Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Cartography has arrived. Grab your paint brushes and ready your stamps!

Cartography

Exploration Update Feature

carto_doc_header.png

Cartography is a new skill that allows players to create maps of the land around them. Creating a map is started by creating a survey of the land you would like a map of, then using a completed survey on a cartography table to create the map. 

Once created, a map can then be combined with other maps, stamped with additional information and icons, copied for trading/distribution, added to an atlas, or displayed in-world as a decoration.

There is a new journal available to everyone on login that will guide you though getting started and reward you with some helpful items on your mapping adventures. Once you hit level 10 Cartography you will unlock a second journal walking you through the creation and use of stamps. 

Surveying

The first step in creating a map is surveying the land, which can be started by using a blank paper or papyrus sheet on a placed range pole. The range pole will mark the center of the surveyed area, and a series of actions using a dioptra on the survey will have you explore the area around the range pole to collect information about the land and improve the quality of the survey.

Creating & Copying Maps

Creation and copying of maps make use of the new Cartography Table and a few items that it can hold. As long as the table contains an ink brush, a blank map, and an ink pot containing ink or dye, using a survey on the table will let you start the Create Map action. If instead of a survey a painted map is used on the table, the Copy Map action will be available instead.

Creating a map will consume the survey and both actions will use some of the ink or dye, and slightly damage the ink brush. At the end of the action, a new painted or copied map will be created. Although a painted map can later be combined with other maps and copied, copying will only work on original maps and you cannot make copies of copies.

map_room.png

Combining Maps

For creating maps of larger areas, the Cartography Table can be used to combine multiple maps into a single map. The combining window will let you move and resize maps to set them as you see fit before merging the maps into a single map.

Stamps

After a map has been created, stamps are used to add more information to the map - with both basic stamps just containing an icon and gemmed stamps that store extra information with the stamp depending on the type of gem used.

Hovering over a stamp made with a gemmed stamp can show you information about villages, guard towers and mission structures, timed events, basic annotations, and even apply a hyperlink between maps or the world map - so you can mark a spot on the world map that your map relates to.

annotation_stamp.png

Other Changes

• Ink pots will now act as a backup source for any reed pen action.
  • Chess boards will now remember the positions of pieces and which turn it is between server transfers and resets.
  • Fix an issue preventing servers from sending out emails.
  • Fixed a font size issue on treasure map text.
  • You can no longer get treasure maps on the haven tutorial server
  • Like 33

I'm really excited for this! Especially having just founded a deed recently, it will be really cool to have an in-game history of it. Thank you for the video tutorials too!

37 minutes ago, Darklords said:
  • Chess boards will now remember the positions of pieces and which turn it is between server transfers and resets.

Given that chess boards now remember game history, this opens up a lot of other potential fixes/additions. There are still quite a lot of bugs with the chess sets in-game. The bugs I can remember of off the top of my head are...

• Board is set up wrong (king and queen are the wrong way around & board is oriented wrong; the bottom-right square for either player should always be white, and the queen should always start on a square that matches its colour)
  • Castling not possible (special move that requires king and rook to have not moved previously; enabled by piece memory)
  • En passant not possible (special pawn move)

Finally, if you feel like doing a few more small and easy to add QoL changes for chess boards, ranging from event messages every time there's a move to a way to extract game history, I summarised some in a thread after playing at an impalong:

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 7

Will you need multiple colors of ink/dye to make a detailed map (like shown in the screens and tutorials) or will any color produce a full color map?

Also... can you do cartography on water?

Edited by Jarrett

1 minute ago, Jarrett said:

Will you need multiple colors of ink/dye to make a detailed map (like shown in the screens and tutorials) or will any color produce a full color map?

Also... can you do cartography on water?

The only thing you'll need multiple colors for is if you want to do different colored stamps :)

• Like 4

The graphics pack update went out a little later then intended so you may need to relaunch your client to download that if you where quick to launch a client and seem to be missing the new graphics.

I am so excited for this update!

55 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Ink pots will now act as a backup source for any reed pen action.

This is a very nice update for all the letter writers out there - no more fumbling around remembering which pouch I hid the ink in last time.

55 minutes ago, Darklords said:

There is a new journal available to everyone on login that will guide you though getting started and reward you with some helpful items on your mapping adventures. Once you hit level 10 Cartography you will unlock a second journal walking you through the creation and use of stamps. 

And props again to using the journal as a tutorial system - it's been a great way to bring new players up to speed on the basics of wurm and everyone up to speed on new mechanics when they arrive.  Bravo!

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

I'm really excited for this! Especially having just founded a deed recently, it will be really cool to have an in-game history of it. Thank you for the video tutorials too!

