Sign in to follow this  
Joemog

Make master cape able to bandage big wounds

Make master cape able to bandage big wounds.

Its by far the hardest journal in the game and kings can already do this so its not like its too strong by any means.

Pretty sure all who grinded it already assumed it could do this too.

Edited by Joemog
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Trash said:

Its fine as it is

Any reason other than you have king robes?

• Like 1

no reason to be less than op on pve

nerf w/e of it on pvp maps, different story

9 minutes ago, Joemog said:

Any reason other than you have king robes?

Think about the farmers on pve!

Yeah this just looks like a mechanics oversight, hoping it gets sorted

I'm going to say, let's not, because in order to cover larger wounds, its weight would have to increase.

57 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I'm going to say, let's not, because in order to cover larger wounds, its weight would have to increase.

We don't have to be realistic about it. I mean it "magically" reforms itself after every healing. Why add a penalty? The journal goal of itself is the cost and penalty to get one so why add weight? 

My point is:

1. Increasing the weight of the cloak will allow it to cover large wounds without changing the code.
  2. The other way to get the desired effect would be to add some special case code of the form "if(exact description of problem scenario) then (do the right thing) else (insert previous code here)" which is the textbook definition of spaghetti code

One of these is a clean, simple, data change. The other is much higher risk, requires new code, and complicates and slows down existing code — every time someone tries to bandage a wound, the game needs to check if they're using a cloak.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

My point is:

1. Increasing the weight of the cloak will allow it to cover large wounds without changing the code.
  2. The other way to get the desired effect would be to add some special case code of the form "if(exact description of problem scenario) then (do the right thing) else (insert previous code here)" which is the textbook definition of spaghetti code

One of these is a clean, simple, data change. The other is much higher risk, requires new code, and complicates and slows down existing code — every time someone tries to bandage a wound, the game needs to check if they're using a cloak.

If item is cape dont check for weight

it really shoudnt be that big of a deal

game does hundreds of checks a second its not bad for performance

Edited by Joemog

7 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

-1 for balance reasons

Oh cool which ones?

6 hours ago, Sheffie said:

My point is:

Yeah none of this is how it works. I understand wanting to be cautious, but ultimately you're further perpetuating the myth that the code is some giant spaghetti factory. 

The devs know what they're doing, there are old bits that are absolute spaghetti, but it can be cleaned up and improved, none of what you suggested is necessary or plausible. 

Updates aren't a monkeys paw

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:49 PM, platinumteef said:

-1 for balance reasons

Do half a million actions. Do 100 rifts ( a difficult requirement). Get a ton of titles. Spend a lot of time hunting recipes. Do a genocidal run to kill 20 000 mobs... etc. 

Reward : A cape that can heal you and repairs itself each time. It doesn't make you immortal. 

What's the balance issue again? If anything one might say the reward is quite inadequate considering it takes literal years to get it. Years. I know of no MMO that requires years to do a powerful end goal and the reward is a cape that has a narrow use and is not even customizable in model. 

Edited by elentari

I'm on the other side of the tail. The value of the carpet on our back is fully cosmetic. Quite only the item you cannot buy but only achieve.

The side effect it can heal lighter wounds is a nice pun.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I'm on the other side of the tail. The value of the carpet on our back is fully cosmetic. Quite only the item you cannot buy but only achieve.

The side effect it can heal lighter wounds is a nice pun.

I'm confused. You think it's fine as is because you want to be able to buy everything?

Make it take tiny amounts of damage per use, and require washing?

At half or specific high damage make it heal less but stop there with the damaging, keep the no-consumption feature..

and just allow reasonable high amount of actions before it's required to maintain it.. or it turns into another annoying chore, lets keep the game reasonably fun.. and move a few steps away from realism... 

if this is not ok for pvp - that's another problem.. there's bigger population on pve which could use something like this and brag and poke other people to get doing things to achieve something

(that's a big problem... go as noob at next rift.. grab 20kg cotton and tank some of it.. laugh at all back-ruggers .. it's fine, you'll be perfectly fine.. 20 cotton is just 2 farming tiles and grows in roughly 4 days, easy, no reason to farm for months for a rug)

PVP has had unlimited cotton for kings forever with no balance issues