Sign in to follow this  
Tomatoes

The Trolls, The Drama, and the World of Wurm.

Salacious title, I know. We will get to that.

This will be intentionally spaced out so as to be as inclusive as possible. if you have a problem with that, I am sorry, but its a bit necessary at this point. That being said it -  won't be just one or two sentences at a time, for those of us that have a hard time with walls of text, I'm sorry but its necessary.

So, an event occurred the other day that, unfortunately, landed in my lap. Something that is my 'responsibility', or so i gather from the way it was handed to me. That event: Being told "you create drama", when anyone and EVERYONE on the planet is capable of doing the same. My first thought was 'hypocrites'. You don't want to know what I found out.

Saying that a singular person creates drama would be a lot like saying every human on the planet is doomed to fail - its just not g** d***** true(sorry bout the language for those that care). it would be a lot more accurate to say 'you created this drama'. However, even then I fail to see how I created this drama...but, at this point its 'whatever'.

However, along with that claim came several others, like 'you spread drama' and 'you are a troll'. there are others as well, however ill address the rest individually, as for the two just mentioned, While I may smile, laugh, and shake my head in laughter its only because of the real truth: While its true that i know how to use drama for my own purposes, I'm more likely to be caught up in it and be unable to escape it then I am to be the one in charge of it. 

PERSONALLY I prefer to end it, to tell someone with ability or knowledge that can take care of the situation. That changed the minute I found out I was autistic. Something inside me told me it was time to defend myself, and I have been learning how to do that ever since. However, I am no where near skilled enough in any capacity for this, IMHO, but at least i am trying. 

Unfortunately for me, I USED TO reflect drama - aka "spread' it. Now, why did I do that: because I was being used by real trolls to do their dirty work. It was not fun, and although I tried to call out for help, no one ever listened.

You see, real trolls DON'T STOP when you turn your back on them...they keep going, and do so harder, because they know its working...they can see they are driving you away, and as a result they 'push' harder. They don't stop until they get what they want, and they use the rest of the community to do it.

They tell people things in private about lies and rumors, just to 'wind them up' and get them to 'spin out', then they deny that it ever happens. someone like me they would use repeatedly just to get their kicks off. 90% of the time it was entertainment, however there was that last 10%...the Malicious ones.

you see, for this class of 'troll', someone hurt them, and they use someone like me to draw in their prey. depending on the situation it could be a some sort co-dependency analog, or even a revenge situation. Its disgusting really, and after a few times of being used this way, i stayed away from any sort of chat interaction just cause of the fear of being used in this way again.  Until i found out that i was autistic.

Now, no one in this community has ever used me like that(afaik), even if someone has tried(and failed) to do so. That(my experiences at being 'drama bait') all happened long before i came to Wurm, both in real life, and in another game that wont be named. However, If someone in this game winds you up, Please - tell staff.

Unless its me, then tell me first please: I am MORE then willing to compromise on some things, just like any other person, and the last thing I want to do is wind anyone up, and I will make every effort to do so as long as that doesn't interfere with me being myself. Anything else I will work with you on, and If you feel you can't tell me, tell one of my friends. 

I wont tell you who my friends are, that is for them to say, if they wish to. However I will tell you that if you want to identify your friends, they are the people that want you to do better then you already are, that help you when asked, and even when unasked if you happen to be stuck and not know it. They are also the people that will tell you who has been actually causing you issues, if they have the knowledge, and will help you figure out who has been trying to cause you issues.

Because the trolls don't stop, not until they get what they want, what ever that happens to be. They will continue to try to get others to turn against you as long as they see that what they are doing is driving you away. The ONLY way to stop them is to tell those in power who is causing you issues, but it can only be done by the target.

that is the key - only the person who is being harassed can make a claim of trolling/griefing/harassment on any other player. 

its Hearsay otherwise.

If one of your friends is being attacked in game, defend them within the rules of the game, but tell staff as well, so that they can deal with it correctly.

as for the title, it got your attention, didn't it?

**Quick fyi, i spent nearly 6 hrs trying to figure out which forum to post this in. if i put it in the wrong one, just move it, plz and ty. 

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 2
  • Cat 3

1 hour ago, Ulost said:

What is this again?

Someone making a 9 year long post over nothing lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holar said:

Guys, please. Don't say this is nothing. 

I hear you Tomatoes. While the Wurm player base on a larger scale has created one of the most admirable teamwork and communities within the virtual world, even I have noticed the trolling and drama happening around. A lot of players don't know how to act or react to that in case they are the victim of it. Some fall for it and even end up taking the blame. Other players just get badly hurt. What I do to the best of my abilities is shrug it off and ignore it - it's not always enough I know. Don't fall for their drama. Don't give them what they want.
Besides that, it's hard to tell when it's friendly banter or when it's serious trolling. 

