Sign in to follow this  
Zaxthule

Bounty System

Hi. Im pretty new only been on for a month so im not super knowledgeable but i think a good idea would be for Guards to offer a small bounty per corpse brought to them.

Something small like maybe 5 copper coins for animal corpses and 10 copper for monster corpses (Such as trolls, Hellhounds, ect.)  Any input? Is this a good idea or no? 

Already exists in game.  

You can sell corpses to deed tokens for 11 iron coins each (assuming no damage).  Enjoy!

27 minutes ago, Spacy said:

You can sell corpses to deed tokens for 11 iron coins

I knew this one but its great to find out they will also take it at a guard tower. Much closer than running to town with a cart full of corpses lol. 

It's random, but just burying the corpses can get you coins. I seem to get a 5 or 20 copper coin like every 20-30 corpses I bury, which if my 'first-thing-in-the-morning' math is right is a higher payout than selling at the token.

Since guards don't have shovels, not sure what they'd do with a corpse if you gave it to them.

2 hours ago, Zaxthule said:

Hi. Im pretty new only been on for a month so im not super knowledgeable but i think a good idea would be for Guards to offer a small bounty per corpse brought to them.

Something small like maybe 5 copper coins for animal corpses and 10 copper for monster corpses (Such as trolls, Hellhounds, ect.)  Any input? Is this a good idea or no? 

Those payouts are way high given how easy those "monsters" are to kill when you get a bit of skill and knowledge behind you. Selling to token was just a thing added back many years ago when there were no rare rolls when hunting/foraging/botanizing in order to give the people who couldn't afford premium a way to earn it ingame, at a massive timesink cost. Bounty to guards isn't a terrible idea, but it falls apart once you have to wonder how to impliment it without it just being abused if the payouts are kept higher than the sell to token cost.

Options for implementation are really:

1. Payouts are kept the same as token cost, so what's the point?
  2. Payouts are higher than token, why bother having selling to token?
  3. Payouts are higher than token, but timegated for new accounts. How do you solve alt abuse?

I think the current ability to get coins foraging/botanizing/hunting/burying corpses is already enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

Bounty to guards isn't a terrible idea, but it falls apart once you have to wonder how to impliment it without it just being abused if the payouts are kept higher than the sell to token cost.

Fair point. Honestly its probably just me but i feel like it would be nice to see another way of making coins through combat. As it stands now from what i have experienced the last month there seems to be little to 0 incentive to train combat skills with the cap on basic accounts.  Most of the mobs with worthwhile rewards seem to way overmatch new players from what I've seen. I mean even a regular old crab nearly demolished me. 

Unless im missing something or perhaps the progression is more impactful than i realize? 

Honestly maybe its just me but i feel like there should be a slightly more worthwhile way to make coins without player to player trades as well. I know i personally have always avoided gaming communities like the plague. Too many bad experiences in the past . which leaves me and others like me in a really hard place as far as the game goes unless we want to spend irl money. Which i just cant afford. I know its cheep but my income irl barely keeps me afloat as is. 

1 hour ago, Zaxthule said:

Fair point. Honestly its probably just me but i feel like it would be nice to see another way of making coins through combat. As it stands now from what i have experienced the last month there seems to be little to 0 incentive to train combat skills with the cap on basic accounts.  Most of the mobs with worthwhile rewards seem to way overmatch new players from what I've seen. I mean even a regular old crab nearly demolished me. 

Unless im missing something or perhaps the progression is more impactful than i realize? 

Honestly maybe its just me but i feel like there should be a slightly more worthwhile way to make coins without player to player trades as well. I know i personally have always avoided gaming communities like the plague. Too many bad experiences in the past . which leaves me and others like me in a really hard place as far as the game goes unless we want to spend irl money. Which i just cant afford. I know its cheep but my income irl barely keeps me afloat as is. 

Wurm is absolutely balanced with premium in mind, as sadly balancing it for the non-prem end really leaves you in a place where there's nothing left to challenge anyone who is prem. And then you've got no money, no game, yada yada yada....

Honestly, player to player trade is the main and best way to make money and there's no here nor there about it. You can absolutely pay for premium just by hunting, burying, and foraging/botanizing for coins. But it's not a particularly fun way to play, neither is only funding your play through sales. Making bulk items is a bore, and there's enough bulk service offers that it ultimately tends a bit saturated for those in the lower end of the skill pool.

At the end of the day, it's an MMO game and the idea of interacting with players is baked into the game. The only people with any real hermit status are those well enough to pay for everything with IRL money. You don't need to sweat interaction too much. Typically you can just post in trade that you're offering 1000 bricks/mortar/plank/shaft/ect. for whatever appropriate amount based on cluster and all you have to do is wait for them to come pick up their order in their boat/wagon/whatever.

Don't be afraid of the community, it's welcoming and accepting of newer players and there's a plethora of people always willing to help you out without it being overbearing. Dip your toes in, you'll find the water is warm and pleasant.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Don't be afraid of the community, it's welcoming and accepting of newer players and there's a plethora of people always willing to help you out without it being overbearing. Dip your toes in, you'll find the water is warm and pleasant.

