Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Grey Wurmians - speak up!

Given Lancelot's farewell expressed the concept of being too old for this, and given the response from many, I thought it good to invite the older amongst us to speak up and share Wurm from the perspective of *ahem* long experience.

So, if you have been around since before the internet, what is it about Wurm that you value and enjoy?

• Like 2

2005 I started, quit twice, keep coming back for how in-depth this game is, and the community is the best by miles 😀

Forgot to add, the amazing dev team

Edited by Zerobyte
Update
  • Like 6
  • Cat 1

First coding was on punch cards.  First internet use was ARPANET.  First gaming besides cards and board games was war gaming.  First RPG was the Dungeons and Dragons box set. Bought my first personal computer in 1977. 

I enjoy that there is always something to do in Wurm. That anyone can do anything, but no one 'must' do any of it. That one 'can' specialize in something, but another can just do 'enough' of everything if that is what they choose. 

And that it isn't practical - or necessary -  to master everything.

• Like 10

Plays donkey sounds when I stab such. : /

..wait is there age requirement to be here

• Like 3

Started in Dec 2013   Apart from a 3 month gap (not my fault) Been here ever since.

I just love the game and the community. 

• Like 3

I understand the concept of life being so full that finding a space for Wurm is a problem. But being too old...

• Like 3

I taught for 40 years. When our school started to buy 'proper' computers rather than BBC 'A' and 'B' (The Hobbit), one of the children in my form class told me about a game that he loved playing. This was RuneScape. Other children also played so I set up a lunchtime RuneScape club. I really enjoyed playing the game myself but started to look around for 'similar' games and came up with Wurm. To start with, I could not get the game to work but thankfully persevered and have loved the World of Wurm ever since.  

I have had the pleasure of 'meeting' some great people in-game and they really kept me going in the early days. Sadly, these folks have largely moved on but I remain motivated to stay with Wurm simply pottering around and enjoying being the creative person in Wurm that I simply am not in real life!

I have tried other games such as Lord of the Rings Online but have never left Wurm. I have no real desire to raise specific stats or be the best at this or that- maybe that is why my loyalty to Wurm remains? 

The efforts of our development team and all the volunteer staff have been fantastic since I started to play and I would go as far as saying that they actually create some form of loyalty between me (the player) and Wurm (the game).

Some of the community help here and elsewhere is simply second-to-none and I think Wurm is fortunate that on the whole our community is a massive bonus when it comes to attracting and holding onto new players. Some players must spend their entire game-time helping others in CA with the same questions that they answer almost every single day- for that I think we must all say many thanks, because they are yet another reason why Wurm is such a wonderful experience.

Now retired, I can see family and friends, travel, walk, garden, do any hobby that takes my interest but I always come back to Wurm for a couple of hours whenever possible.

Are you ever too old to play Wurm? In my opinion, absolutely no and in many ways, I think older players are actually more suited to the game (sorry young-uns!) because you can actually think before doing anything or simply move at a slower pace rather than clicking so fast that your mouse heats up. As I stated in another post, I only wish that I had found Wurm earlier and that my mouse continues clicking for another few decades!

• Like 13

I started in 2013. Fell in love with the game right away. It was magical... a pure sandbox where I could carve out my own adventures. Not to mention that this is the type of a game I had been looking for some time back then. I even started playing WoW shortly after its launch, thinking it would be like Wurm. But as we know, it's nothing like that :) I still enjoyed my time in WoW, but once I found Wurm - that was it. That was the home I was looking for. I quit all other MMOs just to be here.

I like Wurm for many reasons. First - it's unique. It has a unique feeling and mechanics that are different from most mainstream MOOs. In the age where every MOO is trying to be a clone of one another, in order to snatch the same players away from competition, Wurm is completely different. It carves its own path. The second reason is the pure sandbox element of it. I am one of those weird people who don't mind if activities take a while. I like the value of a skill, if it took me a long time to attain. I also really like how complex the game is. It forces me to think. Most games don't.

And I also love the freedom... claiming land, building what I want, how I want, exploring, having neighbors, etc. I even like that travel takes so long. I like the logistics of going to another server for a few days and the time it takes to visit a friend who has a deed in the middle of Xan. It really feels like travel and the memories of my exploration travels are some of my fondest memories of this game that are with me to this day.

Finally two more things. First is the fact that over the years, the developers stayed true to the unique feel and mechanics of Wurm. The game evolves, but it never tries to mimic another game. It keeps to its style, feel and rhythm. The fact that the devs have stayed true to that over the years is a huge reason why I love Wurm now as much as I loved it when I first got here.

