Sign in to follow this  
Zaxthule

Player to Player Sales

Hi so im a new player. Been on for about 1 month now. I've never been much of a social gamer but i want to try and get into commerce with other players however i find that i am woefully Unsure of how to do this or what i even need to know.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Welcome to Wurm, glad you’re enjoying it :)

Wurms economy is almost entirely player driven. Items are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. There are some common values such as 1i per action for menial labor (such as digging), or 10c for sacrifice rares, but even these are up for negotiation.

In most cases a new player can only produce a few items of value. They include:

Random rare tools that they have made.

Random rare components such as metal lumps, planks, sprouts, etc.

Items they have found or salvaged from old deeds.

Menial labor.

To get started:

1) Ask for price check in Trade Chat.

2) Post item in trade chat with asking value. Be prepared to haggle.

3) Most items can be sent CoD via mailbox, others you can deliver if you have a boat, or ask buyer to pick up.

Start there and you should catch on fast.

One last tip is that Wurm can be unforgiving. But the number of helpful people outweighs the number who want to take advantage. So always ask questions. If you get an offer, ask in Trade for opinions on price. I traded my first rare tool for a row boat because I didn’t know better. Don’t be like me ;)

Bulk bricks and mortar can be good. If someone is willing to pickup the first order, then you can use that money to buy a corbita. Then you can deliver to other servers. 

Thanks! @Aeryckand @grinnil35

38 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Most items can be sent CoD via mailbox,

? What exactly is CoD? 

Also if there is trade between servers i am assuming i will need to let people know what server i am on ect. How can i check that? 

How needed is the mailbox btw? 

Also last question lol (Sry lots of questions)

So if the main money maker is rare tools is there really a market for low ql normal tools? I've got almost 300 pickaxes at 20ql and i highly doubt i will ever actually use that many. 

COD is Cash on Delivery. When you mail an item you can either send it for free, or payment collect. Most items that fit in your inventory and are not "unfinished" can be mailed this way. This is the most common way to sell something and safest. The only "scam" is that if the receiver does not collect the item, it sits in their mailbox for 2 weeks before it is returned to you.

When you log into the game it will say what server you are on in the welcome message.

[09:40:55] 76 other players are online. You are on Xanadu (468 totally in Wurm).

You can mail and reach players within your cluster. You're either on Southern or Northern Freedom Isles. You can read more here.

When mailing, you dont need to know what server you're on, the game takes care of it. Just note that the mail will deliver to the server you are on AT THAT TIME so make sure you're not traveling when you ask to receive something unless you can wait for it to arrive.

A mailbox is a must in my opinion. A big enough deal that you could plan where you want to live around having one. On Xanadu server for example, you could end up 20 minutes ride from a mailbox. On more active servers, you're probably always within a few minutes of one. There are mailboxes in starter deeds too. You can build your own mailbox, but you'll need to get a priest come and enchant it for you for it to work.

Low quality tools are likely of no value. Heat them up and smelt them back to iron.

The best advice I can give is decide if you enjoy playing the game, or making money. Because most activities dont fit in both categories ;)

I'd recommend that you pick a project you want to work on, and sell anything that comes of value from doing so. For example, if you wanted to build you own ship, you'd need to skill woodcutting, carpentry, build a home to build the boat, and gather all the tools. This would be a few months project just to prepare to build the boat and would likely produce some items of value while you are working on it. If you can afford to pay real money for premium, I think you'll find this more enjoyable.

Or you could build a 1x1 shed, put a forge in it, mine 5000 iron, and do nothing but grind out horse shoes all day, hoping for rares. My mate did exactly this and actually had a blast with the game for years. Basically a complicated chat client :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zaxthule said:

So if the main money maker is rare tools is there really a market for low ql normal tools? I've got almost 300 pickaxes at 20ql and i highly doubt i will ever actually use that many. 

No, you probably won't ever use them, and there really isn't much of a market for low ql normal tools. Only uses would be if you can get a high CoC cast on one of them it'd be a good skiller tool, but as you're new and probably don't have a decent priest, that's not very likely. Can put them in a couple of coffins and repair them every couple weeks to get repair skill. Other than that, can't think of a good use for them.

How needed is the mailbox btw?

Mailboxes, or Spirit House/Cottage/Mansion/Castle as their called in game, is very useful. Almost every established deed has one, and every starter town has a runed one, so you don't need one right away unless you are a long way from one. Even if they're on a deed which you don't have perms on you can use them. Runed ones, which every starter town has and a lot of deeds have, are able to accept and send larger items like planks, shards, dirt, etc.

What exactly is CoD?

Cash on Delivery. it's the primary way people send single items for sale between each other using a mailbox.

Edit: Aeryck explained it better :)

Edited by DaletheGood

7 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

A mailbox is a must in my opinion. A big enough deal that you could plan where you want to live around having one. On Xanadu server for example, you could end up 20 minutes ride from a mailbox. On more active servers, you're probably always within a few minutes of one

So technically if i understand correctly the way you worded this tells me i don't have to have my own mailbox as long as i know where to find one? 

8 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Because most activities don't fit in both categories

Lol i have noticed XD. Spent the last 3 days mining forging and brick making lol. Been trying to flip between exploring and working on commerce but i find the commerce preparations are consuming most of my time lol. Besides untill i have premium it kinda seems like exploration is hardly worthwhile lol. 

A lot of commerce happens on the forums as well - you can browse the market sections for some idea of what people are selling, and for how much.  There are separate sections for Northern and Southern clusters (NFI / SFI), and pricing does vary a bit between the clusters - see above for the discussion on which server goes where.

NFI market section is here and SFI market section is here.

I will echo the advice above about not focussing too exclusively on making bank - if playing Wurm feels like a chore, then you may be missing the point 😉 .

Welcome to Wurm!

1 hour ago, Pandalet said:

I will echo the advice above about not focussing too exclusively on making bank - if playing Wurm feels like a chore, then you may be missing the point 😉 .

Yeah I've been noticing that lol. Done a little exploring but im nervous to go too far/ attempt to find things of value in the world untill i get premium time. Seems like most mobs are above my skill level. Keep seeing some kind of red light beaming into the sky I've thought of checking out but i have no clue what it is and don't want to die and lose my stuff lol. 

One thing that should be noted is that dealing real life money for ingame stuff is against the rules.

So if someone offers you something in game in return for you giving them real life cash/credit in some way, that's a clear violation and they should be reported to staff.

That's a bannable offense.

The only exception is using the official Wurm Online web-based shop (non-Steam client) or the official Steam account system (for characters created using the Steam client).

In other words, official payment to the Wurm Online system (like when you purchase Premium time for your character) and not other players.