Tukodama

What QoL changes would you like to see in 2023?

Happy New Year everyone!

It has already been announced that 2023 will be a year focused on QoL changes and improvements.  I have a few pet peeves that I would like to see fixed or changed during 2023.  

They would include:

A:) Please fix horses disappearing when riding over mine entrances.

B:) Remove the tax from merchants to allow marketplaces to fully thrive.

C:) Please allow the ability to load mailboxes from abandoned deeds, maybe only in a runed wagon.  Would this be game breaking in any way? 

D:) A little sharper color contrast for wooden items and furniture that are not arch colors.

E:) Please allow us to expand columns in bsb's, bcu's, crates, etc...  especially the volume column, which is always cut off at the last 5 digits, (ie xx444.44)

I am sure I am not the only one that has some thoughts about the upcoming QoL changes.  So let's hear some of what you would like to see changed or fixed for 2023! 

Thank you  :)

• Like 5

I'm wishing for a fix for the FPS drops on my large deed, that is all. ❤️ (I made a bug report forum post about it, and it sounded like it will involve a java update, so I'll wait patiently, but I still want a fix :P)

P.s. I like the idea of removing merchant tax, that's partly why I don't like to use them.

+1 to your forum post!

• Like 5

I think everything I'd like to see revolves around improving the onboarding experience for new players. It is astonishing that Wurm has stuck around for almost 20 years, and this really speaks volumes of how good the game is at filling a very specific MMO niche.

However, we cannot take Wurm's continued survival for granted. The game will not survive for another 20 years without new players, and there is so much lacking that could help them to stick around.

Firstly, I want Wurm to have a good tutorial. Wurm has never really had a good tutorial and that has always held it back. In my opinion, this should be the number one priority. The Devs should really look hard into proper design of interactive tutorials and add new UI tools to support this, making an engaging, informative and less text-heavy tutorial.

Secondly, an overhaul of the new player experience. I think things like the journal system are a great start, but it should be refined with a nicer UI and placed front and centre in the experience of a new account. Gamers are different to when Wurm was released 20 years ago and expect to have a more refined and quest-like experience when starting a new game. I'd love to see something in-game to help new players find empty land to settle, too, as a lot of people quit pretty quickly because they spawn into a crowded area and get stuck.

Thirdly, +1 to optimisations. Wurm should run a lot better than it does and this undoubtedly scares a lot of people away (plus it would be a big QoL change that benefits all current players too.)

Fourthly, the audio in Wurm is... underwhelming, with a lot of it not matching animations added in the 1.0 update 10 (!!!) years ago. It would make the game feel much more polished and immersive if it had better audio effects across the board.

Fifthly (is that a word?) I think most people make their own deed now instead of joining an existing village, and the game should change to reflect that. I'd love it if there were ways to advertise alliances and encourage new players to join them much more strongly when they found a deed, as being in a good alliance can be a monumental help to new mayors.

Sixthly (not a word lol), improve the UI! A lot of things are quite cluttered (like the toolbar of 10+ buttons and the many many different windows.) The UI should be streamlined and it should he much easier to find and discover all of the relevant windows.

Finally, it really irks me that servers become "tarnished" so quickly because land gets permanently modified. I would love it if Wurm servers could "rewild" themselves in empty, long-since-abandoned areas ready for new settlers. This would include changes that happen over the course of multiple real-life years, like:

- forests that regrow to have a range of trees (no more endless plantations of the same tree type just because someone made one 10 years ago in that spot)

- quicker steppe/desert/tundra regrowth to repair damage and repair damage from rifts

- slow erosion of heavily modified terrain not near deeds or highways. It makes no sense that huge player-made slopes last forever, that makes the land ugly and unnatural. It should erode over time.

- faster removal of paving in areas that aren't a road. Big square paved areas should erode faster unless it's on a deed or very often visited. (why not also add erosion steps to make it less serious, too? Like making paving erode into gravel first.)

This rewilding would never completely remove all signs of habitation, but would make areas feel natural again and would free up lots of land to be re-settled. We also have the archeology system now, too, meaning that all traces of past deeds will never be lost forever.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 12

1. Closer access to Ships/Wagons/Carts. I get tired of being able to open up a wagon, but when I go to drag something out of it I get told I'm not close enough. Increase the area around vehicles for easier access.

