Sign in to follow this  
nachtiti

About the forge/oven

I think the forge and oven,openfire place, the pipe that goes up, it shoud be fixed. so if u have a multistore building it shall go all the way up on the roof or only stay at one floor, not peek litle with the pipe on the floor above.

sure if u have a single floor house, u see the pipe true the roof (as it shoud be) in my upinion. but when u have more. i now, it maybe more ppl that have write about it.

woud be great to see something there,

great work in general wurm staff and happy wurming 😃

• Like 2

I totally agree with Nachtiti on this one. I'd prefer if the chimney went all the way up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nachtiti said:

I think the forge and oven,openfire place, the pipe that goes up, it shoud be fixed. so if u have a multistore building it shall go all the way up on the roof or only stay at one floor, not peek litle with the pipe on the floor above.

sure if u have a single floor house, u see the pipe true the roof (as it shoud be) in my upinion. but when u have more. i now, it maybe more ppl that have write about it.

woud be great to see something there,

great work in general wurm staff and happy wurming 😃

16 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I totally agree with Nachtiti on this one. I'd prefer if the chimney went all the way up.

I agree too

From technical point of view; 

Some sort of roof height detection would have to be implemented so that when the forge/oven is pushed a little under a slanted roof, it would have to adjust the sticky-outy bit of the chimney by a fraction of the slope.

Slanted roofs can be multiple stories high and it would have to account for that plus stretch the texture, much like slanted floor tiles, which doesn't always look good.

If the top part was to be of static height, it might be easier but still the forge would have to somehow know how high to replicate the chimney sections through the floors and then the roof. I'm not sure if such mechanic exists.

Some buildings don't have roofs.

Alternative suggestion: Roof tiles with chimney option (smoke particles which can be toggled as well, please)

That way, from the hand full of possible roof objects (slanted, corner, inverted corner, pyramid-top), we could have an additional version when building them, which would have a chimney, aesthetically matching the roof style.

Probably a limit of something like 2 chimneys per structure would have to be added if smoke particles were to be added in case someone decides to build large area structures covered with smoking chimneys to lag the neighbourhood to death.

Either way, it does bug me for years that we have to live with smoke in our bedrooms because we have a kitchen/workshop below.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd love to have chimneys poking thru the roof. 2nd best would be for them not to poke thru the 2nd floor. There is the problem as Locath pointed out of different heights of the roofs at different points on the tile, not to mention on different tiles throughout the house. With the forge/oven model being static and unchanging I don't think I see a solution. And then there's the multiple story issue. If you have a 6 story house, it'd just be silly to have a 6 story chimney, and then when that house decays or you want to move that forge to a 2 story house, then what?

It might be easier to just chop the model off at 30 slope tall so it doesn't peek thru the floor above. And I say 30 knowing that the first floor of a building is 33, but in order to avoid a forge on the 2nd floor from poking thru the 3rd floor, I'd say cut it at 30.

i typically position my forges and ovens so the chimney section and the back of them poke out the side of my buildings eliminating most of the second floor smoke effects and making them look better on the outside of the building

+ 1 Chimneys have been asked for several times and I would love see them implemented. It really is a bad mechanic to have the smoke from a furnace billowing into the floor above and the top of a forge jutting halfway into the next level is just ick.