Sign in to follow this  
Seftak

Continuing unfinished items

Hi all, i'm playing on Unlimited so there MIGHT be a difference with Online.

So, i've been wondering for years what is the trick to have items automatically move to the next one in line when you continue many unfinished items.

For example here i'm building support beams for my mine. They require 3 shafts, 2 ribbons and 1 log. Sometimes when i take 5 unfinished support beams and add them to the crafting window and add sticks on the other box and click continue. Once the first support beam has got its 3 sticks it will be moved to the bottom of the list in my inventory, the stack of support beams in the crafting window will be decreased by one and the next in line will be selected and ready to get its 3 sticks added without me having to drag it from my inventory into the crafting window. So clicking continue again will again move to the next unfinished support beam until they all got their shafts added.

But 90% of the time the first support beam will stay there waiting for the ribbons and log to be added, forcing me to select another unfinished spoort beam from my inventory and drag it to the crafting window.

So the question it : what is causing it to sometime automatically move to the next unfinished item....

When you add a wooden component such as a shaft with a different wood type to the unfinished beam, the wood type of the unfinished beam takes on the wood type of this new component.  The unfinished beam is then effectively flagged as a brand new item and drops to the bottom of the list.  The next unfinished beam then takes its place.  If instead you use a component with the same wood type as the existing beam, the wood type doesn't change so the beam stays as the active item allowing you to continue to add more components.

For example:

pinewood unfinished beam + cedarwood shaft - drops to bottom of stack

pinewood unfinished beam + pinewood shaft - stays active ready for the next component

For consistency ensure all your logs and shafts are from the same wood type.  You can add iron ribbons at any stage without affecting the list order, but as soon as you add a wooden component of a different wood type, the unfinished beam will drop out of the crafting window, leaving the next one to take its place.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2