2. Load/Unload Mailboxes + Altars. There is no real reason on PvE we cannot do this. Make it so that they have to be dispelled first if you like, and then recast/blessed to be used again.

3. The option to choose the direction gates open.

4. The ability to see the slope of ceilings tiles and borders in mines!

5. A repair all button, to repair everything we have equipped/in inventory

6. Let us toggle the winter snow graphics.

7. Let us choose which enchant/rune to dispel from an item.

• Like 14

More real QoL changes. Happy.

More memes on the fake one. Happy.

Happy anyway.

Edited by Coach

7 hours ago, Tukodama said:

Happy New Year everyone!

It has already been announced that 2023 will be a year focused on QoL changes and improvements.  I have a few pet peeves that I would like to see fixed or changed during 2023.  

They would include:

A:) Please fix horses disappearing when riding over mine entrances.

B:) Remove the tax from merchants to allow marketplaces to fully thrive.

C:) Please allow the ability to load mailboxes from abandoned deeds, maybe only in a runed wagon.  Would this be game breaking in any way? 

D:) A little sharper color contrast for wooden items and furniture that are not arch colors.

E:) Please allow us to expand columns in bsb's, bcu's, crates, etc...  especially the volume column, which is always cut off at the last 5 digits, (ie xx444.44)

I am sure I am not the only one that has some thoughts about the upcoming QoL changes.  So let's hear some of what you would like to see changed or fixed for 2023! 

Thank you  :)

B is nonsense.... marketplaces literally exist because of the tax

C is abusable easily.. you can troll and load well casted mailbox from anywhere... and steal it to your home or troll and load a bunch and ditch them over lava tile, nothing prevents you from doing that

D could be part of better coloring/painting mechanic*, wurm needs different additional control for painting items:
- preview and testing

- fix to existing lol dye mechanic which was confirmed to be bad but was forgotten in it's bad state

- little/BIG, I mean HUGE/ qol is adding Icon specifying which item could be painted with dye and which could be only painted with color-rune

-- adding any possible to dye or color-rune item into a view(like WOM viewer)... then be able to directly force RGB color on it.. test existing rune or forcing "suggested"

--- what the heck.. do I mean dam it:

Spoiler

dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-it-dam-324690.jpgs-l500.jpg

Add Add-to-crafting-recipe-view.. but for painting/dye/color-rune in-wurm-world-preview with realistic 1:1 color preview for drag/drop dye/color for the times and cases the player have these in-hand(works with own or handed to it tools); also add option to skip this and force apply(preview in viewer window) the item and force RGB number from player-input numbers;

LETS GO THE EXTRA MILE.. 

and add the option to PREVIEW IN WORLD, nothing beats seeing the thing you want to see as you see it really, does it?
- add a checkbox or button w/e.. toggle to do all the above.. and preview the item not just in item model view dialog window, but also just render it in exact same colors in the player world as just client-side thing(sure could be server-side forced but this also lets you go to a slaying/impalong/etc.. and go disco mode.. and show all kinds of weird colors flashing at people, doesn't it... and wont cost a thing to do it...)

So.. maybe lets stick to freedom.. but not give too much freedom to drown in it?

Edited by Finnn

I would love to have the manage buildings and animals windows (probably others are like this too) be wide enough to actually show ALL the text. I don't know how many times I have explained to someone that you have to drag the widow to the right to see "demolish" or "unbrand" If that cant be done then at least make it when you do extend it to see the text it stays that way until you are done in that window.

Make the Small square table be able to hold more than a few items on top. Its bigger than the round marble table but cant even take 4 place settings.

While we are at it, more slots (Slots are invisible points, located on objects to hold other objects) on everything :) If it has a flat surface I would love to be able to place something on top of it. Some examples: top of the Wardrobe Window ledges in Stone/Slate etc windows, Amphora and planter racks, the shelf in the Stone oriel window, Stone bench, Wooden bench, Crate rack, Larder, Alchemist’s cupboard the list goes on.

Matching wood tones! Why do my walnut items have 3 different colors of wood? Its not stained walnut, its made of walnut! lol

~Indigoe

Edited by Kementari
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Docterchese said:

I think everything I'd like to see revolves around improving the onboarding experience for new players. It is astonishing that Wurm has stuck around for almost 20 years, and this really speaks volumes of how good the game is at filling a very specific MMO niche.