Given that chess boards now remember game history, this opens up a lot of other potential fixes/additions. There are still quite a lot of bugs with the chess sets in-game. The bugs I can remember of off the top of my head are...

• Board is set up wrong (king and queen are the wrong way around & board is oriented wrong; the bottom-right square for either player should always be white, and the queen should always start on a square that matches its colour)
  • Castling not possible (special move that requires king and rook to have not moved previously; enabled by piece memory)

Finally, if you feel like doing a few more small and easy to add QoL changes for chess boards, ranging from event messages every time there's a move to a way to extract game history, I summarised some in a thread after playing at an impalong:

Ya would like to for sure get to issues like that and a few others bugs I've seen during our QOL focused period next year.  So how that change came to be was we added more support for what kinds of data we can store on items and that chess change was more or less us testing it out and felt like we might as well throw it in for everyone vs just discarding it.

• Like 5

as always cool updates. and I'll ask again, Any plans to merge north and south servers soon?  

• Like 1

Fixed in the last reset

• Fix meteors from having a chance to spawn the new holy sites metal.
  • Paint brushes are now improvable.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, validate said:

as always cool updates. and I'll ask again, Any plans to merge north and south servers soon?  

An island in between the 2 clusters with a big market would be nice.

• Like 3

This is an iteresting addition but does doing cartography have an impact on some other skills or some other already existing aspect of the game or it just making maps? 

Edited by Dirt

3 minutes ago, grinnil35 said:

An island in between the 2 clusters with a big market would be nice.

I don’t see that happening anytime soon.  It’s nice to think about, but the implementation and execution would probably be more trouble than it’s worth.  

Let’s keep this Cartographical related.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grinnil35 said:

Edited by Hazelspider
Off topic, sorry
  • Like 1

i would love to make maps of all the islands when do you think we will merge severs so that can happen

• Like 4

This looks very good! I was afraid lol... they would show the players position or something.

Amazing stuff guys.

• Like 1

This looks very good! I was afraid lol... they would show the players position or something.

Amazing stuff guys.

Would you need to solemnly swear you are up to no good?

Edited by Luobo
forgot quote

We seem to have gotten the old style of horse and vehicle turning back during this update so they feel incredibly slow to turn now. Not really nice to have along side a skill that will likely want us travelling all around to try it out.

• Like 2

Yeah can we get a patch to fix this? Horses,carts and wagons all feel like driving a dang semi.

5 minutes ago, Chromega said:

We seem to have gotten the old style of horse and vehicle turning back during this update so they feel incredibly slow to turn now. Not really nice to have along side a skill that will likely want us travelling all around to try it out.

• Like 1

Bug found, was attempting to fill a new ink pot with water to test capacity / put water in there for easy dye making, i found that the water, while being moved from the original container into the steel ink pot, would not actually fill it, but rather would disappear entirely.

6 hours ago, Darklords said:

Cartography

Exploration Update Feature

Surveying

The first step in creating a map is surveying the land, which can be started by using a blank paper or papyrus sheet on a placed range pole. The range pole will mark the center of the surveyed area, and a series of actions using a dioptra on the survey will have you explore the area around the range pole to collect information about the land and improve the quality of the survey.

Gud'evening Darklords,

Thursday, Dec 15th, 2022 at 22:19 GMT

Sorry I was unavailable during the Testing phase.  RL can be demanding at times. (grin).

As someone who was trained in and worked as Surveyor before I switched careers to Paramedic,  I do see a "technical" error but it is okay.....

The theodolite (diaoptra) is always the center of the survey and the range poll (today a laser reflector on a range pole) is moved around the instrument to make readings from the instrument to find the changes in elevation and distance to the range pole.

Today's modern theodolites or Total Stations as they are know enable one person operation.  They are remotely controlled by the Surveyor to find the laser reflector (range pole) and take measurements.

I like the way you have done it, no buts on that score and this is NOT a grumble or growl.

The way you have done it makes it easy for a lay person to understand what they are doing and makes it a one person operation which is current practice.

Two thumbs up from a former Surveyor, a hearty "Well Done" to code writers on the Dev team for an excellent job.

Warmest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy since 2013

Co-Administrator - the Indy Community map since 2016 - the Albia Roads map.

Edited by HughMongus
grammer correction
  • Like 3

Thanks for the update, looks interesting!

Can we please get a fix for the mounts/carts/wagons. I drove a semi truck in real life, and it was easier to turn then then these mounts are! We really should not have to do a 3 point turn to go around a corner!

Happy Wurming!

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Docterchese said:

YES! PLease make the changes/fixes to those three things above ^^^^^

• Like 3

So, now that this has been properly implemented...

• Change: Land vehicles and mounts will now begin turning slower and speed up instead of beginning fast and slowing down.

What was the reason for the change to begin with? Horses feel really, really bad now.

• Like 3