Sign in to follow this  
Borstaskor

Make unicorns stay hitched even after getting untamed

As the title says - make unicorns stay hitched to hitching posts and vehicles even after they get untamed.

I understand that this would change the game quite a lot. Hence why people should comment here saying why or why not this should be a thing.

Unicorns vs hell horses as a draft animal (under the assumption that they're equal in speed):

Spoiler

Hell horse advantages:

• Doesn't need taming to hitch to hitching posts/vehicles and to move between vehicles.
  • Can use horse shoes of any metal type.
  • Easier to breed as you don't need the taming skill to lead (=breed) them.

Unicorn advantages:

• Would not unhitch at a certain age.
  • Doesn't try to kill you occasionally.
  • Useful for rifting and other group activities.

A few consequences that I can think of:

• It would affect the economy (jewelrysmithing would become more useful for shoes which would make blacksmithing less useful).
  • Unicorns would become less useless (would become an actual viable option for drafting).
  • Taming would get another use area.
  • (any other ones that I'm not thinking of?)

I don't think unicorns would become OP with this change nor do I think it would upset the balance too much by making other things much less viable (except possibly making mules less viable but as far as I'm concerned, not many people care about those anyway :p).

For riding purposes, normal horses still reign supreme as this change would not affect that balance in any way and for hitching it'd give people two top tier options (with two vastly different visual/fantastical appeal and their own particular upsides/downsides) to choose between.

Thoughts?

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

fo-charm creature and charm rune for taming -> taming skill is useless for market value on hitching;

random unhitch misclick on cart will be disaster for a person without fo priest or having runes if taming skill service is something they bought to get such a cart with unicorns

Yes, requiring taming/runes/fo for hitching would indeed be one of the downsides of unicorns.

Hell horses don't have this downside.

hhs are not fun to deal with... there are several really easy to mess up scenarios, they repeat rather often and you can have a lot of headaches with these..

I've been lazy to note all and post a thread about all that mess..

it's several small things which make no sense to keep pestering players while dealing with them and the lack of any progression with their state

To be fair to the proposal, I don't think that having your unicorn come unhitched and potentially being able to re-hitch it because you don't have the means to tame it after you mis-clicked on Unhitch is that much worse than having your unicorn come unhitched and potentially being able to re-hitch it because you don't have the means to tame it after it became un-tamed. The former should be less likely to happen, and take more time.

Edited by Sheffie

one could easily foolproof a cart by making owner and manage options exclusive to an alt(best to have been prem at least once just in case of random alt deletion from months of inactivity), that aside... add to your main char the permissions to be commander, passenger, and access the cart(open), and there... all controls are present.. and you wont be able to unhitch the creatures(or be able to allow friends/randoms/alts to be passengers if that's not ON by default), but that could solve the random issue(and save money if runes/enchants/taming costs you some resources or additional trouble if not money as bought service)

If you all prefer to rather have unicorns being able to be lead without needing to tame (similar to hellies and normal horses currently), then maybe that's what the suggestion should be?

I simply tried to make a suggestion that would not be too overpowered and not devalue current content (hellies/normal horses) by tweaking it in a way that'd give unicorns clear downsides somewhat comparable to hellies downsides. And the downsides of each option are different enough where one is not clearly worse than the other which would make the choice be about personal preference to your gameplay.

And if you don't like any of those downsides, there's mules which doesn't try to kill you or unhitches at a certain age (like hellies) and which doesn't need taming to lead (like unicorns) but has the downside of simply being slower.

Finnn, I see you in a lot of thread saying a lot of random stuff and sometimes I don't understand what you're trying to say (and to be honest, I often times simply scroll past what you're saying >_<). Are you trying to say this is a bad suggestion? Are you trying to say that you'd rather prefer unicorns to be leadable without taming (which would effectively devalue both hellies as content for drafting and normal horses for riding and make both of those basically useless)? Can you be a bit more clear about the actual suggestion?

Edited by Borstaskor

I don't like them.

Just throwing good and bad bits about unicorns.

Making 'corns any more convenient.. puts every other mount into a worse spot.

I want a cart or wagon of unicorns, this sounds fun and explanations fair.