However, we cannot take Wurm's continued survival for granted. The game will not survive for another 20 years without new players, and there is so much lacking that could help them to stick around.

Firstly, I want Wurm to have a good tutorial. Wurm has never really had a good tutorial and that has always held it back. In my opinion, this should be the number one priority. The Devs should really look hard into proper design of interactive tutorials and add new UI tools to support this, making an engaging, informative and less text-heavy tutorial.

Secondly, an overhaul of the new player experience. I think things like the journal system are a great start, but it should be refined with a nicer UI and placed front and centre in the experience of a new account. Gamers are different to when Wurm was released 20 years ago and expect to have a more refined and quest-like experience when starting a new game. I'd love to see something in-game to help new players find empty land to settle, too, as a lot of people quit pretty quickly because they spawn into a crowded area and get stuck.

Thirdly, +1 to optimisations. Wurm should run a lot better than it does and this undoubtedly scares a lot of people away (plus it would be a big QoL change that benefits all current players too.)

Fourthly, the audio in Wurm is... underwhelming, with a lot of it not matching animations added in the 1.0 update 10 (!!!) years ago. It would make the game feel much more polished and immersive if it had better audio effects across the board.

Fifthly (is that a word?) I think most people make their own deed now instead of joining an existing village, and the game should change to reflect that. I'd love it if there were ways to advertise alliances and encourage new players to join them much more strongly when they found a deed, as being in a good alliance can be a monumental help to new mayors.

Sixthly (not a word lol), improve the UI! A lot of things are quite cluttered (like the toolbar of 10+ buttons and the many many different windows.) The UI should be streamlined and it should he much easier to find and discover all of the relevant windows.

Finally, it really irks me that servers become "tarnished" so quickly because land gets permanently modified. I would love it if Wurm servers could "rewild" themselves in empty, long-since-abandoned areas ready for new settlers. This would include changes that happen over the course of multiple real-life years, like:

- forests that regrow to have a range of trees (no more endless plantations of the same tree type just because someone made one 10 years ago in that spot)

- quicker steppe/desert/tundra regrowth to repair damage and repair damage from rifts

- slow erosion of heavily modified terrain not near deeds or highways. It makes no sense that huge player-made slopes last forever, that makes the land ugly and unnatural. It should erode over time.

- faster removal of paving in areas that aren't a road. Big square paved areas should erode faster unless it's on a deed or very often visited. (why not also add erosion steps to make it less serious, too? Like making paving erode into gravel first.)

This rewilding would never completely remove all signs of habitation, but would make areas feel natural again and would free up lots of land to be re-settled. We also have the archeology system now, too, meaning that all traces of past deeds will never be lost forever.

Big +1 to that post!

• Like 5

I have many thoughts on this topic that I will try to refine before dumping a wall of text as I try to think through it.  For the moment it would be:

- dye applied to cartography stamps should not take decay (maybe they need to be kept in a stamp box?)
- give items that don't take damage over time a 'nodecay' tag, similar to how we now have the 'deathkept' tag for nodrop items

• Like 5

i think a big QoL change would be able to make notes in the cookbook on amounts to use for recipes. 

maybe a few recipes added to create small (water/wind)mills or molds that can do minor automation like make 10 easy items at once, iE a grain mill that can mill 10 grain to flour or a mold  for smiths and potters that allow them to make 10 of the same item at once, these dont have to be able to do it instantly but could either do it over a period of time or have a cooldown before you can load it up again. possibilities i see would be nails/ fence bars/ ribbons/ arrowheads/ rivets for smiths, clay bricks for potters, milling grains or rock salt for cooking, making planks/shafts/pegs/tenons for woodworking the quality of the mill and the quality of the resources determine the mills final ql. as for stone cutting i do not thinks such a mill could be made to precisely chisel a brick however a mill for making mortar could be a possibility. however i do realize that not everyone would be on board with this idea i just think it would be nice to have some type of automation after all the timeframe of wurm is supposed to be medievil and medievil people in our real world had access to mills and molds.

although the biggest QoL change i would like is a magical bulk storage option for storing rare/supreme/fantastic crafting resource items

Kordeth Bludscythe, Master Architect of the Shackport Alliance, Shackport E-13 Melody Server

Traipse, Lodge Owner of Fir Retreat, O-18 Independence Server

Edited by kordethbludscythe
added nametag
  • Like 2

Might not directly be a QOL, but id love better character customization. 

