Sign in to follow this  
Votip

What is the point of "Official Auctions Of 2022"?

As title says, what is the point of the "Official Auction of 2022" sale? Where these items come from and where the money goes? I thought that we have too much of items and too few people playing the game. For me, it looks like destroying the economy by adding more rare items.

The post pretty much hints that the items came from banned players, so that would be my guess when it comes to their origin.

It's little weird that this items can travel clusters but players can't, but not a big deal, i guess

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

The post pretty much hints that the items came from banned players, so that would be my guess when it comes to their origin.

I wonder how a player can have forge in his inventory. Banned people and the ones that arent playing anymore are the only, and very inefficient way to remove some items fron economy. Bringing them back is a terrible thing.

• Like 1

These are wonderful question.

These items come from a rather extensive history of previous GM cases, where items needed to be removed from the game as a whole, for one reason or another.

As for why, many of these items were obtained by questionable means, and many have some veeeery old signatures.

And lastly, Delivery. All items will be delivered via GMs, who are able to travel to various servers with items in their inventory.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Votip said:

I wonder how a player can have forge in his inventory. Banned people and the ones that arent playing anymore are the only, and very inefficient way to remove some items fron economy. Bringing them back is a terrible thing.

Perhaps those came from the inventories of one of their boats/wagons? There's even a Caravel in the list and that most certainly didn't come from someones inventory.

Why dont they just have a raffle ?

Draw names of players who are premium at the moment or sell tickets .

Let everyone who may want some of the items a chance instead of players who have almost unlimited coin that are in game.

Yes i know they can still buy more tickets then others , but its still a draw chance , and people know Wurm RNG can be wild .

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

pretty sure this idea came up to draw out some coins of the servers, as all profit goes to GM. However this introduces items back on the market, that were otherwise long forgotten. End of the day - i dont see a difference in the end result

I'll be transparent about this and say that I wasn't quite ready for this to go public for a couple of weeks yet.  I think a couple of GM's may have misunderstood something I said a week or two ago, or Keenan may have even talked to them and I have not seen the memo.

I have been bugged for years by players to do this for whatever reason, and it's not too bad of an idea really, but there are still some details that need fleshed out on what items to auction, where to auction, etc.  

Right now the only official stance I have is that the staff will NOT be directly benefiting from the proceeds.

My original idea was to simply account for and remove those irons from the economy.

There was never any underhanded intentions with any of this, but we have ended up with a lot of items that were not made by any nefarious means.  Yes, outright destruction remains a possibility for most of the items we have hoarded from irrecoverable banned accounts over the decades, but we are always coming up with ideas to use the items for events and other more natural ways to deal with them rather than just deletion.   I suppose I could just hatch a pet volcano named Lavvy to feed it all to.

/Enki (Head Game Master)

• Like 10

They could put the confiscated stuff in a loot table that is connected to the the upcoming goblin camps.

It would be a nice lore-friendly way to recycle stuff back into the game.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, griper said:

They could put the confiscated stuff in a loot table that is connected to the the upcoming goblin camps.

It would be a nice lore-friendly way to recycle stuff back into the game.

I actually like your idea a lot, but I think that may be way more complicated than it would be worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enki said:

My original idea was to simply account for and remove those irons from the economy.

Depends on how continous these auctions will be, but why not use that pot for some prized community events and competitions? Holiday themed screenshots, GM organized cow races, or even add some of those coins to treasure chests.

Always figured banned accounts and items were perma deleated from game .

Why the change to auction ?

Just lava it all .

My thoughts is that if a gold sink to remove coin from the game is one of the ideas behind this, there are many other ideas that I think that would benefit the community as a whole.

I don't like the idea of the GMs/Devs holding auctions, as it feels like us the players are now in direct competition with the makers of the game. Time will tell if there are any economic issues that come up.

For example, I know there have been 4 different rare forges advertised via trade on NFI in the last week, by the dev team adding their items for sale, one being a rare forge, is that going to have an effect on the players trying to sell their items. There are current ship builders who struggle to sell ships that they spend good time on crafting, but now there is a Caravel up for auction from the GMs/Devs. A one time auction may not have any effect on these players, but it was made clear in the auction post that this will not be a one time auction, and if I as a ship builder or seller of other items, am now having to compete with items that the GMs/Devs are posting for sale, not just my fellow players, then what is the point of me trying to sell these items myself. To me it is a grey area that I don't think the GMs/Devs should be involved in.

