Tukodama

What QoL changes would you like to see in 2023?

Please allow the rotation of floorboards and other items.  When making a dock using floorboards it would be nice to match the direction of the planks with whatever direction the builder finds most appealing.

• Like 2

Warning when leveling mine ceilings that the next action will make the ceiling tile you are under unlevel.  It really is just a check to see that the two corners next to the tile you are on are not going to be adjusted and if they are to do a popup window with a y/n (default being n).

Character customization.  The world has changed a lot in the past 20 years, lets get wurm to appreciate that.

Docks.  A building built underwater, on level ground.  It is little more that the "2nd floor floor" of the building, and comes in standard heights of 15 dirt (with only additional docks being allowed to be built on top of it to raise the height).  Water depth needs to be at least 10 deep, and you use bridges to connect it to land across the sloping terrain.  Both wood and stone varieties available.  Very high decay off deed.  

More visibility for some things:

• Diseased creatures / players
  • Casts on mailboxes
  • Window sizing and column spacing on many things
  • Better imp symbols - my old man eyes have a hard time seeing the difference between scissors and needle - why not just change the angle of one so it goes upper left to lower right instead of both being lower left to upper right.  Easy changes,  Metal types put an A for Ada, I for iron, L for lead, etc on the middle of the lump.  
  • Being able to dye many more things, and to have it be stronger
    • Timber framed walls have 2 dye zones, the wood and the plater part
    • Wood part should have wood type dyes, but the plaster part should be strong colors, not the weak pastels that currently happen
    • Many other things need to be dyable - rugs, big beds, etc.

Rebalance the gods and their spells.  Show Lib some love!

Revised skills.  Some ideas are below:

• Remove Treb, just make all siege machines the same skill (War Machines), use it for a new skill (to be determined)
  • Fix hammers so it makes more sense with warhammers, ditto axes and hatchets.
  • Remove preaching, use this for a new skill.  Preaching (not prayer) is only used when doing sermons and most players stop doing sermons after 100 faith and 100 sermons for the journal, whichever comes later. 
  • Remove tracking, use this for a new skill 
  • Adjust archery; it is hard to learn how to do it, and I think should be revised to be more accessible to newer players.  The mechanics of picking a target and getting the bow to shoot it is just confusing.  The regular bow is also kinda worthless - but you can add in things like the Mongol horn bows or compound bows or crossbows and perhaps change that up.  Add in practice arrows (shaft + flint = stone tipped practice arrow with no imp ability, -33% damage and +25% skill gain). 
  • Toymaking - add in some more toys that have some social and/or decorating aspects.  Unfortunately many of these are very art intensive.
    • Additional puppets, not just the gods.  Just generic professions like Brewer, Carpenter, Blacksmith, Milkmaid, Witch, Alchemist, etc.  Great seasonal potential for monthly gifts with this as well.
    • More board games - Morris Boards, Go, Backgammon, etc.  
    • Playing cards would be nice - though the gambling associated with games like poker might be an issue.
    • Foosball tables or similar though not medieval in nature would be fun additions
    • Marbles, Dolls, balls, tops, mini figures etc. were common.  Not sure how to add them in or not, but balls can be made of leather or scrap wood, and thrown at players like snowballs?  Marbles made of clay.
    • dollmaking with 4-8 different dolls would be a good subskill with lots of growth potential
  • New skill - glassblowing.  
    • Make a subskill of pottery
    • Add in glass bottles - just reskinned pottery but also add in a special liquor and wine bottle
    • Add in a wine and liquor cabinets (fine carp, but new items - see how popular the new desk is!)
    • Add in stained glass windows - for now stick with the 4 gods but leaves lots of room for future options.  Would be super cool if they would fit in window openings and fill the opening.  Include a clear option.  Higher QL equals better colors or more clarity of the window (1ql no light penetration, 100ql is there even glass there?)
    • Add in mosaic tile floors.  Think how walls are made now - you have a base "empty" floor and then you add to it various glass / ceramic bits.  
    • Combined with various dyes to make different colors ceramic tiles: Red, Black, Green, Blue, Yellow, Brown, White, Cyan, Magenta, Pink, Orange.  Probably too many, but you get the idea. 
  • People will hate me for this, but balance boats
    • Knarr holds too much stuff (ya, this is why people will hate me).  
    • Cog, Corbitta, and Caravel don't hold enough
    • Be able to tow a rowboat (or load one, make it similar in size to a creature cage)
    • Add in a few new boats
      • Life Jacket - something that helps people swim for various projects like canal work.  Portable, slow to move around, but prevents drowning damage when worn (put in cape slot, or make an active tool, something).
      • Barge - slow, flat bottomed, holds a lot.  Think roman square rigged paddled warship for graphics.  Moves like a canoe but holds cargo like a cog
      • Dhow.  Something between sailboat and Corbitta.  I would make it wagon sized - 10-20 crates.  About 5 dirt deep and 10 high.  Faster than a sailboat.

