Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Grey Wurmians - speak up!

On 1/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, validate said:

LOL.  my wife played with me for 2 months. she got good at grinding MMds for us. she quit when she came home and found out i spent them all on armor for both of us. and some higher end weapons.  

a Co-worker I got into playing it.  he was just married. after 3 months he called in to work sick. and then called me. asking about a quest.  I asked him how sick was he.  he told me he wasn't he skill his collage classes too. trying to finish this quest.  one of the weapon quests. glows blue been to long. i know i did it for 3 of my characters.  but i told him he's to addicted .  2 days later called me at work upset. as his wife told him to delete the game. he set it up to uninstall but could not press the button without calling me.  wow.  thats when i took a look at my life. and kept on gaming till this day and beyond....lol  

last week i installed the game again too and jumped in for an hour.  I so miss it.  oh and my cell phone ring tone is the portal call ..  drives my wife nuts.  and right now and most evenings i ware this shirt i got custom made.  olthoi on the front. and portal graphics from AC 2 i think on the back.  found the pics i had online of it. hope it posts

19477623_10155537854207112_921456261757319621289_10155537853677112_2815636308930

This is pretty epic!  I was one of the few that really enjoyed AC2.  I can still clearly hear the burun shouting "alert the clutch!"  I tried AC1 again a couple months ago.  I loved the sounds.  The game play ok, but graphics were tough to get back into.  I wish they would get the AC2 emulator up and running.  On NFI, Olthoi is one of my priests.

45 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

This is pretty epic!  I was one of the few that really enjoyed AC2.  I can still clearly hear the burun shouting "alert the clutch!"  I tried AC1 again a couple months ago.  I loved the sounds.  The game play ok, but graphics were tough to get back into.  I wish they would get the AC2 emulator up and running.  On NFI, Olthoi is one of my priests.

lol Asheron is my Fo priest. many deeds i names from AC , currently on SFI  Holtburg my deed. so many memories.  i wish they would reboot games like that. we never had a TLP type server. start from the beginning.  randomly placing the spell mats to try to learn a new spell. pyreals had weight had to buy notes often.   Arwic  sub was the buying and selling place.  died many times making that jump until i learned bludgeon protection will help i think it was.    AC2 i played beta  i found the game empty after release was to hard to leave AC1 for me.  but there was and maybe still an emu of AC2 still.  i tried one about a year after they shut down all ACs.   I want to still get a tattoo of one of the ac2 Olthoi's  i have it printed out from a photo shop so good quality. but been chicken to do it. that and the cost 300-500$ they said.    someone even made a RPG paper play book for AC.  looks fun. not finished yet though.

Pretty sure I can be considered a grey Wurmian. I’ve been wandering these lands since 2010, on Indy, Exodus, Indy again, Xan, Indy yet again, and now I’ve been on Harmony since the day it opened. Hopefully my moving days are finally done and I’m settled - but ya never know! I love Wurm for the true sandbox nature of the game. Not a PVPer but its perfect for terraforming, building things, exploration, breeding animals, all the sort of agrarian lifestyle things that most of us don’t get to do IRL. I also love the slower pace - I can AFK when I need to for whatever reason, I can take a break from the game for days/weeks/months when I need to, and yet Wurm is always waiting. (I know, I know).

I also love that you see the same names floating around the community over the years. Even with moving to Harmony and starting over with a new name, I’ve run into people that I’ve known from SFI, and its always fun to figure out who is who and reminisce about those early years. Sure, every online community has their bad eggs, but by and large most of the wurm community are good folks and are eager to help others out. We were all a newbie at one time, and we pay it forward.

IRL I’m 42 and getting those grey hairs. I remember computing back in the commodore 64 days, writing lines and lines of basic code to play the most rudimentary games. Getting my first PC with games on CD, learning HTML so I could set up a Geocities webpage, and the start of MMO gaming. I’ve played tons of MMOs over the years, and even though I enjoy some of the current new and hot games, Wurm still has a special place in my heart and always will.

• Like 5

I first started in 2008 or 2009. I was introduced by a friend at the time and found Wurm to be very mysterious and intriguing. I remember I lived with Elwood at his place on Jenn-Kellon Home.

I was probably 11 years old and I'm 25 now. I didn't get into it much at the time because I was a kid with no income and my parents had an aversion to buying anything through the internet, so no premium or any currency. On top of that, the same "friend" was kind of a bully to me.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:19 AM, TheTrickster said:

So, if you have been around since before the internet... 

Are we still within the OP's scope? 😉

At 52 I just came back after a break. Started all over with new toons. Surprisingly found many old friends still playing and am having a great time. We change as we get older. Prioritys change and we move on to other things.