• Like 8

I'd like cart horses to stop 'nodding' as they walk onto a bridge.  It is possible to make both horses nod at the same time by driving straight onto the bridge, or each horse nod in turn by entering the bridge at an angle.  I believe it's caused by the cart horses temporarily taking the height and slope of the tile below the abutment to calculate their body angle (tail up and head down). So what we have is a horse who is supposed to be on a bridge, but whose body angle check says it's on the tile underneath. This doesn't happen noticeably on leaving a bridge, only on entering it. 

There is one precise moment that causes the nod - when the origin or mid point of the horse model passes over the tile border from regular tile to bridge tile.  Once the mid point of the model has passed onto the bridge itself, the angle is recalculated, and the horse does slowly adjust to the angle of the bridge, but this is slow and noticeable.  I cannot say what causes the delay between the mid point crossing over onto the bridge tile and updating the horse's angle to reflect this.  Clearly the angle is calculated incorrectly at the time the mid point crosses the tile border.  Hitched animals are able to adjust to *tile* height and angle almost immediately, so it might be useful to check if they are on a bridge tile a moment sooner and adjust the angle immediately to avoid the 'nod'.  To do this it might help to look ahead a bit at where the front feet are, before the mid point reaches the bridge.  In any case, the horse's body angle needs to be set relative to the bridge *at or before* the point when the mid point crosses onto it.

We need the same thing to avoid horses 'climbing' momentarily as they enter a mine.

I have noticed it's a lot better than it was, but the climbing and nodding would be great to fix. :) 

• Like 1

Hoping lots of things but i do hope that those sudden crashes will be repaired. I mean those crashes which started after that second halloween update/patch/fix whatever u wanna call it.

• Like 1

Lots of great suggestions and ideas coming into the thread!  Most of this I would have never even thought of suggesting.

I would also like to second the suggestion of making a transaction log for merchant and mailbox sales.  This was posted in another thread, but should be seriously looked at regarding any type of sale.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Docterchese said:

- slow erosion of heavily modified terrain not near deeds or highways.

Some points to make is that a new player should also be able to learn about pvp through the tutorial system as well.

Journal goals for pvp would also be great.

There is a whole other side of wurm that gets overlooked and it would be good to have the pvp side get a look in as well.  There is a whole other player base out there that loves pvp content. Let's promote that to them to fill up the pvp and epic servers again.

Also, the point about unnatural terrain should maybe not apply to pvp servers since massive dirt walls and other man made barriers are a part of every day wurm life and defence.

• Like 1

Fix pop up text boxes to be content sensitive.

Currently:

When opening a crate, bsb, fsb, pile - ANY thing that creates a text box - the width should automatically accommodate the text inside.

Mine out a bunch of tiles in a cave - each one must be resized to see how many are in it.  Every time.

Clear the trees on an area on the surface, terraform the dirt and rock, creating a bunch of piles - each one must be resized to see how many of each item are in it. Every time.

Open any of the 'manage' windows.  Cannot be confident you are seeing all the columns.  (i.e., Tamed on the manage animal screen.)

It is 2023. First year Intro to Computer Programming in college no longer uses BASIC or Pascal.  No text box should open that doesn't automatically accommodate the contents of the text in the box.

• Like 5

Getting a macOS client that is not restricted to the OpenGL legacy version, so we can get to enjoy all those graphics enhancements that have been available on other platforms for some time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nordlys said:

We've been missing non-white skin tones for how long now?

• Like 6

Can we give dredging some love? I have a whole channel that needs to be dredged - but I refuse to dig each corner individually, and flatten doesn't work in a rock layer region where you won't get flat tiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

We've been missing non-white skin tones for how long now?

Sure, that too - along with better graphics and sliders. Atleast give me the option to be fat if i want to.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Nordlys said:

What about allowing 1 free customization per year for each character, without using a mirror?  This would go along with better character customization options.

Edited by Tukodama
  • Like 2

A fo spell that lets us give followers our critter protection for a fixed duration.

New players struggle to travel on Xanadu - this would be an easy thing that lets priests help them out!

• Like 2