Sign in to follow this  
Karlton

Placed candles burn out inside of caves

On my deed, placed candles never burn out on the surface when placed on a table. But inside the cave on the same deed, even using the same table, they always slowly lose quality and eventually burn out. It doesn't matter if it's inside a building or placed on another object, they always burn out when inside the cave.

I don't see how this could be intended behavior. I also think placed oil lamps and lanterns might burn out too, but I haven't been able to confirm that because it takes so long for them to use up all their fuel.

It's easy enough to reproduce, just light a candle in cave and place it on a table, come back a day later, and see that it has lost some quality. Now do the same on the surface and see that it hasn't lost any quality.

Edited by Karlton

Thank you for reporting this, I have set up a test. :) 

Hey Karlton, I went back today to check on the items I set up to test with, so far no change. I will keep checking though.

Thanks for looking into this. I just placed "[17:25:50] A candle made from tallow repeatedly dipped around a cloth wick. It is glowing from the heat. Ql: 44.90421, Dam: 0.0." on a small table in a cave on my deed on Xanadu just now. I'll see exactly how long it takes for it to tick.

now "[08:26:58] A candle made from tallow repeatedly dipped around a cloth wick. It is glowing from the heat. Ql: 43.40421, Dam: 0.0." I checked about 15 real life hours later.

Same result on allied deed, but it's on the same server and same area if those are factors.

OqKWNfe.png

This weird issue *may* be related to another strange effect I observed a few years ago. That one is about candelabras. What I found was:

Once filled with a candle and lit, a candelabra burns out after about 2 weeks - but only in some places! It will burn forever in other places! Further investigation showed that it depends on which "zone" of the server the candelabra is placed in. (A server is covered by a grid of n x n "zones", each zone having a size of 64 x 64 tiles. The zones are numbered in vertical order, starting from the upper left server corner, and in n columns from west to east.) So, it turned out that in some of those zones a candelabra would burn forever, in others (adjacent ones) they would go out.

As candles are involved in both cases, the issues *may* be related.

• Like 1

I've added this to the list for the team, thank you for reporting it.