Sign in to follow this  
ThatYoungLad

Whats the point of moonmetals?

Moonmetals seems like an uncommon item you get rewarded with, which at first it feels awesome because you can't get them on a day to day basis. However, if you want to craft with them, say a plate armor set or terraforming tools, here comes the issue: you will need tons of the material, in the right ql to not only create and imp, but also reimp after some uses, specially with armor. So whats the use of moonmetal, if the disadvantages are bigger than the advantages? An item just for people who can put lots of money (not that Im against it)?

I hear MM weapons aren't too bad to maintain.  The damage or swing speed boosts are nice. Because of the epic curve you only need to take weapon to 80 or 85 ql. There is a diminishing returns curve that makes those QL's equivalent to high 90's. In this case there is nothing I can do to get more damage or faster swings. There is no substitute for the benefit.

I can see avoiding plate. From what I understand it takes more damage than any other armor. I'd consider MM chain. From what I understand certain pieces of armor don't get hit that often so MM plate helm might work out okay. There is no substitute here for the DR buff, you'd get.

If I was a whale, I'd totally make all my tools from MM. It's cool and has bonuses that will reduce how much time you spend maintaining them. But I"m not so I stick with iron for tools. Extra time and good ql iron is what I need to replicate the benefit of MM tools.

Once upon a time, the creation QL buff for MM anvils was very useful. You take advantage of the fact it will create things of a high ql then the lump. Then, use the smelting pot to melt the crafted item down and get a lump that is high ql then before. But as I said, "Once upon a time". That whole cycle has been thoroughly nerfed.

Let us make part/all of an Altar from moonmetal that we can pick up/load

1 hour ago, Blaike said:

Let us make part/all of an Altar from moonmetal that we can pick up/load

Uh no.  a portable altar has too much potential for abuse

As far as what MM is for, Certain MM tools can be really nice.  An addy stone chisel will make bricks really fast, and MM takes much less damage then normal metals.  Addy is also superior for making weapons, especially really light fast weapons like a sickle, or Glimmer if you really want to increase your swing timer.  And while really expensive, Seryll plate is one of the best armors in the game, and Seryll is much less expensive then Addy or Glimmer

• Like 1

I really like the look of seryll equiptment over all the others plus it doesnt take damage from use as much as say iron or steel

Kordeth Bludscythe, Master Architect of the Shackport Alliance, Shackport E-13 Melody Server

Traipse, Lodge Owner of Fir Retreat, O-18 Independence Server

I like having something harder/more expensive to obtain.. it gives you something to work towards, a motivation.

Theyre not so as OP that not having them makes a huge difference, while still offering a project/goal to those of us that like unique stuff.

In my eyes Moon metal like scale/hide ect adds a upper layer of the economy to work towards...  the trade of moon metals and MM items can only be good for wurms market

3 hours ago, ThatYoungLad said:

Moonmetals seems like an uncommon item you get rewarded with, which at first it feels awesome because you can't get them on a day to day basis. However, if you want to craft with them, say a plate armor set or terraforming tools, here comes the issue: you will need tons of the material, in the right ql to not only create and imp, but also reimp after some uses, specially with armor. So whats the use of moonmetal, if the disadvantages are bigger than the advantages? An item just for people who can put lots of money (not that Im against it)?

Plate sets from seryll is a weird meme I've seen lately but I personally don't see why or the appeal. There's big numbers on their side as far as damage taken and repair cost, but it still just seems like a far bigger investment than I can forsee being worthwhile.

Addy weapons are 10% extra damage to literally anything you fight which is incredible. Joe also mentioned the damage curve means the weapon only needs to be 80QL ish to bring it to the point of diminishing gains. Sickles are the best one hander in the game and they use a tiny amount of lump per imp. There's also the fact that they've got massive boosts to help with damage taken and repairing them. Maintaining an addy weapon is a task you do maybe only a few times a year.

Glimmer is kinda whatever I barely use it other than on my huge axe I made for a laugh.

Seryll I honestly keep for low ql skiller tools like shovel/pickaxe where useage means I'm gonna be constantly recasting them. The fact it wont shatter at all is just so nice for low ql skillers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sinnjinn said:

Every single potential "problem" has a solution.
For example;   altars not on the ground do not spread influence and can't be used like current altars. All you can do with a loaded altar is unload. Area of influence expands progressively outward on a timer. And said timer starts upon unloading the altar.

I don't care much about this actually. It just bothers me when naysayers spout off...
"NO BAD IDEA BECAUSE THAT MIGHT HAVE BUGS/ABUSE/HACKS/EXPLOITS!"
The only time we should be saying no to something is when devs are spending time on content that most players think is "un-fun".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sinnjinn said:

the 80ql unfinished altars i can keep in my pocket and just drop willy nilly all over the place are perfectly fine and balanced though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

the 80ql unfinished altars i can keep in my pocket and just drop willy nilly all over the place are perfectly fine and balanced though

I love you for these btw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I real problem solver you are. I like it.