Sign in to follow this  
tomcatvmp

game crashes and knocks steam/isp out

apologies if this is known. I've had this issue on and off for some months now, up until this morning it wasn't too regular.  however, it is becoming more regular and making the game impossible to play.   after the fifth crash this morning, I decided to post.  The game goes down and knocks out my isp needing a full restart each time. (Is this possible) because it's so regular that it doesn't seem like it's my isp going down, which is the impression the crash gives. anyone else experience this?

The game will 'crash' if it loses connection for a long period of time. Perhaps this is an issue with your connection rather than the client.

You don't have wurm issue, it's local issue with your isp.. call them.. ask to check why you have packet loss or loss of connectivity.

When you can't play wurm you probably cant open websites, etc also, playing youtube song isn't good test as it caches small .. but still large chunks to play and the play time could cover the whole loss of connectivity time and.. you wont even notice the connection loss.

wurm's not your issue

You can start a console and ping the server on which you play.. if this happens too often, ping -t <servername>.wurmonline.com, you'll see when you crash -> you also lose connection, and that's what kills the client, fix the connection issue, could be faulty switch, router, etc.. along the way(yours or anything outside of your home), ask your isp to check and fix the problem.

kinda guessed so thanks for replies. Although its odd it only ever happens playing wurm. possibly coincidence.

are you playing other for long hours :)

also some games might tolerate short time loss of connection better than other.. pointless to name other.. but had packet loss and other game/s where it instantly dies and it takes you time to preload everything again... partially solved that issue with 1 with vpn for longer ttl packets.. but that's medication you shouldnt take.. just poke the isp to fix whatever they have wrong there

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:28 AM, tomcatvmp said:

kinda guessed so thanks for replies. Although its odd it only ever happens playing wurm. possibly coincidence.

maybe - maybe not - ive had instances where the game was running, i could move my toon around and everything, but i was not getting any messages from chat anymore, and any action i attempted did squat(couldn't quit either), while at the same time being unable to access anyplace on the internet. Now, when i forced wurm to close via taskmanager all of a sudden i was accessing other places on line again.

at the time i chalked it up to windows being a butt...but now im wondering...

nonsense... your internet stops for w/e reason, game client rarely can hiccup and miss to hang and die instantly, leaving you to speed up at 60kmh around the map while you cant sync map far from where you were when you last had connection, you cant see any creature or interact with anything but some odd artifacts become possible - like speed boost;

I've seen wurm "rivers" in such state.. zig-zag triangular small canyons formed on else flat ground.. artifacts.. none of that is normal and it only happens as your client bugs from the lack of connection

it's much more likely for your router to malfunction/freeze and require restart(overheat or w/e)/switch in local irl to require restart or maintenance/temporary isp issue/bgp problems/etc..

do not overthink it.. your task manager does no wonders