Born in 1970. First learned to program in BASIC on a TRS-80. first played "Advanced" D&D in 1982. 

Started Wurm in, I believe, 2008. Stopped playing for a year or two twice but always came back.  It's a great game and as others have pointed out, there's always something to do.  

• Like 2

I have been around since crooked houses and we where green people standing on horses. Wurm remains beautiful to me. The freedom to pursue any interest  along with the most important part, social is what keeps me coming back year after year. By now i have friends I have played with over a decade. We have been there through birth life and death for each other. This is a big part of the Wurm magic for me. We may drift to other servers, vanish to rl for a year or three but so many find their way back, it is always wonderful to see old friends and faces. 

• Like 5

I will have to have decayed far past this current point to no longer be able to play a game. That being said, my concern is not that I will be too old to play wurm, but that I will outlast it. There isn't another game like this out there. I was close enough to 50 when I started to really not be concerned how old I am. It makes me sad when anyone leaves, for any reason, but such is life. Life is infused with nostalgia. What makes this game so different is the extent to which each player had a hand in making this world. The game would have to change considerably for me to not feel grateful to be here in it. 

• Like 4

On 1/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, Yaga said:

Are we still within the OP's scope? 😉

I would say the thread has grown as it has aged  :)

I did mean for people older than a certain actual age to share, just to show how many of us there are and why we stick around.  But those who share having been here on Wurm for a long term are also sharing something valuable, and it is welcome as far as I am concerned.  

I admittedly don't play much WO at all currently, for reasons not directly related tot he game itself.  I am quite active in Unlimited though, and to me that is Wurm just as much as Online is Wurm.  Arguably, moreso, but that is a whole other thread.

• Like 1

I maybe a bit grey and being a lady will not discuss my age anymore than that...

I think I can boast about being one of Wurm's oldest and longest playing er players and frequently do, just to be able to call you all noobs...:P

[11:47:06] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Tears, week 3 of the starfall of Diamonds, 980. That's 5738 days, 22 hours and 10 minutes ago.

I started playing during wurm beta in 2003, while pregnant with my eldest son, and even went into labour while playing!

I do a lot of beta testing and am tempted away on occasion by new and shiny games..and old games..any game really...ohh shiny...

It is a game I always come back to, there is nothing else quite like it, love it.

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Hailiah said:

I maybe a bit grey and being a lady will not discuss my age anymore than that...

Lemme guess..... 🤔

You're 25-and-a-bit y/o?

As for myself,

Old enough to have watched the first moon landing (from the craddle). Been into games from about 1991. Eventually found Life is Feudal: Your Own, played that with a friend and a friend of his; both invited me to try Wurm for a bit. So I did.

Started 7-8 years ago as a citizen at their deed at Xan, founded my own one two weeks later and still have it. Both of then left for different reasons within 2 years after I got in.

Not that much into Wurm lately, as last year has been a rough Wurm year for me. Still intending to return some day to finish the work I've started at my second Xan deed.

Thorin :)

• Like 3

I only begun to grey on my hair and beard... enough that I am past ppl constantly mentioning it to me.

Wurm feels the same form me, I played enough to get past the point to feel like its weird I am playing it.

• Like 1

50+ and loving it ,cant wait for 60 baby !! wurm on ! all natural and good old fashion working your @ss off and playing wurm around 12 years now off and on.

xklz7uK.jpg

Edited by Tigerclaw
  • Like 1

While born back in -61 I got my first (sort of) computer in early 90s (Atari 1040) I went online in -94. Been a gamer since then.

Even if I am now going on 62 years I still am not grey, hoping for white, but the few strands does not show yet what color it will be. I'm still my usual gold blond.
(It's not like people get old anymore, I mean: look at Rolling Stones!)

I started playing on the day of the 1.1 server update back in 2013, wish I had come here sooner, specially since I'm a swede, just like this game.

I'll prolly play Wurm till the day I die. I do have WU also, thankfully, should something happen to WO! :)

• Like 3

While I honestly don't think i belong in this thread, i suppose i qualify, barely - actual grey hairs in my facial fur, and im in my early-mid 40's. (NGL, if i had the resources id get all my facial fur removed)

Started sometime in 2015, and for a while there i was back and forth between many games - "Oh, Shiny" would have been an understatement - before Wurm it was Wow, STO, SWTOR for my mmo's. i know i tried Runescape back in the early 00's, though i dont remember my username there, or toon name. 

My first 'experience' with a computer was in school, was in 6th grade when i played this music game at school one day....i was so engrossed that i never noticed that the end of the school day had come and gone. by the time i had regulated enough to notice the time, it was well after 5pm. Ya, my stepdad had a 286, but we(sibs and i) were never allowed to just play what ever. 6? years later i ended up with a 286 of my own.