Add in more unique monsters, animals and other things to interact with.  Unfortunately most are pretty graphic intensive so 

• Dwarfs are on the new stamps.  Would be cool to come across a dwarf camp that would trade for things like buying your sadstone shards and giving you gems, metals, etc.  
  • Gnomes we have old statues / containers.  Just a friendly Fey.  Neutral gnomes could have villages spawn (like the upcoming goblin camps) that you can go and interact with them, trade for some special sprouts that will grow special trees - like coral trees from Jackal.  However, adjustments to these trees would need to be made so that they don't ever make sprouts on their own on Freedom to keep it a special and limited resource.  
  • Griffins, Sphynx, Hydra, manticore, wyvern, basilisk, Centaur, Headless men - were all pretty common medieval monsters, and would be great for small group encounters.  Death treasure shouldn't be as rewarding as the existing unique - perhaps a treasure chest spawn or a 1 step map on the body, with a selection of things like existing treasure chests, but a few additional ones as well that are special to these critters.  Make them slow to agro so new players can run away easy enough even on foot.  Goal is to have something that should be challenging to 3-5 players of 90+ fight skill.  They shouldn't wander around much, and should die of old age in a couple of weeks to make the spawning reasonable.  It should be a viable gameplay to go out monster hunting to earn loot, but more so on places like Xan that have the space to also include as a time sink travel and finding the critters.
  • Undead critters like Ghouls could be a nice seasonal thing.  As much as I enjoy the existing event, adding more to it would be fun.

For new players, have the starter villages be actual villages.  This might be a good thing for GV, where there are houses assigned to players (instances would be good for this, I know, I know) and players can stay there until they get something like 3 skills up to 20.  The crafting would be limited but would be easy to get into - so someone could try out smithing without having to do mining to find metals and smelt them.  But QL would be capped.  No fighting other than archery targets and training dummies (but that should be enough!).  Someone wanting to do carpentry, for example, could exit their house, go to the carpentry building, and find free pegs, planks, etc. and have an NPC give them some basic quests & instructions.  Same would apply to most skills.  They build a cabinet or small crate or pet bowl, then get mission credit.  Ditto smithing, pottery, glassmaking, tailoring, etc.  Use the existing mission system, but cater it to new players and their goals.  Big goals would be to allow social interactions and to be able to explore different crafting styles.  Encourage players to build up initial skills.  When they leave, have it be a ceremony type event to "join the pioneers on the Freedom isles to tame the wilderness"  They cannot take anything with them and are given the starter tools after they leave the starter village and go to Freedom.  Have decay be super fast so that things don't stick around.  Do things that encourage players to work together, to form friendships.  People stick around mostly by having friends in game.  

Alliance based custom graphics.  Similar to PMK's but done in a way that is easily changeable without needing the devs to be involved, and that isn't persistent like PMK items.  If you are familiar with the game Stelaris, they have a symbol maker at the species creation opening of the game.  I am thinking something similar to that.  A couple geometric or wurm specific symbols, able to be done in layers.  Basically 1 background color.  1 shape (circle, shield, etc) with its own color (can be same as background).  3 layers of symbols (stars, boxes, moons, the gods, trees, axes, swords, boats, etc) so that people can do something say a Pink background, an Orange shield with a black stripe going rampant on it, and a purple pumpkin).  These can be shown on Alliance Tabards (like PMK tabards), a new Alliance Sign Post, and on  new Alliance Wagons that have a sign on the side and the background color is the same as the wagon cloth covering.  Leave the tall banners to the PMK's, ditto tents.  Pavilians would be good for the new art colors.  Have all alliances be democracies so the leaders can be changed, have the alliance leader buy (cheap like 1s) the alliance charter similar to the PMK charter, have alliances require 5+ different deeds to encourage cooperation but also allow individuals who just want to have their own pretty art have it.  The alliance charter holder is the person who can do the art, and forcing all alliances to be democracies (deed holders have votes) removes the drama of people going away.   If the alliance disbands then the items turn blank (ie wagons look like the wagoneer wagons, tabards are off white, etc.).   If a wagon owner changes alliance, the art on the wagon changes to the new alliance.  This might be nice to add a new ship (Dhow) that the sail has the alliance colors, or that the has a flag on it with the alliance symbol on it.  Lots of easy possibilities and if the mechanic for the art is part of the game then there should be little supervision from the devs needed to "approve" art.  