An internet troll is someone who takes pleasure in creating drama, however, there exists someone who takes pleasure in making other people miserable. We don't have a place for them in Wurm and here is where Tomatoes has a point. You are not alone and you are not supposed to handle these things alone. Staff is here for us, and so are your friends and alliance. No one is meant to feel sad after spending time in a game that we play for fun.

I will second what Tomatoes say: Don't let someone hurt you or create drama around you without acting. Help other players when you can. Reach out - always - if something is hurting or troubling you. 
I will repeat myself, Wurmians in general are amazing and wonderful. You guys never seize to make me smile and impress me. Remember this if you are one of the hurt ones. Reach out to the community. There are a lot of resources and friendliness for all.

• Like 10
  • Cat 1

I need a tl;dr, what is this about, personal drama or freestyle rap for pve?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Finnn said:

TL;DR - There are some people who are being used as 'Troll Fodder' - in a way you could call it mind control.

I do not know how many, but I know I am not the only one who has ever been used that way.

8 hours ago, Holar said:

9?!?!?!? only 9??? Holar, i think you are a bit mistaken. it would not surprise me to know that its been around since Wurmageddon, or earlier. Wurmageddon could have hurt someone so bad that they felt they needed to take revenge on Wurm(i know, this is speculation, a 'possible' - how possible i do not know), and i am sure you know of the MR incident that will not be discussed here. 

This has been going on longer then a lot of people, even I, realize. I just might have been the the latest victim is all.

Without good friends in game, I would not have been able to get myself free.

Knowledge alone is not enough, sometimes, to dig yourself out of a pit that you fell into.

Sometimes them pits are EXTREMELY well hidden, so much so that, even when someone knows to watch for them, they can be missed.

My point here is: if one of your friends is calling out for help, then they may have fallen into a pit themselves. be wary ofc, but if you can get them out, its really is in your own self interests to do so - Your Reputation is your own to manage

• Like 1

I have every sympathy with this person. if your playing wurm and able to create all those wonderful deeds then u prob have nothing better to do with your time / except get powerful then exert that power. unfortunate the online world does not take prisoners. I think devs have a certain responsibility here, mental health is a bigger issue than they prob think. whilst i agree its basically a ffa i reiterate we each have a responsibility to look after each other.. merry xmas tomatoes this will pass xx

• Like 2

Avoiding Global is a great way to stymie the drama.

Not only do I feel a stronger community bond with my fellow Cadence dwellers, but I haven't been warned or muted once since making the switch. Less people to instigate drama. More humor. You can even make the occasional risque joke without green text in your event window.

Freedom chat is amazing and I'll never go back to Global.

Edited by Viceren
  • Like 5

wasted some time reading this...

You have some serious issue with:

- SEEKING ATTENTION and public for your thoughts;

- you have strong desire to tell people you have autism; this is not a jail-free card, you (I assume) learn to live with that and make best of it - if and where possible

trolling and so on... that's in the ToS, read it; one good way to annoy people is to pull them and bore them with things they know

- about your so called power of managing dramas, you seem to abuse your "superpower" and force crowds to know and talk about you and what you do, etc, this is really not cool, find a hobby that's not easily described as "toxic influence"

Forums are many times referred to you specifically as not the place for mental dump or taking a thoughts sh*t to burden others, whatever you're going through, there are hotlines, places, groups, communities all(well.. most) free and welcoming, best part with expertise for same or similar situations, or at least better equipped to provide various support.

MMORPG/sandbox/game... Town square(player central post space) really shouldn't be the place to post your personal random sad thoughts or support with absolutely no reason, just to seek attention. 

Sounds harsh... I really cant find anything here that makes it useful to me or others, and I can't recall anybody else needing help to read the ToS or figure who are it's friends, why, etc

I assumed you had one of the usual "episodes" of pvp drama or w/e of the sort or some community fight or explosion and "sorry" post after, certainly none of the above but still... totally pointless thought dump post.

Maybe you could ask staff for mental health forum section, and if there's need for such, this kind of posts could flourish there, same for tips and tricks to relax, chill-ax and so on, vent on stuff that annoy people in general and how they deal with stuff, etc

Art, hobbies, spare free time out of the game or ingame and stories or experiences etc... all that have it's section.. it's just normally in wood-scraps/community assistance or elsewhere.. so far.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Viceren said:

Not only do I feel a stronger community bond with my fellow Cadence dwellers, but I haven't been warned or muted once since making the switch. Less people to instigate drama. More humor. You can even make the occasional risque joke without green text in your event window.

serious loss for the community @Viceren, GL with proper etiquette is usually better unless hijacked by 2-3 usual "spam conversations" or botnet derails;

but that's easy to replace and create safer or right community or interaction group, there's irc for one.. and if controls with it.. are lacking, there's discord(personal/group or official as per personal preference)

1 hope is.. with different clusters and servers.. one day friend-list controls and teamplay will offer chat and sharing permissions through servers/clusters where possible to cross within same cluster, else just chat... what I mean is easier way to connect and interact with just few people, find each other, etc(something like through server/cluster alliance/clan/call it w/e really.. but way to interact with just a few people within the game and not need 3rd party tools and alts)