I'm sure most of the rest of you know that I 'discovered' myself a few years ago, and as a result ive started to focus on those things that help me function IRL -  I will probably play Wurm till the day I die. Not a bad thing imho.

Wurm joke

Q  When someone calls you a truly 'decent' human being - what do they mean?  

A  It just means you are over 30. 😜 

Edited by Muse

On 1/24/2023 at 7:06 PM, Zephyr40k said:

Born in 1970. First learned to program in BASIC on a TRS-80. first played "Advanced" D&D in 1982. 

Started Wurm in, I believe, 2008. Stopped playing for a year or two twice but always came back.  It's a great game and as others have pointed out, there's always something to do.  

'69 here, I had a C64, and different friends had TRS-80, ZX80 (then a Spectrum), Acorn Electron.  The guy with the Sinclairs was writing fancy graphics stuff for our school Apple II machines.  He also wrote a voice synthesizer that turned typed text into speech (back in '82 or '83 when he was about 12 or 13).  

My first computerized RPG was Zork.  My first co-op game was Elite (my mate flew while I was nav and weapons - on the same keyboard).    I remember mail-order shareware on floppy disks fondly.  I still have the disks!  

I have grey-to-silver hair, and lots of it.  Not very wrinkly because I have found the solution to sagging skin - just keep getting fatter.

Wurm was my "cabin in the woods".  Somewhere to go and just potter and enjoy creating and exploring.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, Rudie said:

We remember you both.  Though nero this post is, we find if fitting, since dead are all of we, and dead is our beloved king.  Hail to the forgotten heroes of Jen-Kellon, and hail to our great king, who has passed on and left us.   

Good to see you still frequent these parts.

I remember that you were one of the few I died to when they first opened the home server to wild server raiders.

Fun times.

If I still had my old char my portal time would be similar, if not the same. Started getting grey irl, but definitely grey in Wurm. 17 years and counting.

I'm from '66. Played on my mates' Apple ][c, ZX 80, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64. Bought my first PC in 1990-ish. 
Happy to say my hair is still blond, but my beard is very grey ^^

Been playing Wurm since 2008 (IIRC) for about 4 months per year but went throught several toons until settling on Myriad. I think I have been on all PvE servers, but I keep coming back to Xan, that fits my playing style (11x11 deed, secluded) nicely. These days I watch others play on Twitch and have to say: if I ever change my mind and want to have a huge deed, I might move to a flatter server. Despite what it looks like on the community maps, there seems to be a lot space there. 

• Like 3

Slow-paced, play the way you want, this game offers all playstyles imo. Take a break, come back, be engaged, or not engaged. It's up to you. I remember dial up and DragonLance floppies. Unregulated chat rooms as a freshman in HS. Pit Fall. The first Metroid. No cell phones. ugh dating myself here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Verotika said:

and DragonLance floppies.

Back then i read those novels with a dictionary beside me, because i just started to learn english in school (little did i knew that they was aviable in my native language as well) so those games felt amazing to play.

The Bards Tale was the first of this kind i played on my C-64.

Good old times, never to come back.

But Wurm is waiting.

Greetings,

I am over 40 years of age, my families first computer was an IBM Clone 80086 with a monochrome monitor and an AT style keyboard. I watched as graphics cards, processors and the like developed over the years. As pagers turned into Nokia's, flip phones, slide phones, and smart phones. The earliest games were single executables a rip off of Star Trek, and a Stock Market emulator. Followed in History by Duke Nukem, Quake, and Wolfenstein, among others. My first and longest MMO before Wurm was Dark Age of Camelot, until Mystic was bought and in my opinion ruined by EA. Though I did at some point Try original WoW as well. I lived through Dialup, AOL, Geocities, Napster, Kazaa, The Pirate Bay, and Online Chat groups.

I have played Wurm for 12 years starting in the days of Independence, and Chaos where I met Lancelot among others. I died my first day swimming twice, founded a deed on Independence, moved to Xanadu near Summerholt, joined NEXA, Left NEXA, Joined NEXA, where I met too many friends to name I have been on Xanadu since. I have taken several long breaks and quit at least twice once for over a year thanks to the misconduct of someone who will not be named here. I keep coming back for that something that Wurm has other games do not despite the money pit that it is.  Since I started Wurm I have been married, divorced, had children, completed a degree program, been through multiple positions at work, and three Presidents.

Older than some, not as old as others, to young to retire from Wurm yet.

Edited by Huserx
Cant spell for sh..