The second is that unlike many other MMOs, I can play on my own schedule. If I have time, I play a lot. When I don't, I can go away for a month or two and if I paid my deed bills, everything is there waiting for me. This way, I never feel that the game is forcing me to play in any way. It's a true sandbox - in the way it's designed and in the way it lets me play. Pure zen.

To me, Wurm is a feeling. We just click. Here is to many more years!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 13

2007 for me with a few breaks, some longer than others. What everyone before me has said I totally agree with. Probably the one most treasured thing that hasn't been mentioned is that even today, with our improved tools and a lot of experience, I can still get so totally lost I haven't a clue where I actually am. As annoying as it can be, this is a gift beyond measure since I actually have to think and pay attention.

• Like 5

Oh, one more thing. I absolutely love Wurm for the fact that I get to do many things that I would like to try IRL, but don't have the time, energy, or knowledge to try them for real. I am a city boy at heart, but like everyone out there, I would like to build a shed, plow some land, terraform a lake, etc - if only to see how it feels. In real life, not only would those things take knowledge and effort, but they are also time consuming, tiring, sweaty, and generally difficult.

But in Wurm, I can do it all! True, it's not real in the end, but then again, what is!? Virtual land management is good enough for me. This way, I get to sit comfortably in my gaming room with a cup of coffee on my desk and music in my speakers and try it all without getting tired and dirty. Genius!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 4

On 12/5/2022 at 8:42 PM, Zerobyte said:

2005 I started, quit twice, keep coming back for how in-depth this game is, and the community is the best by miles 😀

Forgot to add, the amazing dev team

old fart!!!

Edited by pacer
  • Like 3

I started in 2009 the game was recommended by a couple of people from World of Tanks [ Father Time and Tiger] .  My first deed was a marsh on a hill with no mine but it was right beside the Legendary Tich who I later found out I had also known from World of Warcraft as Pifa.

I took a break for a few years due to college and health reasons but came back for the people which is what makes Wurm different from any other game I have played.  Other games seasoned players berate and practically drive off new players here they give them weapons, armor, and food so they will stay.

• Like 1

started with the commador vic 20.  on tape drives. before the floppy disc . then the commador 64, then PC's by high school 3.25 floppy disc. Pool of Radiance  first rpg then baldur's gate .  MMO 2000 was Asheron's call 2002 i think was Everquest just before pop expansion. tried wurm online around 2007 . couldn't find iron to make nails for first home after 5 hrs playing   quit.   Got surgery 2009 and while off work 8 weeks. searched for an mmo, and was playing mine craft someone said notch helped make wurm online, so i thought i'd try it again. lots of time on my hands.  got into wurm was invited to a village north indi, by notchman.  no idea if same guy. but i died 3 times  , spider troll and drowned once. but i made it there in 2 hrs lol.  they gave me a spot to build and nails and planks to do it. very helpful group. stayed 2 weeks. then off on my own and deeded 80% over clay. lol bad idea, don't do that. at least now we can transmute the tiles back then nope.

but after a few weeks in i knew this game would be played for the long haul. 12 yrs later still playing off and on.  47 years old . and kinda funny and sucks same time. been off work 4 months due to back injury waiting for surgery hoping this month or next. but at least I get to play wurm hard core again. been fun few months so far.  wurm in a great game for those of us stuck at home for many reasons.

we lost Millkilljoy resently  and he was in the same boat. a great person and player. my neighbor for over a year. I feel this game bring out the good people to connect and play together.  love it and always will. even though I STILL WANT THE SERVERS TO MERGE SOON.  lol  

• Like 4

ok for real this time.     started a touch after the crash.   spent my time in NT pestering a lot of folks.   FatherTime, Niobe, Oracle, Duce.   Cmon, surely the old ones remember Beartrap. or Overkill(BAKESALE!).  
[23:04:19] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Tears, week 1 of the starfall of the Saw, 982. That's 5631 days, 9 hours and 3 minutes ago.

Made a lot of friends over the years, which kept me around.  Sneaking over to wild to buy Ore from Zerobyte so i could be the first to 80 chainsmithing. Long nights with Niobe over the forge, BS'ing into the wee hours. Went to Wild and met Enki, Gabbin :P , Nosyt, Inacron and all the other Kyara family. The fights at WW, and the back and forth of banter (before the toxic PVP turn). I tend to sneak back in every month or 2 for a little R&R. Kind of refreshing when you can just do what ever, when ever. 