• Like 1

I must say that GL has extremely improved during the course of the last two years. It had a lot to do with the disappearing of two or three very controversial contributors. Spam. flames, and political/religious or otherwise controversial rants and trolls are rare nowadays. I use to read GL a lot more than in  the years before when it was mostly a gutter. High traffic may still be a reason to avoid it at least to some extent.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

Lets be real - Lets be honest:

10 hours ago, AustinS said:

What a waste of 6,292 or so keystrokes

Intentionally attempting to get a response - congratulations, you know how to create drama(slow clap)

4 hours ago, Viceren said:

You do you: if you have to avoid GL in order to function, cool - you know your own boundaries. one of the best things to know about yourself IMHO ❤️

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

----SNIP----

Finn, I totally get you don't get this so I am not even going to bother quoting you, because you are completely missing the point of WHY I "talk about my autism" as you so rudely put it. 

Why do I talk about my autistic nature so much? 

Because not everyone understands what its like to be someone who is autistic and I believe its everyone's responsibility to speak up when they see wrongs being committed

From what i understand, Most of my 'attackers' are doing so on the mistaken idea that I am a 'disruptive influence', and want me gone because they think I do nothing but spread drama, and cause issues.

LIKE I SAID EARLIER IN THIS THREAD - WE ALL CAN CAUSE DRAMA!!! But that doesn't mean its bad - it can be bad, depending on who it is that is causing it, and WHY they are doing so. But on the whole drama isn't bad - its just another tool, and everyone can use it.

The best drama's are those that that have participants that know whats going on and are cooperating on giving the best entertainment possible. Entertainment is what drama is meant to be used for - not driving someone out of a public event just because YOU happen to be uncomfortable. 

That is the result of a Malicious Troll getting their way.

I was asked to not be staff at the Lunalong this year as Dracaa had more help then she needed from my understanding, and my equipment was also in good shape since id been to the Friendalong, so, since i had no real reason to be at the Lunalong, I would stay home, except for the Santa role Dracaa wanted me to play. When i did get to the Lunalong things started out fine, got the list of people from Dracaa(her event after all) and started passing out presents. after i got in a groove i went to try to join the sermon circle. 

Now, there was someone upset at the current situation with how the sermon circle was being run. That persons 'anger' hit me, and as a result i was preparing to help figure out why and maybe help calm the person down. Was told to can it. At the time i figured fine, not my monkeys, not my business. even when a open slot showed up for the impalong i didnt join. only reason this is even mentioned is for completeness sake

Then, the next morning, someone claimed I was randomly pm'ing people and making them 'uncomfortable'. Now, I will grant that I was attempting to 'play a role'(santa) so maybe some of my pm's to the gift givers may have been a bit stilted and or confusing(like i can act, really), but beyond Santa gifts, there was only one other person I even pm'ed, and that was a friend. Now, its 'conceivable' that Dracaa wanted the gift giving 'public', but i figure she would have said so if that was what she wanted.

Then, the next morning, someone claimed I was randomly pm'ing people and making them 'uncomfortable'.

You may ask me 'who': i dont know.....impalong staff said this to me, no one else. 

this is why and how i know someone is using the community to do their dirty work....i was just driven out of an event i thought i was welcome at.

EDIT:
I just want this dropped, grounded if you will. let bygones be bygones for crying out loud.

Edited by Tomatoes

On 12/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, Finnn said:

I put the 1st post into chatgpt ai and asked it to explain what the following text meant and it told me this while thinking I wrote the post but well, it helped me understand better:

It said the following: 

It seems like you are discussing your experiences with drama and trolls in a community or online game.

You mention that you used to reflect or spread drama, but now try to avoid it and defend yourself.

You also mention that real trolls often use other people, like yourself, to spread drama and create chaos in a community.

You encourage people to speak up and seek help if they are being wound up or used by trolls, and you offer to work with others to resolve any issues.

You also emphasize the importance of being yourself and compromising with others, but also recognize the need to set boundaries and protect oneself from toxic or harmful behavior.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I put the 1st post into chatgpt ai and asked it to explain what the following text meant and it told me this while thinking I wrote the post but well, it helped me understand better:

It said the following: 

It seems like you are discussing your experiences with drama and trolls in a community or online game.

You mention that you used to reflect or spread drama, but now try to avoid it and defend yourself.

You also mention that real trolls often use other people, like yourself, to spread drama and create chaos in a community.

You encourage people to speak up and seek help if they are being wound up or used by trolls, and you offer to work with others to resolve any issues.

You also emphasize the importance of being yourself and compromising with others, but also recognize the need to set boundaries and protect oneself from toxic or harmful behavior.

heh, the only thing it missed, besides that you didn't write the post, is that the drama has bleed over to real life on occasion, which is why i want this ended. Ty for the translation.

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 1