Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Cartography has arrived. Grab your paint brushes and ready your stamps!

Movement of horses and carts is horrible.

I'd rather take the old smelting times for iron back than such a kind of crap.

Which twisted, bored mind had the idea to mess this up in the first place?

Could you please live out your sadism in real life, not in wurm?

Question to the devs, when do areas reset for getting decent skillgain while doing cartography surveys?

Currently if you keep doing surveys in 1 area, your skill tick magnitude goes down by about 1000%, from 0.2 for example to 0.02.

Do these areas reset after a few days or a server maintenance ?

38 minutes ago, elentari said:

Question to the devs, when do areas reset for getting decent skillgain while doing cartography surveys?

Currently if you keep doing surveys in 1 area, your skill tick magnitude goes down by about 1000%, from 0.2 for example to 0.02.

Do these areas reset after a few days or a server maintenance ?

They're tracked per character, and get back to "normal" gains for the time spent after a month (normal in this case is the usual skill ticks you'd get based on action time like other skills). Between 1 and 2 months time that multiplier will continue building up to the same value you get from the first survey recorded in that area (which gives more skill per action time than "normal"). On top of this is an additional modifier for how far from the 'best' tile you are when continuing the survey (which you can get some info from hovering the indicators).

TL:DR: Best time between surveying the same area for maximum gains is 2 months, when repeating the area less than one month apart you'll gain less than the normal skillgain rate.

• Like 1

• Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

This change feels really horrible, I hope this gets reverted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Budda said:

They're tracked per character, and get back to "normal" gains for the time spent after a month (normal in this case is the usual skill ticks you'd get based on action time like other skills). Between 1 and 2 months time that multiplier will continue building up to the same value you get from the first survey recorded in that area (which gives more skill per action time than "normal"). On top of this is an additional modifier for how far from the 'best' tile you are when continuing the survey (which you can get some info from hovering the indicators).

TL:DR: Best time between surveying the same area for maximum gains is 2 months, when repeating the area less than one month apart you'll gain less than the normal skillgain rate.

Just to be sure, are we talking IRL months here or Wurm Time?

1 hour ago, Chromega said:

Just to be sure, are we talking IRL months here or Wurm Time?

IRL

9 hours ago, Budda said:

Thank you for the info!

This little tidbit should probably be added to the wurmpedia so people understand how to skill it.

• Like 1

It seems like the skillgain from improving a finished survey is really low. Is this because it's counted as surveying an area you've already done?

Correct @Sheffie. You've basically a limited amount of skill ticks per area for surveying / improving a survey. THen you have to relocate to a different area.

am I supposed to be able to use any item to improve a survey or just the dioptra cause I just used a 1ql rare butchering knife, AND got skill from it.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

12 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

am I supposed to be able to use any item to improve a survey or just the dioptra cause I just used a 1ql rare butchering knife, AND got skill from it.

I noticed it too. I had a hotkey assigned for filming. but I dug in after the battle of the troll and the shovel remained active. clicked on the note to make changes and the strip went.

Probably gonna be a black sheep, but I do not feel at all the need to have this skill, in game where people used to navigate without maps and generally had server map carved in their heads.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Probably gonna be a black sheep, but I do not feel at all the need to have this skill, in game where people used to navigate without maps and generally had server map carved in their heads.

same.. hopefully there's some distant or not so.. revelation why this is content at all..

besides the few random 5 people screaming "we need CARTOGRAPHYY!!!!!!!11!!111!" in forums, and nothing else to it... so far we now have cartography.. and nothing else.. no depth to this content, not even hinted use.. (maybe we needed something worse than fishing or tracking)

I can only speculate about future builds upon this content.. but current hanged low to "better" ql maps.. seem completely useless besides sentimental value to hang a small image of your first, last, random favorite deed, place ingame and depiction of it as map crop with huge odd borders.... (recall paintings... huge useless space on the borders... but when framed.. since they are pointless -  empty space borders are cropped... we never get rid of these things with current maps once hanged? huh?)

I remain curious what was the idea for all this.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

That's usually fine, not all players need all skills. As long as a fair number of players enjoy making cartography maps it's still a worthwhile addition to the game I'd say.

15 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

That's usually fine, not all players need all skills. As long as a fair number of players enjoy making cartography maps it's still a worthwhile addition to the game I'd say.

I have already made the first sketches. I want to repeat on the 50th skill and hang it next to me. BUT I do not see maps hung on the wall. just pieces of paper hanging without drawings of paints ....

1 hour ago, FreeLikeTheWind said:

I have already made the first sketches. I want to repeat on the 50th skill and hang it next to me. BUT I do not see maps hung on the wall. just pieces of paper hanging without drawings of paints ....

On steam client it wont render for me too, however non steam client seems to be fine

9 minutes ago, Mantas said:

On steam client it wont render for me too, however non steam client seems to be fine

Thank you for the info about where it was working and not that is very helpful, we have been looking into this one and hope to have a fix for it when we can.

• Like 2

I cannot get maps on the wall to show graphics on standalone client. It feels like there's still uncertainty on what enables people to see armour rarity on non headwear stuff and these map graphics. Maybe we could add "enables you to see armour rarity on player models and map graphics" on the settings page "?" box? Even if every setting is meant to show map graphics when they're on the wall, it'd still be helpful for the armour rarity stuff.

• Like 1

Cartography is neat, do quite like it. Just some thoughts after doing a map...

• Ink pots are neat but I'd like to see them given a bit more capacity just for comforts sake, if you want to go out and do multiple areas. Rather than carrying a barrel full of dye, maybe QL can increase the amount of dye it can hold? Gives us a nice reason to improve them and makes things a bit more comfortable.
  • If we need to step away from the PC, rather than having the start point and next area being separate actions that take time, can we have them as one command? Just add another icon to the compass at the top, sort of like a clock. Keep the icon for the next area, and maybe just an arrow below it to show the location of the range pole currently.

Also the next point to survey took me right next to the range pole, which I had placed on an active highway catseye. Facing towards the range pole just gave me the message I need to face towards it to do the action. Facing to the right of it, directly south, made it work. Not sure if that's something that can even be fixed, just a heads up.