Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Cartography has arrived. Grab your paint brushes and ready your stamps!

7 minutes ago, Synjor said:

So, now that this has been properly implemented...

• Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

What was the reason for the change to begin with? Horses feel really, really bad now.

I have the opposite experience, they feel incredibly more responsive, what speed are you going at? 

27 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I have the opposite experience, they feel incredibly more responsive, what speed are you going at? 

I mean, the change is literally less responsive than what it used to be as it takes longer to perform a turn. It's very odd to have to advance forward an entire tile length just to turn 90 degrees.

We'll get used to it whether we like it or hate it, but it'd be nice to know why it's been changed in the first place. Could've at least made it a middling speed to not throw things off so much.

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Synjor said:

So, now that this has been properly implemented...

• Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

What was the reason for the change to begin with? Horses feel really, really bad now.

Yes indeed. The talk has been QOL changes, and then this change is made. Something that has an effect on every player in the game, as every person uses a mount or land vehicle. We should not have to stop to make a 90 degree turn. This is NOT QOL, this is game breaking for many of us who travel long distances on a regular basis, 12512 km traveled so far. This change is not going to encourage anyone to leave the deed to go "explore" anything.

• Like 1

Is there any information on how this new skill will work w/ affinities. How can I test to find out how this new skill affinity will line up w/ the other 138 skills?

Cartography

19 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

Is there any information on how this new skill will work w/ affinities. How can I test to find out how this new skill affinity will line up w/ the other 138 skills?

Cartography

Ballistae has been replaced with Cartography

RIP Ballistae :( and rip everyone who had skill in it :(

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 1

Just now, TeeeBOMB said:

Cartography

The ballistae skill was removed, with cartography taking its place in terms of food affinities.

• Like 1

Regarding vehicle/mount turning: I've made some more tweaks to it on test that should make it feel a bit more responsive than currently. I think the issue is a bit two-fold between fixing a bug with reduced speed while turning and the minimum turning degrees and ramp-up of turning speed is a bit slow. I've tweaked that minimum and ramp-up a little bit, and made it more responsive for turning while already moving forward - but it will still take a bit of getting used to since the speed no longer reduces when turning.

• Like 3

Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

personally think this was a bad idea and that it should be returned to what it used to be.
dunno who thought about changing it but this needs fixed or undone. hopefully yall can do something about that shortly its not fun at all. ill be taking a vacation until something about horses are done. happy wurming.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Budda said:

I've tweaked that minimum and ramp-up a little bit, and made it more responsive for turning while already moving forward - but it will still take a bit of getting used to since the speed no longer reduces when turning.

I quite like this change - it makes it much easier to align mounts when moving down straight roads. However, maybe it should be the other way around - it would make more sense to me that turning speed ramps up faster when you're already stationary, making it easier to e.g. maneuver on the spot with a mount. As it stands, it's really annoying to make small tight corners with a static or slow-moving cart, when I think it ought to be the other way around.

This would also be more like the behaviour of a real vehicle or mount: you can't turn a car quickly when moving at a high speed without crashing, but can do tight maneuvers on the spot when already stationary.

45 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

I quite like this change - it makes it much easier to align mounts when moving down straight roads. However, maybe it should be the other way around - it would make more sense to me that turning speed ramps up faster when you're already stationary, making it easier to e.g. maneuver on the spot with a mount. As it stands, it's really annoying to make small tight corners with a static or slow-moving cart, when I think it ought to be the other way around.

This would also be more like the behaviour of a real vehicle or mount: you can't turn a car quickly when moving at a high speed without crashing, but can do tight maneuvers on the spot when already stationary.

In general this would be fine if it were real life, however so much deed design and highway design around deeds have many 90 degree turns, often in very tight spots with walls or fences. This new change now requires a stop, at least at full speed. My cart goes 46 km/h and I have to come to a complete stop just to turn 90 degrees now, back up a little and then keep going. It is NOT fun at all.

• Like 1

Thank you for making those videos for better understanding.

Excited to the new skill and the new style of creating a community map.

• Like 1

Did mail cost for papyrus change?
Just paid 1s for 100 papyrus :S 1c each now

Was blanks, so no problem :)

Edited by RealCoffee
Was blanks, so no problem :)

1 hour ago, RealCoffee said:

Did mail cost for papyrus change?
Just paid 1s for 100 papyrus :S 1c each now

Was your papyrus blank?  If so, it's treated as an ordinary raw materials for mailing costs, which is 1c each.