• Like 8

Spacy made a lot of suggestions, many good ones, some redundant (he seems not to care reading others' contributions), namely that about ceilings.

The suggestion to nerf the knarr is bad and stupid. Typical for someone from Cele without a heart for Xanadu. And it is ridiculous assuming to be hated for a lousy suggestion. But there is no positive effect in doing that, just causing grief for  lot of players, and turrning communication ways unusable depending on the scale of the nerf. If not destroying the knarr, this "balancing" would be useless (destroying means e.g. rendering knarr unable to carry a wagon and 4 creature cages).

It would be good to give the cog more load, similar to the corbita, which has higher capacity than a knarr. Other boat types, ok, though there were suggestion (sheffie iirc) i liked better.

• Like 3

A couple things come to mind:

1) Pathing improvement for led animals. I'm tired of making exaggerated turns to get thru doors or around the corner of a building in order to not lose my horse in a wall. If I can make it thru the door or around the corner, then the animal(s) I'm leading should be able to follow my path and make it as well. It never happens when dealing with fences and gates, or underground in tight twisty caves, only when dealing with buildings.

2) Animals and guards getting stuck on bridges and in caves.

3) The inconsistency of wood grain and color of different items (particularly furniture) made of the same wood type. If I'm furnishing a room with all walnut or cherry or whatever kind of wood, then the bed, wardrobe, tables, chairs, coffers, etc should at least have a similar color and tone, not look like some hodge-podge of different wood types.

4) It's been mentioned above, but it's really annoying that UI windows don't allow expansion/contraction of the various columns, particularly the volume one. We should be able to expand or contract each column so we can see the contents easily, and have those settings stay the next time we open that particular window.

I'm sure there's others I've forgotten, but this'll do for now :)

• Like 7

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but my number one improvement would definitely be a check all/unchecked all button in settlement role management. Should be so easy, and have been hoping for one for a long time.

The second thing would be some sort of mechanic that would regain your some of the materials from bashing walls or bridges or fences etc, out in the world but more so on your own deed. Destroying a building could leave some materials behind on the ground or even a salvaging skill you can increase to regain some of those materials.

Maybe an unpopular suggestion but maybe an auto travel option like that of the Wagoner on highways. People wouldn't HAVE to use it but the option would be amazing.

New Wall types and looks, rounded walls and bridges. I love building and creatively trying to use the limited options in different or new ways only goes so far. Every building starts to look the same. So new wall types of the existing materials and rounded wall and floor/ceilings would be super rad.

Also new hairstyles and character customization, I know that seems small but I think it would be a draw to new players. People just like to look unique and it's nearly impossible in this game.

The last thing is an overhaul to starter towns, I think that is desperately needed. New players spawn in a shanty town that's quite literally covered in garbage, Sonata on cadence for instance has a mine that is basically a death trap for new players. Ive tried to convince friends to play and between the tutorial and the starter town never saw the games potential and quit befor they even started.

I personally think a starter town should be amazing and show a new player what they could aspire to build. I also think players or alliances should be able to apply for the job of building them up even. It would bring really unique perspective to the area assuming applicants rotated or were picked based on past building designs etc. There are some amazing architects on wurm who could do the job.

That's pretty much it for my major hopes. 

:)

*Edited to say that I am five thousand percent on board for wagon skin options as well as tall banners again and other banner and flag skins. More and different decorations of that sort as well. How dearly I would love to have my kingdom wagons, towers and banners in nfi, I want to move that to the tippy top of my list. Please please please!*

Edited by Elarael
  • Like 5

Here's another i'd like to see : remove the deletion of affinity bonuses meals when we cross servers. Currently every time you have any affinity if you cross a server they get removed.

