Sign in to follow this  
olafhairybreeks

"This app can't run on your PC"

I woke up this morning to news that my deed had fallen (sob!), so I've been trying to  log in to salvage what I can. Unfortunately Wurm absolutely refuses to run. At first I got the message that my client had failed to update, and to check my firewall or redownload. I did both - my firewall allows Wurm, and I tried reinstalling. No dice! After doing those I got the error message "this app can't run on your PC". Well it did before! So I've tried going through Steam. I downloaded the game, only to get the original error message. I've tried turning off my firewall, same error message. I've just reinstalled again via the website, and the game was supposed lo launch but hasn't. I attach images of all the error messages I've got today, including one that I get several of when I start up my laptop.

It worked before!

iTh7Hu0.jpg

*Sob*

TdrHWPH.jpg

It kept making new ones??

gXgKA3I.jpg

I have no idea WTF this is

Pyjiu7A.jpg

TL;DR - HALP.

Edited by olafhairybreeks

UPDATE: I just tried to install Wurm on my mother's laptop, and I get the same issue -  I can't connect to update the client.

None of your screenshots work.

Out of interest, if you go into settings -> system -> about, what is listed as your "system type"?

Are you using some kind of "anti" "virus" software beyond Windows Defender?

Darn it! Sorry, I'll fix them. My system type is 64 bit (I installed the 64 bit version of Wurm each time) and I'm using AVG antivirus. That's the firewall I've tried temporarily disabling, but it doesn't make any difference.

Images fixed!

Edited by olafhairybreeks

It looks like something is screwing with your downloads. That may very well be upstream from you, i.e. your ISP, your router, or AVG. The error is a red herring; it can't run the files on account of them being completely empty.

Can you bum Internet access from someone else (neighbour's wifi etc) to quickly eliminate your own network as a possible culprit? That's the first thing I'd do.

WO steam is updated "today" though.. and steam showed no issues if it updated "fine", so...?

Can you try again to start steam WO, maybe download standalone(not steam WO client)?

1st error is likely from trying to start a blank(nothing.. as shown on launcher.exe.. it's 0 bytes)

2nd screen shows no internet(if you arent on traffic or wont suffer from extra wild charges.. could hotspot from phone if you can try wifi or hitch to neighbors' as recommended already), this is just to see if problem comes from your isp, could be partial or full net connectivity issue(while at it .. restart the router, why not...)

Well you are using AVG and Windows, so reboot your computer. Ive had same issues and reboot worked. AVG is messing up (my case atleast)

I've restarted several times already. AVG does seem to be a little buggy! But I've paid for it so I'm reluctant to stop using it early.

OK, so there's been progress! I restarted my router and I was able to connect to the client and download the game via Steam. However I still get the 'this app can't run on your PC' error when I try to use the shortcut on my desktop, and I can't use my main account via Steam. I'm uninstalling and reinstalling now...

Can you use standalone installer from link above?

..unsure how that aligns with steam accounts(never made steam/nfi/ alt) 

Delete all the 0kb files and run the _old_old_old launcher or download a new one.

I reinstalled and it worked! Thanks for the advice all, I'd never have thought to restart the router. Now I just have to rebrand all my TWO HUNDRED FLOOFS.

• Like 1