Messages (paper of either sort with a message written on it) is 1 iron each.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Budda said:

Regarding vehicle/mount turning: I've made some more tweaks to it on test that should make it feel a bit more responsive than currently. I think the issue is a bit two-fold between fixing a bug with reduced speed while turning and the minimum turning degrees and ramp-up of turning speed is a bit slow. I've tweaked that minimum and ramp-up a little bit, and made it more responsive for turning while already moving forward - but it will still take a bit of getting used to since the speed no longer reduces when turning.

If I remember right there's no server downtime or anything for when this can be changed, right? If so, it'd be worth dropping a message in GL/on the forum to say "hey the change is live now" or maybe just making a feedback thread to condense the complaints/compliments

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

If I remember right there's no server downtime or anything for when this can be changed, right? If so, it'd be worth dropping a message in GL/on the forum to say "hey the change is live now" or maybe just making a feedback thread to condense the complaints/compliments

My fault for not having it actually go in when we announced it, we have made some tweaks to it on the test server we plan to put live Tuesday tho and will have an additional patch note for it then. My apology for the confusion here we will get another note out on Tuesday about it along with some tweaks to it from feedback.

• Like 1

Starting second survey in the same or adjacent/nearby area reduces skill gain by about 10 times. Is this intended behavior?

I need to move quite far to get decent skill gain again

• Like 1

I'm also a little annoyed the location orb always fades out before i reach it if i can see it or not. it's annoying I want the orb to stay there at least until i can get on it's tile. (preferribly just staying lit a good 3-4 minutes in full instead of fading when you're at the spot)

Edited by Blacklotus

10 hours ago, Mantas said:

Starting second survey in the same or adjacent/nearby area reduces skill gain by about 10 times. Is this intended behavior?

I need to move quite far to get decent skill gain again

Yes this is intended. The first survey that your character does of an area will always give full gains, after that re-surveying that area will be less gains depending on how long ago you surveyed there. For full skill-gain it's expected that you'll survey a new area each time (about 80 tiles between centre locations of each survey, so there's little overlap) or only re-surveying the same area every few months. There is more info being gathered on the Wurmpedia about these deeper mechanics that we hope to have up soon.

5 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

I'm also a little annoyed the location orb always fades out before i reach it if i can see it or not. it's annoying I want the orb to stay there at least until i can get on it's tile. (preferribly just staying lit a good 3-4 minutes in full instead of fading when you're at the spot)

There is a setting under the UI tab that changes how far from the location they start to fade out.

H6YElyw.png

• Like 2

The cartography table is very fancy! And I love the option to put maps on walls.

I really hope the "tilted" bug on maps gets fixed quickly.

Something I kind of missed was any kind of indication for the number of "improve" surveys I had done. Would it make sense to add it to Examine info?

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2022 at 7:27 AM, gnomegates said:

It is NOT fun at all.

I'm going to have to agree w/ Gnomegates on this one, concerning vehicles/mounts not making 90 degree turns smoothly any more.

This should get more killed, for those riding off willie nilie trying to escape certain death an ornery mob - the rider/driver gots to come to a complete stop at each 90 turn. Yap. Uh huh. Right.

-1 on this portion of this update.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:10 AM, Shinso said:

Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

personally think this was a bad idea and that it should be returned to what it used to be.
dunno who thought about changing it but this needs fixed or undone. hopefully yall can do something about that shortly its not fun at all. ill be taking a vacation until something about horses are done. happy wurming.

+1   Agree...  Have spent 10 years with a driving technique that gets me around corners safely with out having to back up whilst being chased by trolls

Leave driving the way it is.  Wurm is susposed to be tougher then MineCraft, not easier then it.

Also Horses do not appreciate Lead Foot drivers. (grin). and they do not belch smoke like an articulated Lorry unless someone put burritos and fried eggs in their feed.  (innocent look).

Cheers, Hugh

18 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

I move in the directions it says and if faded out i right lick the paper and choose find survey location to see it again

18 hours ago, Budda said:

Yes this is intended. The first survey that your character does of an area will always give full gains, after that re-surveying that area will be less gains depending on how long ago you surveyed there. For full skill-gain it's expected that you'll survey a new area each time (about 80 tiles between centre locations of each survey, so there's little overlap) or only re-surveying the same area every few months. There is more info being gathered on the Wurmpedia about these deeper mechanics that we hope to have up soon.

That's awesome to know, I sincerely wish there was a note/message when starting a survey something to the effect "this area looks familiar, have you surveyed here recently?" or something to indicate you gain significantly less skill from an area. Also thanks for the info on the settings, will adjust :)

• Like 4