Sign in to follow this  
Andromas

Historical Lore

It would be great to have player generated factual / fictional LORE.

Not something that would impact on gameplay.

Just enrich the player experience.

It could work like the alter radius effect, but smaller.

Eh I'm big on player engagement , but understand how this idea could be exploited.

+1 It would definitely add to the immersion and has been asked for before.

I had to ponder this idea.

My initial thoughts are a combination of  the mechanics 'Off deed signposts' and Archaeology.

So a new item, maybe called a Lore Spike, with the same limitations in characters as the Ql of a sign.

Once planted it stays hidden until someone discovers it through Archelogy or just a random inspect on a tile(Random is a once off).

If an Archaeologist finds it then it has an area effect of announcing the stored Lore to a player enter the area of effect.

"The Area of effect": Could be based on the Alter Area of Effect.

My only misgivings is the amount of admin required to weed out "You Momma is ..." types of Lore.

So let me see if I understand correctly, this could be like a player made lore easter egg that other players can leave hidden some place, that when another player interacts with a tile in some fashion, the lore would then be revealed to the player. 

So I could leave a "Lore Spike" on a tile that once had an Oak Tree that I may have received a supreme sprout from. When someone else interacts with that same tile, even if the tree is long gone, they would then find the "Lore Spike" that I left behind with any information about the supreme sprout that I was wanting to share.

That does sound interesting. Like you have already said though, there is a large amount of abuse that this could open up other players to experience. I wonder if there would be ways to limit that abuse. Maybe behind a high skill level or even a high cost. Most people who wish to abuse something do so because it is either quick and easy. Put that abuse behind some kind of high end skill/pay wall and it could stop a lot of the random abuse.

You almost have it, once the lore is revealed(not by the player who planted it), there is an area effect message like with altars and bees.

As with alters a better lvl "Lore Spike"(A non-visible item once planted) negates the effect of other close by Lore Spikes.

But if you stand on a tile with a Lore Spike you get the intended msg even if there is a 100ql Lore Spike on the next tile.

Event: "My friend Edinwall once lived here"

I totally agree with your points on safe guards.

There could be an extended form of off deed sign planting mechanics as well.

I keep referring back to existing in-game mechanics so as to make this idea an add-on, not a major change.