• Like 3

i wish they remove imbue on weapons on chaos , nerf sickle and removed stupid warbonus 

Skill training tool to advise players how effective their current task is  producing skill ticks.  

• This could be something that tells us our final action difficulty and modified skill. The roll Gaussian method has a difficulty and skill field. Give us a way to get these values.
  • Maybe 5 different words describing the action: easy, effortless, challenging, hard, impossible. The words should NOT be a simple 20 point division of range 0 to 100. A better option would be a normal curve with a mean of 20, a range of -100 to 100, skill ticks happens at >0 and <40. I'm not sure about standard deviation. That value in roll Gaussian tends to vary based on the difficulty and skill values it receives.

Shift drag from bsb. The shift+drag action that creates a "Moving items" window should pass whatever value we put in it into the bulk containers withdraw field. 

Expand more on moving items around between containers that are close to the character. For example, using shift+drag to drop a selected number of inventory items on say a forge (not inside an open container) doesn't work. Dragging from bulk into non-bulk with a function similar to moving items between bulk containers don't work. For example, you can't grab 100 ore from a crate and drop it inside a smelter in a single action. It's fine if it takes a certain duration to move that around. But it's not fine when we have to ping-pong our mouse around while holding shift+enter.

Add "Filter items..." tool to all containers.

• Like 2

Regarding boat balance. It doesn't need balance. Focus on giving players creative freedom. I would just make all boats work at a depth of 5 or deeper. 

Wurm whatever you do... DO NOT NERF KNARR!

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, Finnn said:

B is nonsense.... marketplaces literally exist because of the tax

Why's that? 10% cut on all sales that goes to.. where, kingdom pool? How does this help the local market deed?

My votes:

1) branded and bridle'd horse able to "ride" without leading first

2) discard archaeology fragments

3) fix the slight misalignment when sailing with the "auto align" feature; last I noticed, it was inclined to the right. Bit annoying in canals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

3) fix the slight misalignment when sailing with the "auto align" feature; last I noticed, it was inclined to the right. Bit annoying in canals.

That's the effect of the wind pushing on the boat. If you're sailing directly into or away from the wind, there is no deviation off of the straight line, but if the wind is hitting the boat at an angle, then it naturally pushes the boat in that direction. I'd rather have the realism of that feature than have the boat ignore the wind personally.

• Like 3

I would like to have cooldown icons for spells that have a cd like scorn, lof, heal, fungus etc. Ideally we could pick and choose which ones we would like to see by way of a tickbox and the coolwons could look similar to a skill tracker window thingy with: name of spell and then a bar, if the bar is green means is off cd and you have the favor to cast it if the bar is orange means is off cd but you dont have the favor and if it's red means is on cd. I would settle even for an icon or a text in spell effects. 

Or have it mid of screen text: X spell is on cd for 25s more (same msg as in event tab)

Would like to add:   Put the 'X' on treasure maps directly over the treasure itself.  With the exceedingly specific tolerances on difficult maps, I would expect the treasure to be under where the two lines of the 'X' cross and not down there on the lower right part of the 'X' where it was just found.  On a clear map like this it's frustrating, and it's beyond frustrating when dealing with something buried in a desert with no useful reference points other than topo lines.

yBIjhUd.png

• Like 3

A bit late on this topic but my big peeve is how slow travel is> You have an hour to play and can spend the entire time on a boat or cart trying to  get somewhere.. Makes me dread logging on the next time knowing I have the return trip to look forward to.

Also on the subject, how about we allow players to embark as passenger on a horse? We can do that with unicorns , I dont see why why we can't do it with a regular horse.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 3:37 AM, Subie said:

A bit late on this topic but my big peeve is how slow travel is> You have an hour to play and can spend the entire time on a boat or cart trying to  get somewhere.. Makes me dread logging on the next time knowing I have the return trip to look forward to.

Travel being slow is a really important part of the game and makes the world feel large. It would spoil the game for a lot of people if it was faster, in my view. There are already wagoneers, teleports and the ability to chart course, all of which have done a bit to spoil the feeling of Wurm being a large expanse of islands that you can explore for days on end.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, elentari said:

Also on the subject, how about we allow players to embark as passenger on a horse? We can do that with unicorns , I dont see why why we can't do it with a regular horse.