Hell, I don't even know if their stats are better or worse than the typical draft animals, but I would try to grind some taming skill simply for the novelty of unicorns on a cart using one character. Even if the stats are worse, hehe.

( Anyone out there with draft unicorns and 2+ characters to tame and hitch, now I'm curious about them and if it's just pretty ponies or actually viable choice.. :) )

• Like 1

Unicorns are about in the middle cart speed-wise when compared to horses and hell horses, hell horses would still be much better for a speedcart and horses don't have to worry about taming so it wouldn't be op or anything.

Unicorns unhitch at old same as hell horses do, this is due to it being based on the mobs CR. You could get around it by deliberately breeding slow or diseased unicorns which would never unhitch because their cr gets halved from those conditions, but this also means a champion unicorn cart isn't possible sadly.

Making gold and silver horseshoes is absolutely horrible

With all of that in mind seems like a fairly balanced alternative to hellhorses +1

• Cat 1

Unicorns are highly resistant to disease and starvation/hunger issues faced by other animals while living in less than ideal conditions. They can still suffer from these issues but typically take much longer to experience them due to triggering conditions than most other animals.

Unicorns can have the Hardened/Champion animal condition which increased defence unlike hell horse/horse.

Assume they are equal in speed as OP have said.

Lets not talk about the advantage of unicorn can hold two peoeple while riding.
Lets focus on the hitching on cart part.

Make unicorns stay hitched to vehicles after they get untamed. Meaning as long as people dont unhitched them manually, unicorn is possible to stay hitched to the vehicles like forever until they die.

Imagine a same speed as OP have assumpted, highly resistant to disease and starvation, higher defense, stay hitched to vehicles forever, stay peaceful to the rift creatures and mobs.
A cared for hitched unicorn with silver horse shoes, people dont need to avoid rift mobs or uniques to keep the animals alive, dont need to check the age of the animals, dont need to find the animals when it unhitched at certain age while u afk/log out, dont need to social distancing to the animals.
That sounds OP.

The major downside is that people need to do extra work while crossing servers, because it requires people to hitch and unhitch them. It can turn into a minor downside if the people have high taming skill/unlimited tame materials/fo priest, or just park unicorn hitched carts on every servers.

IMO, the adavangtages of letting them stay hitched to vehicles after they get untamed, makes these(the limit to certain type of horse shoes, extra time to breed, grinding to high taming skill) a minor downside.

That just mean the suggestion make the unicorn OPer than hell horse if poeple are willing to spend more times and efforts.

But thats just the mechanic. I think the main focus should be on the lore of the unicorn in medival period.
According to the wiki: Medieval knowledge of the fabulous beast stemmed from biblical and ancient sources, and the creature was variously represented as a kind of wild ass, goat, or horse. The unicorn, tamable only by a virgin woman

If they are wild and tame with certain condition, that means people should not see them get hitched and tamed commonly, like seeing people using their cart with hitched unicorns to go to the rift, park on every servers, etc.
The unhitched after getting untamed mechanic keeps the unicorn go wild. I think that is their intention to keep up the lore.

23 hours ago, Borstaskor said:

Would not unhitch at a certain age.

22 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Unicorns unhitch at old same as hell horses do

Which one is the truth? The wurmpedia didn't mention about the age thing on unicorn page.

Edited by Coach

1 minute ago, Coach said:

Which one is the truth? The wurmpedia didn't mention about the age thing on unicorn page.

[16:21:39] The old unicorn is too unruly to be hitched.

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

[16:21:39] The old unicorn is too unruly to be hitched.

Are they still tamed while the unhitch because of the old age?

Edited by Coach

technicality's aside, my point is that in wurm it seems that nothing is perfect there are plusses and minus to all the creatures. it's up to the player to decide which option is best for him. fun fact put a saddle on the unicorn it won't wander off.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that unicorns was slower than hellies and that unicorns currently unhitch at a certain age. I guess my suggestion would have to be tweaked a bit.

Edited by Borstaskor

+1 from me

If unicorns remained hitched, I'd use a pair for my cart.  However, given that they unhitch, and given that when I travel I travel for weeks, it's just too risky.