Sign in to follow this  
Votip

What is the point of "Official Auctions Of 2022"?

i cant imagine this would have any big impacvt on either player who used time skilling up or ingame coins or anything els really, its a nice thing to do from the devs and a way to use those items that otherways just standing and collecting dust.

but they should have 1 post per items or atleast less then now, for me it was hard to keep track :)

30 minutes ago, Votip said:

This is the money existing on the Pristine only. Do You think that few auction that in summary may get to few gold will change much?

16 hours ago, Enki said:

My original idea was to simply account for and remove those irons from the economy.

Not my words, but Enki's words about removing coins from the system. I don't how much coin is in the system, my issue is, as I already mentioned, the players who may be effected by this in a negative way. IF this was indeed an idea for a gold sink, my point is that there are MANY better more creative gold sinks that would NOT effect the players and the skills they spend thousands of hours on. How do I know this is effecting players in a negative way, because I've been talking to those players and the fear is that the GMs/Devs selling items such as a caravel, is going to have an impact on their ability to have sales in the game. I feel that no player should have to compete against the game it self in such a way.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Votip said:

Do You think that few auction that in summary may get to few gold will change much?

If the goal is to get rid of coins from the game, then maybe a raffle or various raffles would accomplish that effectively. Especially if people could buy multiple entries.

Not sure if anybody would like that more or less than auctions haha

1 hour ago, Lovelie said:

If the goal is to get rid of coins from the game, then maybe a raffle or various raffles would accomplish that effectively. Especially if people could buy multiple entries.

Not sure if anybody would like that more or less than auctions haha

Not sure if that’s legal for them. Not sure the precise definition of gambling is there. 

That is not something they can do.

From the Wurm Rules

*Gambling is prohibited in Wurm Online due to Swedish law.

*Gambling is considered to be any type of activity where the winning of a prize is determined by chance and requires payment of any form to participate.

*Contests of chance requiring NO form of payment to participate are allowed.

Edited by LionIX

4 hours ago, LionIX said:

Not sure if that’s legal for them. Not sure the precise definition of gambling is there. 

That is not something they can do.

From the Wurm Rules

*Gambling is prohibited in Wurm Online due to Swedish law.

*Gambling is considered to be any type of activity where the winning of a prize is determined by chance and requires payment of any form to participate.

*Contests of chance requiring NO form of payment to participate are allowed.

Perhaps all users can be entered for free, and any additional entries are available for purchase. I've worked for some of those touring live versions of tv game shows and that's similar to how they do it. Completely free option "no purchase necessary" for anyone that cares to read the fine print and ask for it.

Not sure about technicalities or how specific it is with Sweden's laws though. :) Maybe still wouldn't work.

Edited by Lovelie

What if - and hear me out - what if this was something the gm team did with the intention of having a little fun with the playerbase? 

I know it's insane to think, but it could be that there's a ton of items sitting on golven valley, through confiscation, bans, anything of the sort, and the gm team thought it might be a fun little event to auction them off?

I don't think there's an ulterior motive the gm team aren't the ones in charge of the economy, and there's a billion better ways to do it than auction these items off. Its clearly just for a bit of fun. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

What if - and hear me out - what if this was something the gm team did with the intention of having a little fun with the playerbase? 

I know it's insane to think, but it could be that there's a ton of items sitting on golven valley, through confiscation, bans, anything of the sort, and the gm team thought it might be a fun little event to auction them off?

I don't think there's an ulterior motive the gm team aren't the ones in charge of the economy, and there's a billion better ways to do it than auction these items off. Its clearly just for a bit of fun. 

Yeah, this event, while unusual is actually pretty reasonable. And a bonus that it is somewhat of a silver sink.

Edited by LionIX

On 12/11/2022 at 23:08, Enki said:

I actually like your idea a lot, but I think that may be way more complicated than it would be worth.

Well then make it a time specific drop. Like the goblin leader drop a slip of paper with a "strange" number. And exemine read "maybe a higher authority can understand this?" Basicly you can open a ticket with the number that represent a item and a GM will trade it for the paper and remove the number out of the draw pool. After a few weeks you remove the timed paper droops out of the leader loot pool. 

This raffle way could be used later on to so it would be a great test for a system like this and leaders should not be killed so fast that the number of tickets is over whelming (at least I hope)

42 minutes ago, Radircs said:

Well then make it a time specific drop. Like the goblin leader drop a slip of paper with a "strange" number. And exemine read "maybe a higher authority can understand this?" Basicly you can open a ticket with the number that represent a item and a GM will trade it for the paper and remove the number out of the draw pool. After a few weeks you remove the timed paper droops out of the leader loot pool. 

This raffle way could be used later on to so it would be a great test for a system like this and leaders should not be killed so fast that the number of tickets is over whelming (at least I hope)

Or maybe have the chance to drop a map during one of the goblin camp battles, that map is unique in that there is a chance for one of the items found in the treasure map, once found and dug up, could have one of the items from these auctions in the loot pool. Or some form of ticket in the treasure chest, that when used at a token, can be redeemed for a random item from this loot pool.