Because that would render unicorns obsolete. Maybe the issue is that unicorns are too difficult to obtain and breed?

Edited by Ols
  • Like 3

logout ptsd removed from the game entirely

who needs 10 hours to log out from a game

actually asking.. who thinks that is needed

On 1/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, Ols said:

Because that would render unicorns obsolete. Maybe the issue is that unicorns are too difficult to obtain and breed?

Unicorns are already obsolete and no one uses them lol. No one wants to risk a tamed creature dying to a random spider or troll. Look on the forums for the countless threads of people complaining about unicorns. 

• Like 1

would be nice when improving items if the tool that was needed was on your tool belt your didnt need to click it I key bind a key to improve and a key to repair so it would make life better if that could be work in some how

Being able to cast bless on a bsb and having it sort by QL and not merge QL's

Edited by bobhope
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tukodama said:

What about allowing 1 free customization per year for each character, without using a mirror?  This would go along with better character customization options.

new skill: barber/facial reconstructive surgery

Make eating same as drinking. I often fill up my toons before going to bed then next day i have to wait for their food bar to go down so i can start eating affinity food for the activities i have planned for the day.

So please make it so you can always take a bite even if youre full and have the food lose similar weight to how khavesi works. So 0.20kg i think?

49 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Make eating same as drinking. I often fill up my toons before going to bed then next day i have to wait for their food bar to go down so i can start eating affinity food for the activities i have planned for the day.

So please make it so you can always take a bite even if youre full and have the food lose similar weight to how khavesi works. So 0.20kg i think?

+1

Affinity system needs an update.. both drinks and food should be possible to be:

- gained

- removed

- reset timers(having 1-15min left or an hour but you have food with 5h buff.. just get somehow a reset at full 5h instead of fraction by continuous eating/drinking; it's a nobrainer and makes a lot more sense than WAITING... for it to expire to rebuff again)

- continue timers(important probably for just new players(lower skill on hfc/beverages) achieving low timers but bidding on raising them trough continuous eating)

System should be simple.. not forcing gameplay into hoarding bulk of something to consume to puke and remove buffs, then rebuff, etc..

(keybinds if possible will be great, where it makes sense and action is to be used often)

FIX Measuring jugs... let players right click and select exact amount which they could type-in.. to set it, it's needed for a lot of recipes, recipes are strict, let players have this... maybe limit it to 50 or 70 cooking skill to see and use the option, as to .. having Chef title mean something..

While drinks are affected by amount/ql/type and ingredients rule affinity, we can split liquids easily with no penalty; THAT'S NOT THE CASE for food... food requires the player to hold the food to cut a portion, let players cut portions in containers like magic chests/larders/etc.. 

- in addition let player nibble or w/e.. just eat bare minimum amount of food to buff with food and not continuously eat(for years we select several foods.. click eat and MANIACALLY SPAM PRESSING ESCAPE, we need and do use this daily;

• Like 1

Make peat's dig difficulty change from 0 to 50 so is sort of the dig equivalent of sandstone.

I would love to hold down a button (eg. alt) to see the labels pop up over everything (or most things) that can be hovered with the mouse all at once. So, instead of getting carpal tunnel from constantly wiggling the mouse around to read names on everything, just holding down the alt button periodically and be able to visually scan over all the items within mouse hover range. This probably doesn't need to include walls, fences, or tile names, but items, guard towers, and creatures would be great. Or maybe there can be a checklist to customize which items show up with the shortcut. I wouldn't want it as a toggle on/off thing, just to have it activate while the button is pressed. I played a couple of different games that have this feature recently, and it's so much easier on the wrist.

If this is already a feature in Wurm and I just haven't seen it, someone please let me know! I couldn't find anything but might have just missed it.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

Combine. It's such a pain. Should be able to right-click the top of a stack of items that are combinable and have the option "Combine All" without having to open the stack, click the 2nd+ one in the list then click the top of the stack to combine, or even worse click the top one in the stack then scroll down and select all of the items before getting the Combine option. Ideally it'd apply to piles on the ground and it'd combine them into the biggest combinations we can carry, but if that's not possible, then at the very least let us combine them with a single click when they're in our inventory.

• Like 2