As for too old.... bollocks. Never to old to exercise your brain and create, even if it is pushing some buttons. The terra - forming is what kept me here. Building castles on mountain tops and shaping the land. And of course finding dragons there after like 5 years lol. 

10 hours ago, pacer said:

ok for real this time.     started a touch after the crash.   spent my time in NT pestering a lot of folks.   FatherTime, Niobe, Oracle, Duce.   Cmon, surely the old ones remember Beartrap. or Overkill(BAKESALE!).  
[23:04:19] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Tears, week 1 of the starfall of the Saw, 982. That's 5631 days, 9 hours and 3 minutes ago.

Made a lot of friends over the years, which kept me around.  Sneaking over to wild to buy Ore from Zerobyte so i could be the first to 80 chainsmithing. Long nights with Niobe over the forge, BS'ing into the wee hours. Went to Wild and met Enki, Gabbin :P , Nosyt, Inacron and all the other Kyara family. The fights at WW, and the back and forth of banter (before the toxic PVP turn). I tend to sneak back in every month or 2 for a little R&R. Kind of refreshing when you can just do what ever, when ever. 

As for too old.... bollocks. Never to old to exercise your brain and create, even if it is pushing some buttons. The terra - forming is what kept me here. Building castles on mountain tops and shaping the land. And of course finding dragons there after like 5 years lol. 

Good to see you still frequent these parts.

I remember that you were one of the few I died to when they first opened the home server to wild server raiders.

Fun times.

If I still had my old char my portal time would be similar, if not the same. Started getting grey irl, but definitely grey in Wurm. 17 years and counting.

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 2

been here off n on since the start of exodus, Simply put, Homestead way of life ingame that no other game can mimic, Specially with ability to customize so much and i have enjoyed watching the new things come each year.  I really enjoy all aspects of the game,  Also when you got lots of RL issues, This game is a great way to keep your mind off of things and keep busy. Also teachs good patience and hard work pays off in the long run i still have my original Exodus char, i log it in sometimes, But im on harmony, have been since the start of it.  I miss the old exodus days though and all the old pals i used to have, Lots n lots of fun back then.

• Like 1

Started Wurm in June 2008 on Jenn-Kellon Home before Rolf made Homeservers PVP. Although, I am not 30 yet, does that count? Am I too old for this? I don't know.

1 hour ago, fatboy said:

been here off n on since the start of exodus....

Hey man. i remember you from back in the day. I used to run into you or you into me while traveling. If i remember right you were part of the staff back then too. But i dont remember in what capacity.

Mostly we had common friends like Xsamuraix and others. Those were magical days back then in a sense. Glad to see you and your toon name again after so long.

• Like 1

its been a long time and yes at one point i was a CA,  exodus in those days was thriving, so much fun was had, Hard to get those days back or those pals. But all we can do now is make new pals and keep in touch with whats left of ones we once knew.

• Like 1

If I am understanding this correctly, you are wanting the perspective of older players meaning their RL age? Or are you meaning players who have been in Wurm for many years? Or both?

Amant has only been in Wurm since 2015, I'm not a "newbie" but I'm not an old school player either I suppose. RL age? Welp, a few silver hairs over 50. 50 is the new 30, right??? 😜 shhhh just let me think that.

I love Wurm for many reasons. Nothing is handed to you. You create your Wurm experience from scratch. There is no backstory except for the one you create for yourself. It can be painfully slow at times. But that's a part of what's so awesome about it. 

With the way my mind works, being task driven is a major plus. And seeing the fruits of my labor...even more rewarding. 

Thankful it was recommended to me. Thankful I came back after quitting for a year. Planning to stay a while. 😃

Okay, the old lady will stop rambling now.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:50 PM, validate said:

MMO 2000 was Asheron's call

Most of my gaming life is spent trying to get back the amazing feeling I had when playing AC.  It was amazing (first graphical MMO for me) to be in a game world that was so alive.  All the ambient sounds around me as I explored.  The incredibly complex world of spell casting, with the hundreds of components needed.  Crafting thousands of different armors.  I think my first wife was about left me over AC.

Wurm is pretty great though and a decent way to distract me, while waiting for that AC successor.  Probably never get that first MMO love feeling again, but I'll keep hoping.

Also I'm in the "old" group.  At our age, gaming is a great social tool, especially with so many bugs floating around.  Just make sure you get outside and do some walking.  Old farts can't afford to be glued to their chairs for 16hrs a day.  You won't last long if so.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Most of my gaming life is spent trying to get back the amazing feeling I had when playing AC.  It was amazing (first graphical MMO for me) to be in a game world that was so alive.  All the ambient sounds around me as I explored.  The incredibly complex world of spell casting, with the hundreds of components needed.  Crafting thousands of different armors.  I think my first wife was about left me over AC.