On 11/12/2022 at 4:37 PM, Enki said:

My original idea was to simply account for and remove those irons from the economy.

Did i misunderstand this part? I thought this meant encouraging people to spend and get rid of their coins/money in game, which is why I thought the raffle idea with optional paid entries was fitting. It could be fun, too, and get even more people involved, maybe more than the auction.

(The idea of somehow including recycled stuff in goblin camps is still cool though! But if I read it correctly, then it’s missing the part to use up coins, right?)

Edited by Lovelie

11 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

Did i misunderstand this part? I thought this meant encouraging people to spend and get rid of their coins/money in game, which is why I thought the raffle idea with optional paid entries was fitting. It could be fun, too, and get even more people involved, maybe more than the auction.

I think he's referring to what he plans to do with the money from the auctions, not removing money from the economy. 

Gamewide economy is not a GM thing, it's a dev thing. Income from these auctions and what to do with it (remove it) is a GM thing

Players can auction items, and if someone disbands their deed and auctions all the rare and unique items, that's not a huge deal.  The GMs are still people and part of the community, so I don't see a problem with them selling off some of the items they have sitting around.  They can be part of the game and culture just as much as any other player.  I honestly don't see these auctions any differently than the players that sell off/auction all their rare items and I can't win because I don't have 4g (and I am not using real $$ to convert to coin!).

Yes, it can seem that "only the richest" players will benefit...but guess what??  Everyone starts at ground zero at some point!  I didn't have tons of money when I first started playing, so no, I couldn't buy any of the cool things.  Fast forward 8 years, and now I do have in game money to buy things.  Because people hoard the rare things, I know there are MANY items I will never get because they are so hard to come by.  Economies ebb and flow, so at some point if something becomes so common, the price will drop and then the poorer/newer people have a chance to snatch things up.

Part of the draw for this game to me is that fact that there are so many people willing to give/donate/share when someone is in need.  I have had a couple items turn rare at impalongs, which was so nice as I got a rare high ql item back!  I've made a few rares, I've been gifted some cool rare items....yet on the flip side I've had rare/supreme items stolen from me by nefarious players.  Friends stepped up to replace what they could, and that goodwill carries well beyond that simple act.  I go out of my way at times to help others, passing that spirit along to the next player.  The bottom line is, while buying things is the most direct way to get something rare/valuable, it's not the ONLY way, and just by playing the game you will come across plenty of treasure in many forms.

It's OK to have fun, this is just a game!  I want the GMs and Devs to play, too, so they understand when we do bring up issues.  And I admit, I like being turned into weird random things at impalongs! :D

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, Jingerjas said:

The GMs are still people and part of the community,

IMHO, this is the sole reason they did the auctions in the first place. 

they are Human Beings, and like the rest of us players, they play the game as well. They participate all sorts of things, from 1v1 combat with whomever wants( Madnath vs Enki round 3(or are we up to 4 now) when? :P ) to building and working on their own deeds (points to Shrimpiie and Shydow)

Granted, its definitely different that its the GM's as a group that are doing this, not individually. That being said, its it really all that different from any other merchant doing business in the land of Wurm?

On 11/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Jingerjas said:

Players can auction items, and if someone disbands their deed and auctions all the rare and unique items, that's not a huge deal.  The GMs are still people and part of the community, so I don't see a problem with them selling off some of the items they have sitting around.  They can be part of the game and culture just as much as any other player.  I honestly don't see these auctions any differently than the players that sell off/auction all their rare items and I can't win because I don't have 4g (and I am not using real $$ to convert to coin!).

Yes, it can seem that "only the richest" players will benefit...but guess what??  Everyone starts at ground zero at some point!  I didn't have tons of money when I first started playing, so no, I couldn't buy any of the cool things.  Fast forward 8 years, and now I do have in game money to buy things.  Because people hoard the rare things, I know there are MANY items I will never get because they are so hard to come by.  Economies ebb and flow, so at some point if something becomes so common, the price will drop and then the poorer/newer people have a chance to snatch things up.

Part of the draw for this game to me is that fact that there are so many people willing to give/donate/share when someone is in need.  I have had a couple items turn rare at impalongs, which was so nice as I got a rare high ql item back!  I've made a few rares, I've been gifted some cool rare items....yet on the flip side I've had rare/supreme items stolen from me by nefarious players.  Friends stepped up to replace what they could, and that goodwill carries well beyond that simple act.  I go out of my way at times to help others, passing that spirit along to the next player.  The bottom line is, while buying things is the most direct way to get something rare/valuable, it's not the ONLY way, and just by playing the game you will come across plenty of treasure in many forms.

It's OK to have fun, this is just a game!  I want the GMs and Devs to play, too, so they understand when we do bring up issues.  And I admit, I like being turned into weird random things at impalongs! :D

The difference is, this items are not obtained by GM's from normal playing the game like you and me, or at least, as much i know about it. So it's nor really like they can't auction or sell stuff as players but doing so as GM's, for weird  "economy" reason  i can see someone having reasonable issues with it.

Personally, it doesn't bother me

• Like 1