Sign in to follow this  
flonkulina

Linux client not working

Sadly had troubles with that earlier already

Spoiler

USERNAME@linux-ehvc:~/Downloads/wurmclient> ./wurm-ll.py
Downloading jcef-natives-linux64.zip from http://client.wurmonline.com/dependencies/jcef-natives-linux64.zip
....................................................................................

Extracting /home/USERNAME/Downloads/wurmclient/downloads/jcef-natives-linux64.zip into /home/USERNAME/Downloads/wurmclient/work/jcef-natives-linux64
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./wurm-ll.py", line 444, in <module>
    jcef.make_ready()
  File "./wurm-ll.py", line 91, in make_ready
    self.extract()
  File "./wurm-ll.py", line 187, in extract
    super().extract()
  File "./wurm-ll.py", line 157, in extract
    shutil.unpack_archive(filename=self.download_path.absolute(), extract_dir=work_extract_path.absolute())
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/shutil.py", line 977, in unpack_archive
    format = _find_unpack_format(filename)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/shutil.py", line 945, in _find_unpack_format
    if filename.endswith(extension):
AttributeError: 'PosixPath' object has no attribute 'endswith'

wrong python version? Or something wrong in download?

• Like 1

Yup, that was added in 3.7 and I lied in the README. Oops. Sorry, it was a hackjob I threw together in pretty short time…

Ok you told already that you are not maintaining it anymore, so np. If anyone has an idea about the crash, I would appreciate it.

Just want to say that I solved the problem with the notebook by upgrading to OpenSuse Tumbleweed (rolling release version), and got Wurm running again. Thanks a lot to all who helped, Batolomeus in particular.

From my side, the thread could be closed. Don't know if flonkulina's issues are resolved too, so I leave it to her.

23 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Just want to say that I solved the problem with the notebook by upgrading to OpenSuse Tumbleweed (rolling release version), and got Wurm running again. Thanks a lot to all who helped, Batolomeus in particular.

From my side, the thread could be closed. Don't know if flonkulina's issues are resolved too, so I leave it to her.

No i stil got the problem, i might need to upgrade my linux version then, its allso outdated version of linux mint that i use. So will try that in the future. I still can play then, though i allso got a partition with windows 10, but i prefere linux though i use it as my main os.

Well i just installed newest Linux mint (21). And it not working more for me. I can see a small bar on the left side of screen but i cant move it or anything. Any advice?. This is how it looks https://ibb.co/jM7dLMK

Impossible to say without Terminal output. Launch it from the terminal like this:

_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true -Dorg.lwjgl.util.DebugLoader=true" GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher

12 minutes ago, Batolemaeus said:

Impossible to say without Terminal output. Launch it from the terminal like this:

_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true -Dorg.lwjgl.util.DebugLoader=true" GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./WurmLauncher

thanks i just did and this is the result on image https://ibb.co/JdvptBx

I tried  your advice Batolemaeus, but no luck. I am not sure i did it correct then. I am no pro on linux so when this kind of stuff is needed i just must have pure luck if i success. I allso tried Install opensuse same as you did Ekcin, but no luck starting it. It worked perfect for me on linux mint 14 until the last update they had. Is there any linux system this client works on without i have to do special tricks?, will there be any updates on the client for this issue?.

Edited by flonkulina

Well, Works For Me on Gentoo on my desktop and OpenSuse Thumbleweed on my laptop. I do think something is screwy with the last Wurm update to lwjgl though.

The devs have indicated that they are working on a runtime update, that should fix a whole raft of problems.

In general, the multitude of problems stem from the wildly out of date runtime, and because the WurmLauncher is dynamically linked to system components, which is a Bad Idea.

Mint doesn't publish container images it seems, so I can't really test it without installing a thick VM. If it ships with a more recent Python my abandoned launcher from early on page 1 might work.

4 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Well, Works For Me on Gentoo on my desktop and OpenSuse Thumbleweed on my laptop. I do think something is screwy with the last Wurm update to lwjgl though.

The devs have indicated that they are working on a runtime update, that should fix a whole raft of problems.

In general, the multitude of problems stem from the wildly out of date runtime, and because the WurmLauncher is dynamically linked to system components, which is a Bad Idea.

Mint doesn't publish container images it seems, so I can't really test it without installing a thick VM. If it ships with a more recent Python my abandoned launcher from early on page 1 might work.

Ok, thanks allot for trying to help. i am so used to linux mint and ubuntu, and not sure i can handle gentoo, but i will try that to. Mint i found a bit more easy to get most software i need to work without having to tweak to much. I still can use windows 10 then but when i compared them before, i think it took less power from computer when using linux, and my fans goes wild on that windows partition (probably viruses and stuff). I wait and see if they might fix the problems, so i can go on with mint and allso play wurm on it.

I allso tried install the windows client with Wine, well it worked, surprisingly but, it was not possible to move arround. Allso tried open it as sudo from terminal, and all looks ok, a window seem to stay open, but as i showed on my first image in this thread its just a tiny bar to the left, and i cant move it or do anything with it....

Never, ever, run Wurm as root. Doing that has a good chance of screwing up the entire installation as Wurm will encounter files in your home directory it can't modify anymore. That is true for both Windows and Linux.

Try https://gitlab.com/fb0/wurm-ll , see if it runs, if yes we know what's wrong, and if not, well, worth a try.

Edited by Batolemaeus

5 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Never, ever, run Wurm as root. Doing that has a good chance of screwing up the entire installation as Wurm will encounter files in your home directory it can't modify anymore. That is true for both Windows and Linux.

Try https://gitlab.com/fb0/wurm-ll , see if it runs, if yes we know what's wrong, and if not, well, worth a try.

WOW thanks allot Batolemaus, you are my hero! that script made it work :) so glad there are people with knowledge of this stuff!. Ok you mean it can screw up my linux istallation? good to know if so. Just hope it did not do anything to it this time :) thanks once again! finaly i can play the game on linux mint.

Okay, that narrows it down then. So it's the runtime Wurm ships that is the culprit for you.

I'll try to see if I can resume maintaining the script over Christmas, but I certainly hope the Wurm devs finish their work on an updated runtime.

6 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Okay, that narrows it down then. So it's the runtime Wurm ships that is the culprit for you.

I'll try to see if I can resume maintaining the script over Christmas, but I certainly hope the Wurm devs finish their work on an updated runtime.

Yes i hope hey fix it. I am so glad i can play now on linux. Thanks again.