Sign in to follow this  
Zaxthule

Question about mining.

So i know the prospecting function tells you what is within a specific amount of squares but what about beyond that? 

For example i started a mine where my prospect said there was iron nearby. So if i mine beyond what the prospecting function could reach is it possible to find different ores? Or is Iron the only thing i am likely to find there? 

Also out of curiosity what kind of dangers are involved? I have heard of cave ins and flooding but do i need to worry about breaking into a cave occupied by creatures or anything similar? 

You can find other ores. The ores are randomly scattered thru the server, but do tend to cluster a bit. So, you'll usually find several veins of the same type within 10-20 tiles of each other. This isn't a hard and fast rule, just a probability.

Dangers in caves like cave-ins and flooding are unlikely. Cave-ins do happen on unsupported tiles sometimes, but you can reinforce the walls to prevent that. Just make sure you don't want to mine a wall to make like a side passage or make the cave larger to find more veins before you reinforce. A lot of people just leave caves unreinforced, and some will make large, unreinforced caves in hopes of making a vein farm where the resulting collapsed tiles will produce the occasional vein. But cave-ins are fairly rare for each tile.

Flooding won't happen unless you deliberately mine down while you're at or near water level. Some people do have underground lakes either to make boat caves for parking boats in or for fishing, or because they messed it up and don't want to make and use concrete to fix it.

If you are mining into a mountain that has had a lot of caves and tunnels made previously, there is a chance of opening up into one of those previous caves. There might be mobs inside, depending on how big the cave/tunnel is and whether or not mobs have spawned inside. Any caves or tunnels in a mountain were made by players though, all mountains in Wurm (as far as I'm aware) were solid rock when that particular server was new.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, Zaxthule said:

Thanks you so much! @DaletheGood i really appreciate your guidance with my questions over the last few days. 😀 

Anytime Zax. If you want to reach out in-game (same name) or here on a PM, feel free. I'll answer what I can :) I'm not too good at skilling effectively, but been around long enough to know a bit about the game :)

• Like 2