Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Full control of titles

Present system

• There are multiple categories of title
  1. Those awarded due to skill gain, purchases or subscriptions
  2. One title determined by current meditation path and level
  3. One title determined by which sorcerous items (magical tomes etc.) have been used
  • The user can display zero, one, or two titles from category 1, in any order.
  • The titles in category 2 or 3 can either be enabled or disabled, but their order cannot be altered.
  • If the meditation title is not hidden, the word "the" will be added before it.

Example:

Incinerator Sheffy the Protector [Fearless Rift Defender]

Proposal

• All titles go into the same list
  • All titles derived from sorcerous item use are available, not just one
  • Titles available from lower tiers of your current meditation path are all available
  • Zero, one or two titles can be put before the player name
  • Zero, one or two titles can be put after the player name
  • If any titles are after the name, the word "the" will be added before them.
  • There will be no square brackets in the title.

Examples:

Saint Sheffy the Learned

Accomplished Occultist Sheffy the Professional Mercenary

This is much simpler than the current system, and allows much greater flexibility and variety. It also means that players won't lose titles when they advance on a meditation path or use a new sorcerous item.

• Like 9
  • Cat 1

Just curious but where does this benifit the game at all over just showing off more titles. I think there are probably bigger issues in game that could be looked at vs this. 

so my vote would be -1

How does this benefit the game?

It encourages players to go out and accomplish things, to earn rewards, to increase their skills. It allows a greater degree of customization, and thus, it adds to player enjoyment and player retention.

• Like 3

I don't see the point you're just going to see someone and look for their name and it'll be so long to read...don't make sense to me it's just something extra to add in there not like they give extra skills, useless to me no offense...if anything makes it harder to see a name with all them titles infront of it...might be a plus for PVP because they can't tell who is who if they are looking quick for a name but there are better things that could be added in game :) 

Just now, Sheffie said:

How does this benefit the game?

It encourages players to go out and accomplish things, to earn rewards, to increase their skills. It allows a greater degree of customization, and thus, it adds to player enjoyment and player retention.

so getting a longer name gives rewards... no

the journal gives the rewards.... 

skills gives titles, which ya don't lose ....

tome titles have always been the same and not everyone gets them...

if anything I think its a deterent over a bonus because some players won't see the long names as an encouragement. 

the Devs are adding content like Goblin Camps to encorage players to lvl up skills. 

again I personally don't see a use to longer names but this is just my opinion

Current system, up to four titles plus "the" plus two square brackets.

Proposed system, up to four titles plus "the" and no square brackets.

If you think longer titles are a problem, I'm not going to argue with that...

3 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I think it a waste of energy on the devs over other stuff needing worked on but I am guessing you only want opinions that agree to this

Edited by Shagsfamily

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

Longer titles aren't even really going to happen, you'll be given the same titles as always, you just get the chance to freely choose where they go to sound fancier and look cooler.

Tome title choice has been asked for for absolutely years so as much as I doubt it'll happen, I really love this idea. Let us be creative with our silly reward titles for gods sake. What's better than a carrot on a stick? A bigger carrot on a stick. And honestly props to Sheffie for giving us a much better suggestion for overall title flexibility.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 3

i agree with this suggestion , the current way titles are handled is clunky and obtuse and could use a QoL improvement, just becuase it isnt something that a person thinks is important doesnt mean it isnt something another would consider. as for sorcery titles to get the title that the sorceror wants to display they have to go though a specific way of gaining the sorcery titles to arive at the one they want and if they learn it in the wrong way they cant change it so definately something to fix imo

• Like 1

This is a good idea 

And even if this isn’t fully implemented and the titles remain with the same “position restrictions” as they have now (brackets and all), even just the ability to choose your sorcery or med title would be fantastic. 

But anyway, fully customizable and streamlined like you suggested? sure!

• Like 1

This is a great idea, I hope to see such features in the game. We have so many titles in the game, this would open some new combinations, which is great!

The tomes could keep their special titles, but the ability to move title names around and the word "the" would be a nice addition indeed! 

3 hours ago, Shagsangel said:

look for their name and it'll be so long to read

I see no problem with that, personally. The name or the title font can have different color coding. It's already used in metal type description in tooltip menus. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll give a +1 to this. I may not have that many titles, and certainly no sorcery ones, but if you earn a title you should be able to use it how you'd like. I'd put this in the QoL category for the changes that we'll see in 2023.

• Like 2

The proposal allows more combinations on decorating player's name.

8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

If any titles are after the name, the word "the" will be added before them.

If someone decide to make the 100lv tile of blades smithing called The 50 Shapes Off the Blades,

For expamples:
Accomplished Occultist Blades the Professional Mercenary
Accomplished The 50 Shapes Off the Blades Blades the Professional Mercenary

Then the players name can be the Off because there is the word "the" behind the Off.
This can cause the confusing or limiting the choice to create a 100lv title.

The player name has to somehow stand out in order to make other people to unerstand the name isn't the part of a title, only the word "the" is not enough.

Could we possibly get colored titles? Like red for pvp titles, give the rarer titles colors like dark purple. Would even be cool to see animated ones that are shiny for gms

+1 To "what is it good for?" It adds fun, colour, and immersion to those who like to play with their titles. Those who don't haven't to bother with. As to long titles: My, so what, there are long ones already. If it is such a pain for some, just add a profile or settings option to disable most or all title display (no idea whether that would make any sense).

• Like 2

+1 Personally I love to see the title combinations people come up with. It speaks a lot to their toon's character and to the players character for that matter. I can only see more options to customize these as beneficial to the player base. As Eckin stated it does add a bit of immersive fun. Something wurm direly needs. I honestly don't see a negative. As for longer titles as Madnath pointed out it's still the same titles just in a new player chosen order so I don't see how this would lengthen the titles but I do see it producing more amusing ones.

• Like 2

+1 to this suggestion. As somebody who got "Incinerator" from my first tome, and WANTED "Inquisitor" from my Libram of Night... I was wildly disappointed to see I got nothing for reading the second tome.  The wurmpedia even states specifically on sorcery titles "(Titles with item names are only available if that is the only item you have used. Using more than one item will always result in another title. (Table with tome title combinations is in progress)."  

Turns out the "Always results in another title" part is no longer true. If it ever was in the first place.

Edited by Khellus
  • Like 1