Sign in to follow this  
Muse

Processes that slow or freeze Wurm momentarily

I have been noticing Wurm running slowly and momentarily freezing whilst doing my usual archaeology and then restoration.  Tonight it was unresponsive for probably over a minute whilst I was hunting for fragments.

SO I decided to open Task Manager to see what was running.

My Wurm client usually has 3 things going on:

Spoiler

pm4JlRC.png

But I notice that every so often the console is activated, a process called "Lists the current running tasks..." appears (very briefly), and the number of background processes increases:

Spoiler

N1TLTBr.png

What is Wurm doing during these times? and why is it causing a micro-freeze to the game each time it happens, whilst I am playing it?  

I admit I'm feeling a bit spooked because yesterday I loaded my Comodo secure shopping basket, and it wouldn't continue because it said another computer was accessing my computer remotely, and there was a chance I could be watched.  I logged out of Wurm and tried Comodo secure shopping basket again, and it was fine, no warning message.  To double check, I closed Comodo SSB , and loaded up Wurm, and then finally opened Comodo SSB again and got the warning message again, so just a heads up in case anyone is having problems with Comodo secure shopping basket and Wurm together.

Thanks! :) 

I don't know if it's the same issue but every now and then there are some micro freezes (like 1 or 2 sec freezes)

Everyone has these micro freezes (I have watched multiple Wurm streamers and it happens to all of them, but they simply don't care).

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

probably the garbage collector doing it's thing

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

probably the garbage collector doing it's thing

* doing it's thing poorly.

fixed there for you. :)

On 1/9/2023 at 8:20 PM, Lucas said:

I don't know if it's the same issue but every now and then there are some micro freezes (like 1 or 2 sec freezes)

Everyone has these micro freezes (I have watched multiple Wurm streamers and it happens to all of them, but they simply don't care).

That is not quite correct, I don't have this issue (to the extend of other people) because I use a GC implementation that manages to be largely concurrent.

The problem is that the version of Java Wurm uses is the old Java 8 series, and a lot of the newer GC implementations that try to provide low-latency operation are only available from 11 onwards (or locked behind commercial versions that cost really big bucks). Changing the runtime version is… nontrivial for most people.

A further problem is that running a program that can not miss its 16ms (60fps) budget on a garbage collected language is genuinely frustratingly hard. Unity ran into the same problem with C#. Ideally you'd design the application to manually invoke GC and do some tricks to avoid dirtying memory, but that is fiddly and again, genuinely hard to do.

Keenan has indicated that a change of the runtime is on the cards, so that would be one hurdle taken. However, low-latency GC implementations come with tradeoffs that may not be worth it for other people.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

Unfortunately, changing run-times is a non-trivial exercise, so although it is being worked on, it'll take some time, particularly as there are other things that need updating first.