Sign in to follow this  
borel84

Natural substances skilling

What is the best way to get to 85ish 90 at most from about 65ish skill? I am asking because in game I have heard mixed opinions. I am just asking on here before I spend any silver or go harvest a bunch of stuff. Thanks for any tips

One thing that helps with create-only skills is getting coc cast on a part, ideally one you can keep combining with others. Just make sure you activate the enchanted part for combining.

For example, I have a coc'ed troll king tooth that I've been combining with other teeth for quite a few years now. Potency 4 but it's easy to get teeth. The only potency 5 item that doesn't rot in inventory is a unie horn. Can fit smaller teeth in a bok, unlike a unie horn. Granted haven't checked recently. Also unie horns produce heavier covers.

Up to you. Additionally some create skills take difficulty into account, so along with making harder items, you also have to juggle your tool and material ql

Course there's all the other concerns for any skillgain grinding: sleep bonus, food affinities, drink affinities, god bonus, etc.

• Like 1

Depends on what you want back out of it besides skill?

Money back? Concrete
Multiple uses? Transmutation liquid(Can be sold at a pretty penny if high ql and can store different types for different uses and can come in quite handy/sold more often)
Harder but more skill? Black dye(involves making tannin from acorn and water then tannin and iron ore)
Easiest to mass create? Concrete

Overall Concrete is easiest to make at good skill

Best money return way 
Dig 16000 clay(1x bsb)
Dig 800 sand(3x crate)
Make 16000 mortar(1x bsb)
Make/buy 32000 ash(2x bsb) (this can vary greatly this can be a several hundred charcoal piles to lots of ovens/forges left burning for 30 min before emptying to just buying it from someone)
Make 32000 lye(This can be done at 45kg at a time with a small barrel and 4.5kg of ash(45 pieces) so this really is not that hard only 712 actions assuming no failures)
Combine 32000 lye and 16000 mortar
Make 10666 concrete assuming no failures

Total ingredient list
16000 clay(1x bsb)
800 sand(3 x crate)
32000 ash(2x bsb)
29 fountains of water/lye worth of storage if storing it all 

If you have the acorns go the black dye route if not go concrete

• Like 3

Thanks and I know the power of the healing cover is the difficulty in the skill grinder do you know or how can you tell what the difficulty is for dyes? So I can get a better QL of materials.

7 minutes ago, borel84 said:

Thanks and I know the power of the healing cover is the difficulty in the skill grinder do you know or how can you tell what the difficulty is for dyes? So I can get a better QL of materials.

"lye"  3.0
 "candle"  1.0
 "black ink"  20.0
 "black dye"  40.0
 "white dye"  20.0
 "green dye"  10.0
 "red dye"  30.0
 "blue dye"  15.0
 "tannin"  40.0
 "farmer's salve"  5.0
 "concrete"  25.0
 "sapphire staff"  10.0
 "diamond staff"  10.0
 "opal staff"  10.0
 "ruby staff"  10.0
 "emerald staff"  10.0

Here you go these are the value's that I got stored in 1 of my numerous spreadsheets from random info collected over the years hope these will help

• Like 2

10 hours ago, borel84 said:

What is the best way to get to 85ish 90 at most from about 65ish skill? I am asking because in game I have heard mixed opinions. I am just asking on here before I spend any silver or go harvest a bunch of stuff. Thanks for any tips

You want to do either transmutation liquids or healing covers. Both of those are not subject to the 1/3 skill of other creation actions. Both of these you can also use CoC; either on the juice or the animal part.

Healing covers, the potency is the difficulty.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_cover

Transmutation liquids are all over the place:

Moss to tundra 5

Steppe to tar 10

Tundra to dirt 10

Tar to dirt 15

Grass or mycelium to peat 20

Peat to dirt 25

Sand to clay 30
Clay to dirt 35

At 65 natural substances, you may want to use alcohol. The strength of the alcohol is added onto the numbers above as difficulty.

1 hour ago, borel84 said:

Dyes are going to be very inefficient. You will get 1/3 the skill of doing transmutation liquid or healing covers.

• Like 2

Personally I never did healing covers so I'm not 100% sure on that one. But if you do transmutation liquids, you can use grinder like this:

zhmnlDm.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help now to plan what I am going to do. Also I have never used alcohol I take it when you examine it it will say the strength and you just add that number to what you are crafting.

Edited by borel84
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pukaria said:

You want to do either transmutation liquids or healing covers. Both of those are not subject to the 1/3 skill of other creation actions.

Thanks for the information. I did know this about healing covers. Good to know it's the same for transmutation liquid.

15 hours ago, Pukaria said:

At 65 natural substances, you may want to use alcohol. The strength of the alcohol is added onto the numbers above as difficulty.

Does it work for transmutation liquid? Does not seem to work for healing covers.

7 hours ago, borel84 said:

Also I have never used alcohol I take it when you examine it it will say the strength and you just add that number to what you are crafting.

No, you drink the alcohol.

You get a new status effect. examine that to see alcohol power. Drinking more (strong) alcoholic beverage will increase the power.

ZJBHwc3.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 5:33 AM, timowi said:

Does it work for transmutation liquid? Does not seem to work for healing covers.

Alcohol? It works for every "create" action. So by contrast, it does not work for gathering (mining, woodcutting, etc.) or improving items.

The tricky part is that the crafting window will not display the change in your creation chance. So you'd just need to go by average quality.

For example, make 100 healing covers sober, then take a few sips of alcohol and make 100 healing covers. You'll notice the average ql of the ones you made while drunk are lower.

Edited by Pukaria
alcohol doesn't affect healing cover creation

1 minute ago, Pukaria said:

Alcohol? It works for every "create" action. So by contrast

healing cover is completely different code from normal creation code(in WU). Didn't find anything about alcohol in WU healing cover code.

3 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

For example, make 100 healing covers sober, then take a few sips of alcohol and make 100 healing covers. You'll notice the average ql of the ones you made while drunk are lower.

That's what I tried. Not 100 but around 40. I did not get any significant change even with 90 alcohol power.

If you're going the healing cover route, a CoC'ed gland is great.  They're easy to find, and combine up.  Just keep an eye on it so you don't run out and use the last bit...

If you can find someone who has been grinding foraging, they'll have a bunch of black mushrooms you can buy.  Otherwise, hearts from FS grinders or hunters are also an easy option.  I recommend grinding next to an altar (bonus points for doing a prayer grind on an alt at the same time), so you have an easy sac outlet to get rid of the huge steaming pile of healing covers.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, timowi said:

healing cover is completely different code from normal creation code(in WU). Didn't find anything about alcohol in WU healing cover code.

That's what I tried. Not 100 but around 40. I did not get any significant change even with 90 alcohol power.

Well, you're right. Like I mentioned earlier, I never did healing covers for skill. So I was making an assumption that alcohol would apply to healing covers. It doesn't!!! lol Very inconsistent.

Thanks for the catch!!

So the best you can do, if you want to do healing covers, is use low ql activated item. It's so easy to harvest too high ql; you can lava items to lower the ql if needed.

• Cat 1