Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Impalong shopping list

I'm considering hosting an impalong, and I'd appreciate advice from those who have hosted, or attended, them.

What needs to be provided? What makes a successful gathering?

The list so far...

1. Facilities
    • Workshop areas
    • Beds
    • Campground
    • Horse / cart / wagon parking
    • Arena
    • Food/drink
    • Meditation rugs
  2. Materials
    • Sacrifice mats for casters
    • Iron and other metals
    • Cotton
    • Leather
    • Wood
    • Stone
    • Clay
  3. Supervision/management
    • Trusted individuals who can pick up items around the clock so that no one's gear is stuck overnight
    • Fully trusted individuals who can assign permissions to others

Please let me know what I've missed.

Also, if you would, let me know how important you think an item is.

Edited by Sheffie
feedback added
  • Like 1

I have staffed and hosted a number of impalongs myself along with many other people on here. 

Immediate things I see is pretty much every type of metal. Not necessary to get any alloys apart from brass (for dioptras) or steel. This is a very basic list and hosting an impalong takes so much more in resource planning. If you need help in logistics and planning please message me and I can assist. I am also helping staff the upcoming Lunalong and I can kind of walk you through what the planning stages consist of leading up to the days of the impalong. 

• Like 1

Not to mention timing is a difficult part of impalongs. There are a few reoccuring impalongs that seem to be established the same time of year every year. They have pretty much claimed those spots. However, where it comes in as being hard is trying to find a spot between those established impalongs that arent to close to other impalongs. These events, however fun, can become to saturated. If we just had an impalong you wouldnt then want to schedule another impalong 4 weeks later. People would show up but maybe not as much and not as many people would have things imped because they are still high quality from the last impalong. 

From my first impalong, I remember waiting times were long at the sermon circle (altars), but surprisingly there weren't any meditation rugs available.  Luckily I had brought CoC casted one, and as soon as I plopped it down on the floor in the altar room, people came over and started using it too. :)  So maybe some CoC meditation rugs dotted about might help those who have forgotten to bring one.

Some people might like to imp pottery items (e.g. jars for compasses), not sure if that's a thing, if so, clay might be needed.  Just an idea.

Most impalongs on SFI have all the different metal types (and sometimes alloys) as Zach said above.

Cotton string is needed for tailoring, but some people provide cotton (balls) too - for healing near the arena.

Some sort of food and drinks / refreshments are usually provided.

Sounds exciting Sheffie!

Muse brings up good point. The rugs around the sermon area and even dotted around the main imping building sounds like an amazing idea. 

There's an impalong coming up very soon. Lots of people who aren't able to attend the event are willing to donate items. So don't hesitate to ask around as much as possible. Might be a good list of things to look for in this thread.

Hello :) I recommend you to take a tour and check out all the current impalong sites. By doing that you can see what setups being used, and pick all the ideas you want to carry on for your. Maybe if you pick the best from everyone, add your own to the mix, you will end up with a fantastic version :D 
You would want most imp/idlestation to be close enaugh to the priests area to make sure they get those huge faithticks that really keeps them motivated atleast :)

Most impalong has some games/activities to do now and then between the imping. Ofc its nothing you HAVE to have, but its great fun if you do. For that you might want some prizes of some kind. I am in the impalongcrew for the easter impalong on DRF, Deliverance and we are already gathering up cool prizes for next year. Our experience is that its not hard finding people willing to help donate mats you need for the imping, or even favor. Prizes takes a little more work to get settled. But again, not mandatory and I am sure you will find a way you want to form your version :) Best of luck to you, and if I can be at any help, feel free to message me here or Miralux in game!

oh and you do want forges imped up high for imp station, so you dont have to fuel them so often.

Edited by Miralux
  • Like 1

I'm hoping SFI will be having a Christmas imp along somewhere.

I'd like to go and even volunteer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasminth said:

I'm hoping SFI will be having a Christmas imp along somewhere.

I'd like to go and even volunteer.

- 21 days from now :) this is the southern Christmasimpalong :)

Going to be a bit of an overload (sorry):

Events / Games / and the prizes that go with them.  Make sure to have a rough schedule and to make sure that impromptu events (held by your staff) are fine, but to not include any of the major prizes.

Gift bags.

Make sure things like the priests are not upstairs of all the smoke... really - put the forges on the top.  Keep all but sleeping in the main building so priests get the max from their sermons.  Have a few people (one needs to be staff) dedicated to running and managing the sermon group.  Come up with a plan on how you want sermons to run BEFORE you start - and stick with the plan.   Of the 10 or so imps I have been to and/helped host, 70% of the drama was from the priests and someone missing a slot or someone jumping in line.  