Absolutely agree. I am by nature a hermit, but this community is warm and welcoming and willing to help newbs out at no cost. need an upgrade to your starter tool set? there's plenty of vets (like myself) that have coffins full of mid-range tools just sitting around gathering dust and decay ticks. Especially on SFI you could probably get a full set of 40-60ql tools for free from someone, or from several someones.

Yeah, getting premium as a newb can be a bore, but doable. Depending on how much you play you could forage/botanize or make bricks or mortar for a week and pay for premium for the month. If you're only playing a couple times a week for only an hour or two each time, well, that's going to be a lot more difficult.

Final point: Getting your fighting skill up to at least 20 is very rewarding as then you won't get killed by everything, which puts a real damper on having fun in Wurm. If you can fend off wolves, rats, mountain lions, bears and spiders without dropping what you're doing and running to a guard tower, it makes it so much easier to play. Sure, the bigger mobs will still be an issue, but it won't be as bad if you're not running from every.thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

If you can fend off wolves, rats, mountain lions, bears and spiders without dropping what you're doing and running to a guard tower, it makes it so much easier to play.

Thankfully that hasn't been a huge issue for me. I had the foresight to set up just behind a guard tower. Over the month along with guards I've killed about 5 trolls 1 hellhound a handful of giant spiders and various normal animals with little to no issue. Long distance travel is still a bit of an issue but honestly im not ready to go for long explorations anyway. 

Was honestly quite surprised with the crab though 😂 thing almost outright killed me lol. 

• Like 1

Yeah it tends to happen. With time and experience, the world is your oyster though.

Doing work ingame can be rewarding in its own way, depending on what you can and will do. Classified Ads on the forum for your cluster is a nice start, Dale himself has a project with a fantastic rate of pay and additional elements for people willing to work there.

• Like 1

Definitely been said already but the community on here is great when it comes to assisting/helping with new players. 

As Madnath said, there are vets out there (myself being one) that happily help new players out. If you're bit short on coin for something on the higher end, depending what it is, then usually something can be worked out. If you're in need of some tools that are higher QL than the starter ones that you're provided but are a bit strapped for cash, then something can be worked out in that regard too. I've more than once helped new players out by simply having them pay COD for something or by covering it myself, whether it was some fur for a bed, some mid range tools with enchants, or a shield to help stave off those pesky monsters. 

Don't be afraid to ask in trade/freedom if you need something. Wurm has a great community behind it!

• Like 1

Bounties on players would also be neat. Pay x silver to put a bounty on y player on PvP servers.

there are bounties, kill 1000 creatures for the butchered items and sell them to a player, boom easy money

Would have to be careful with some bounty systems on players. Ive seen such systems be "abused" in various ways.

In one case, it was possible to cash in on bounties using alts or allies, especially on oneself.

Edited by Karrde

When I saw the title I expected almost a quest system.

Guard tells you a troll has been causing issues to the west. Track it down for a reward. Tracking system gives you some clues, tracking actually has a use! You find and kill the mob. Get some food item, maybe a treasure map fragment. Some minor reward not coin. Adds a more active mercenary game play. Maybe even a deedless wandering monster hunter.

Would never happen but add a mercenary rank. The missions get harder, go farther. Eventually add a very small chance to spawn a unique for you to track down. Ie will only spawn when you track to it. Allows a more open and active way to get unique kills that can be easily organized without big drama/pinning. 

I know it won't ever happen but sounds fun.

In the past I have used Freedom chat to put bounties on nuisance mobs such as champ trolls around my deed.  I would pay hunters on receipt of the corpse, or on destruction of the mound. 

Idea: 

It would be great if a sponsor could right-click the nuisance troll, or troll mound, and assign a bounty to it - say 1 silver.   This would take 1 silver from the sponsor's bank account in the same way as a wagoner holds funds before delivery.  Anyone managing to kill the troll or remove the mound would get the coin which has previously been taken from the sponsor's bank account.  If the troll died naturally or the mound decays on its own, the funds would be returned to the sponsor.  A limit could be set of 3 bounty targets active per sponsor.

Edit: Only aggressive hunter type mobs can be assigned a bounty.  Passives and hell horses would be excluded along with anything on someone else's deed / branded / cared for / tamed / led / hitched / mounted. :) 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Muse said:

Idea: 

It would be great if a sponsor could right-click the nuisance troll, or troll mound, and assign a bounty to it - say 1 silver.   This would take 1 silver from the sponsor's bank account in the same way as a wagoner holds funds before delivery.  Anyone managing to kill the troll or remove the mound would get the coin which has previously been taken from the sponsor's bank account.  If the troll died naturally or the mound decays on its own, the funds would be returned to the sponsor.  A limit could be set of 3 bounty targets active per sponsor.

I REALLY like this idea - add in a way to check for current bounties(like a bounty board, similar to the village message and recruitment boards) for your server as well, that way a person could check to see if there are any bounties available. Could be used on PvP as well, however there should be a time limit on a repeated bounty on a player so as to not cause it to be used for griefing

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 1