Wurm is pretty great though and a decent way to distract me, while waiting for that AC successor.  Probably never get that first MMO love feeling again, but I'll keep hoping.

Also I'm in the "old" group.  At our age, gaming is a great social tool, especially with so many bugs floating around.  Just make sure you get outside and do some walking.  Old farts can't afford to be glued to their chairs for 16hrs a day.  You won't last long if so.

LOL.  my wife played with me for 2 months. she got good at grinding MMds for us. she quit when she came home and found out i spent them all on armor for both of us. and some higher end weapons.  

a Co-worker I got into playing it.  he was just married. after 3 months he called in to work sick. and then called me. asking about a quest.  I asked him how sick was he.  he told me he wasn't he skill his collage classes too. trying to finish this quest.  one of the weapon quests. glows blue been to long. i know i did it for 3 of my characters.  but i told him he's to addicted .  2 days later called me at work upset. as his wife told him to delete the game. he set it up to uninstall but could not press the button without calling me.  wow.  thats when i took a look at my life. and kept on gaming till this day and beyond....lol  

last week i installed the game again too and jumped in for an hour.  I so miss it.  oh and my cell phone ring tone is the portal call ..  drives my wife nuts.  and right now and most evenings i ware this shirt i got custom made.  olthoi on the front. and portal graphics from AC 2 i think on the back.  found the pics i had online of it. hope it posts

19477623_10155537854207112_921456261757319621289_10155537853677112_2815636308930

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 1:41 AM, Rudie said:

Good to see you still frequent these parts.

I remember that you were one of the few I died to when they first opened the home server to wild server raiders.

Fun times.

If I still had my old char my portal time would be similar, if not the same. Started getting grey irl, but definitely grey in Wurm. 17 years and counting.

[21:20:40] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Tears, week 4 of the starfall of Diamonds, 980. That's 5718 days, 20 hours and 57 minutes ago.

Guessing you were a bit before that Rudie.

Here is Mee.  Was he about the same time as Rudie?

[21:23:42] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Tears, week 3 of the starfall of Diamonds, 980. That's 5719 days, 20 hours and 46 minutes ago.

And by the way.  that is a dang long time to play on and off and still going strong on the NFI servers now.

• Like 1

I'm a "gray Wurmian". I'm one of those who still remembers getting their first computer. Getting home from work, getting things taken care of, kids in bed, and then the familiar sound of the dial up connecting. It was all so new and so much to explore. Email was a big deal. "Do you have an email address?" was often answered with "I don't have a computer". The extent of online gaming was getting on Yahoo! Games to play literati or euchre or cribbage. 

The first game I remember playing on the computer was something I remember as "trains". That wasnt' the name, but you had to start from scratch and get eggs, then get them to market, to grow and eventually buid trains to move the goods faster. The graphics were about as good as the Oregon Express scene that they showed on The Big Bang Theory. 

Then somone recommended we try Planetside. I was hooked. A game where you could could actually play and interact with others? YES!! It was slow paced, and it was more about the social aspects than the game itself. It's where I met @Beanbag. Then Planetside was revamped into Planetside2 and it was much faster paced, less about  the social than the twitch. I still log in occasionally, but it's so go go go! that a few hours is enough.

Beanbag and I kept our friendship going, trying various games together.. then apart. Then one day he said he was playing this incredibly boring game that he kept going back to: Wurm. I was bored, so I figured why not. Logged in, got to his deed, and he put me to work making fences. It was the most boring, frustrating thing I'd done. But they got done and i looked at them and was sooo satisfied. I was hooked. He seldom plays, maybe it's our age difference, but he can't stand the slow paced aspect. He asked me the other day why I still play. I answered him this way: it is the only game where I can log in, do stuff, then go afk for two hours, come back and nothing has changed. It only changes when I change it. 

I enjoy the social aspect. I'm not a social person, really an introvert (REALLY introverted!) but with Wurm I can interact with others in my comfort zone. I think the one thing I do appreciate, which is good for people who are getting a bit grayer is the nothing is quick or easy. You work for it all. The other day I was fixing up a mine tunnel. I had tried everything. I stepped away and thought about it.. then I figured out the solution. Not quick, not easy, but that feeling of "I got this!" is priceless. And it didnt' rely on reflexes being that of an 18 year old. It required me to THINK.

• Like 10