone NPC vendors,  NPC quests, and in game currency improvements.  I like the way WURM online is set-up and if the population was much greater the economy of the world might work better but as it is now, it is hard to figure out how to do basic things like getting a high quality meal. I would suggest having special food  sold at starting towns by NPC vendors that give you a 5  or 10 or 15 minute buff to your resource gathering  and or fighting skills with a simple cost of  25 iron,  50 iron,  or 100 iron  to buy from NPC vendors.   I would further suggest an NPC  Large Cart driver that you could pay a simple cost of 100 iron to take you to anywhere connected to the highway system and a separate NPC that you could pay 1 copper to take you to any other Island connected to your Region.   This would make adventuring the lands of WURM much more fun for a new player.  Additionally, I would suggest NPC quest givers in each starter town. Some quest suggestions for NPC quest givers: you could complete quests for from your journal and receive awards like 25 iron or 100 iron, basic equivalent of turning same item into deed token. A quest to turn items into deed token, A quest to learn travel routs of my previous suggestions for NPC transportation.  A quest to sacrifice items to your deity,  A quest to become a follower of a deity, a quest to improve an item with explanation in the quest that skill points come faster from improving than creating,  rewards for completing quests could range from a few iron to receiving a High QL material or item like a pelt or a piece of cloth...   Basic little things like this would have helped me a lot when I was starting out. 

#3.  Roaming guards that travel randomly throughout your kingdom to keep the roads safer to travel,  Using guard towers is great but when traveling sometimes they are few and far between, having 6 angry crocodiles, an Old Troll, and a hell hound all chase you down on your slow moving starter large cart can be very demotivating especially when you are sticking to staying on the highway system.   -Or-  something else that would detour so many monsters from ganging up on you on the Highway system   -Or- make my slow moving starter Large Cart faster on the Highway than the monsters chasing me so I can effectively run away.  

#4.   improve the refresh rate of combat actions.  I've seen noticeable delays in my character position as good or too far away for example and once I was killed 10 or so tiles from where my body ended up being found later. 

#5.   A viable magic system for non priests.  The current system requires karma gathering and a staff, both are relatively unattainable by new characters. I've been told that the current magic system is just for people who want to pay A LOT of Real World Money to enjoy...   Please make a normal magic system for non priest that could be leveled up in power to equivalent of a priest without the cost of additional real world money.   I would suggest added viable Meditation Path spells that non priest could use at the cost of an additional skill called Mana that you get from Mediation that works similar to Favor.  At low level I should be able to cast multiple ranged spells each Wurm day, enough that I could kill any normal Troll  or hellhound, or Scorpion, or Bear, or Spider without help from a guard at least once per WURM day.  And I should be able to regather my mana by meditating... scalable on my level of meditation.  At higher levels I should be able to take on Champion Trolls or the like by myself without help from a guard.. 

Edited by ShinWolfardd

There should be at least a minor restlessness decay when players are online, but idle for 5 minutes, or logged off outside beds. It would make sense immersively as well as it would encourage online presence. Recently, restlessness seems to be dropping only when sleeoping in bed. Btw., drunkenness should also go away when not online, recently, it does not decrease even when in bed.

Make Lib holy site spawn boulders of high ql ash that can be mined just like mag site drops 100ql meteorites.

Mailable sleep powders, the endless hours of traipsing round collecting powers gone forever :)

Perhaps a means of packaging such an item and create a droppable/mailable item...

A man can dream.

• Like 3

Storage containers alphabetized by default. 

Storage containers (all, crates, bsb, rafts, wagons etc) have group tabs like player inventory. 

a lid to seal large barrels, and a way to fill/ empty large containers without the need to carry them in inventory, wich makes them useless almost.

A way to make a tiny bit less useless than just organization for backpacks and satchels, like making them reduce weight of items in them by a slight quantity, like 10%

Edited by Rauros

On 1/1/2023 at 9:33 AM, user said:

Improved improve

• Like 2

I haven't been playing the game for a long time, around 3 months. 

Personally, I think the current systems in place for on boarding are enough because of the community and support staff. There is discovery, aside from that finding things through the wiki and then implementing them in game is very rewarding. 

Some things I think would be valuable additions to the game are:

• The ability to make a ceiling: 
    When placing a roof, there is a gap between the inner walls and the roof, it's not possible to create a floor on a level where there's already a roof and vice versa. It's also not possible to add extra wall segments to fill the remaining space between the top of the wall and the roof. 
  • A toggle option to show all items in the container/inventory:
    The grouping options in the inventory are great, carrying things in a container is also great. It would be handy to be able to visually put all items on the top level, regardless of their container and have them retain the group you assigned them to. 
    You could for example have a few jugs with ingredients inside them and have visual groupings in your inventory for the types of ingredients and then be able to see all items at once. 
  • Workspaces:
    Many actions require the user to have certain items in their inventory.
    The cartography table is an example of an existing workspace where this is not required, having the paper and ink be inside the table. 
    It would be handy if this principle could be expanded to things like cooking, blacksmithing, leatherworking,.... Basically every activity that revolves around creating and is mainly executed while being stationary. It would also promote players making craftsbuildings specific for a craft.  
  • A tunnelhelper:
    It could be handy to have an in game method without too much math to plan a tunnel. 
    One way could be to use a spell (perhaps "locate artifact") to enchant the dioptra so it allows you to link a range pole and get information on your position in relation to the range pole regardless of line of sight.
  • Permissions on zones within a deed:
    If you make a deed where multiple people are playing and building. It could be handy to be able to make zones so people can be assigned a plot of land to do with as they please but for example aren't able to dig in the area of another player for example.  
    This allows for sub-ownership within the bounds of a deed. 
    I've read about people being part of a village but unable to log in for a few months, finding that their area within the village gets plundered by their neighbors. 
  • Taxes:
    It could be an idea to allow for a mayor to enforce taxes on it's citizens based on a number of tiles that have been assigned to them. That way the area of the citizen can be protected for as long as the upkeep for their area holds. 

Thank you for reading :)

On 1/1/2023 at 9:28 AM, Red_ said:

I'm wishing for a fix for the FPS drops on my large deed, that is all. ❤️ (I made a bug report forum post about it, and it sounded like it will involve a java update, so I'll wait patiently, but I still want a fix :P)

P.s. I like the idea of removing merchant tax, that's partly why I don't like to use them.

+1 to your forum post!

Yeah i agreed with this, i attend to stay away from larger areas that has so much junks laying around and really can kill your fps, infact heating up my pc big time!