Campground & horse parking & boat parking (and imping) & cart/wagon parking (and imping).  Try to make the parking nearby so that those folks don't feel left out, and can come back to help with sermons / afk safe spots from arena spillage.  Off deed is fine typically.

If a dedicated deed, good idea to be able to invite impers to get deed bonus & kick them out once the imp is over.  Test and set perms before hand.

Enchanting spot.  Know what spells are cast by which priest, and what items get what spells.  This gets messy.  It is often the most confusing for folks looking to get that right mix on their items.  A weapon typically gets: CoC, Nim & MS + something like BT or LT + a demise (assuming it isn't going to be acid/frost potioned).  That is 5 different bins the person needs to move their weapon to.   It gets confusing, fast, particularly for people that don't do it often (like those you typically cater to at imps).   Signs and planning and doing a few trial runs help a lot.  Similar confusion happens to a lesser extent with blacksmithing and weapon smithing items (cause they ain't confusing at all).  

Make sure folks know to  bring their stuff for IMPING, not for crafting.  Usually 1-2 folks are new and have honest mistakes on this, but 2+ are just.... impatient and... well, rude.  How you figure out which is which and what you do should be clear up front.

Decide on if you are going to allow above 70 imping, and how those mats will be distributed.   Wood and leather go slow and always want to imp higher.  JS and weaponsmithing is always a backlog.  People get impatient for the 2-3 casters to show up.  

Recommended  70 ql mats for SFI (where we get an imp every 3-4 months, and our imps are 4-5 days long): 

Clay, stone shards, Marble, slate shards, yarn = 500--1000

Peat (or tar equivalent for fuel) = 1500 (a lot more than you should need, but running out 1/2 through shouldn't be an option)

Brass, Bronze, Copper, Tin, Lead, electrum, logs = 2k

Gold, Silver, leather (any QL but higher is better) = 2500

Iron, steel, Strings of cloth = 5000

Healing cotton = 20,000 (more if Bel visits a lot)

Favor = 1,000,000 at a minimum.  Priests are greedy with other peoples favor!

If, for example, you have 1000 high ql (90) iron, don't subtract it from the base 5000.  That would go in addition to as folks still need to imp to 70 first.  

There are other fun things that might be interesting - general how to do x,y,z; dye stations, blood mixing, etc.  People get downtime at these events also and want to be productive or helpful; 3/4 imps I have been to have had places set up to do a HFC / pan fill setup, but perms were never done so that anybody could ever do so.   Brick making, mortar and cordage making are also things people can do and feel useful doing.

Food & water convenient for all folks.  

• Like 2

A useful thing to have is a group of (wild) horses or oxen, mules to loan out for moving carts, wagons, ship transport and the likes. 

Designated parking areas for ships, personal horses, tents. Things get cluttered fast

As for collecting material and favour, people want to help is my experience. Ask for donations :)

Edit: have you seen this:

Edited by Rusk
  • Like 1

Arena recommendations

1. Size.
The arena doesn't have to be small. Otherwise after the first corpses nothing is visible on it. 10x10 or so is quite acceptable.

2. Shape.
Square with smooth fences. If you start making strange shapes, like | _|7_|, people will get stuck in them, and that is death.

3. Entry/exit.
Same as in step 2
No labyrinths at the exit. Not even a passageway. If 10 champ trolls are chasing you and you're stuck, you're dead. Everything should be smooth and clear so that you can easily leave the arena.
4 entrances of course. One on each side.

You can place flags or tall banners that are visible above the corpses to indicate gates littered with corpses.

3.1. And  BSB with cotton at every entrance. People are treated not inside the arena, but after leaving it. and very uncomfortable when you leave the arena with 1% health and have to run around the whole arena to find cotton somewhere on the other side. Especially when cotton is in one of the crates which is inside cart which is behind some gates. Especially when someone took the cart for a ride.

4.1. Buildings
Don't make openings facing the arena. Trolls and goblins can climb. I remember how people ran to catch the monsters that flee up at building through openings. :)

4.2. buildings
Don't make building structures with the bridge and the gate around the arena.   Even if the entrance with the bridge looks nice.   Like this one. I don’t know what exactly the bug is, but monsters sometimes pass between the bridge and the gate to the outside.

5. Set up FSB for meat and a BSB for other body parts in the arena with permission for everyone. Not everyone has permission to bury inside the deed, and this will help to clear the arena from body parts after butchering.

6. You can put a bell next to the arena to warn people when a new event has started in the arena.

• Like 2