If you want a proper gold sink, then be creative and make one that will do what you want, it is well known that people will shell out good coin for cosmetics, there are thousands of suggestions of different skins or ideas for new items, all that can be added to merchants.

I understand the desire to get some old items back into the community, but that should be done in a way that will not have an effect on your paying customers that play the game and spend thousands of hours to get their skills up to be able to craft and do certain things. A ship builder who is able to make and sell caravels should not have to worry about the GMs/Devs trying to sell the very items that he has put the time into being able to craft. It can be demoralizing to a player that has grinded up the needed skills to make a ship, the sails, the large crates and the such, just to find that the GMs/Devs are selling the very item that he just spend the last 6 months making. Demoralized players don't play and don't pay and don't return to the game, and that is a bad thing. 

There are Imp a longs now on both clusters every year, these items can be given away at random to those that attend, there are countless other ways to get these items back into the community without making the players feel disenfranchised in the process.

In the end, these auctions create competition that is not organic and I don't feel should be in this sandbox game. 

Just my two cents.

Happy Wurming

• Like 5

Meh items here and there from banned players are a drop in the bucket, economy wise.

Unless they start generating items outside of the occasional reward.... now that might be a concern; though, doubt it will happen. There's been pretty tight rules on such for ages, let alone past abuses that show the impact.

Anyways, this isn't the first time stuff from banned players was sold in auctions, given out as rewards, or dropped in treasure hunts. The old kind where a chest would be dropped somewhere rando.

Haven't seen one of those treasure hunts in ages. Granted  irc it was more Oracle's thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karrde said:

Meh items here and there from banned players are a drop in the bucket, economy wise.

Unless they start generating items outside of the occasional reward.... now that might be a concern; though, doubt it will happen. There's been pretty tight rules on such for ages, let alone past abuses that show the impact.

Anyways, this isn't the first time stuff from banned players was sold in auctions, given out as rewards, or dropped in treasure hunts. The old kind where a chest would be dropped somewhere rando.

Haven't seen one of those treasure hunts in ages. Granted  irc it was more Oracle's thing.

For me its not about the economy, but the people that are behind the economy, the players that make up the eco system of this sandbox game. ANYTIME something is done that will throw a cog into that eco system, it should be done with great thought and looking at all the possible issues that may come up. The effects of actions on paying players who have put thousands of hours into their craft is not a drop in the bucket and should be greatly considered when doing anything like this. I'm not speaking from a point of someone who makes ships, I don't, but I have lots of friends who do, on both clusters, and they do not appreciate this. The next auction may be 2 caravels, or a knarr or who knows what, and that is the issue. They are no longer able to compete against other players in a sandbox game, but against the game itself. This is just an example from the pov of ship builders, but this will effect every craft and skill out there. It is no longer a system of player vs player when trying to sell their goods, but player vs game.

Like you said, it may just be a drop in the bucket, we don't fully know, but what I do know is that there are now players that have concerns about this, and it was not a concern that they had yesterday or the last thousand hours that they put into the game, it was not something that they ever thought they would have to deal with. In the end, any item that the GMs/Devs sell, via any method like this, is a possible sale from the players who again, spent the thousands of hours grinding up their skills to sell the very same items.

Do a proper gold sink that will not have a negative effect on the player base like this possibly can. There are plenty of us players with coin saved up that are just itching for something cool to spend it on....let us spend our coins on a proper gold sink!

10 hours ago, Enki said:

I actually like your idea a lot, but I think that may be way more complicated than it would be worth.

It could be made very simple, like receiving 1 token from a defeated goblin camp that you can exchange with a GM for one of the items from the "Goblin Treasure Trove".

Put in a /support ticket and have an option for "Redeem Price" (the token can have a number as a name, example "Treasure 42" and that would give you the 42nd item from the GM list).

Would put in some extra work for GM's (depending how frequent gob camps appear), but would require hardly any extra coding.

Anyways, the idea of auctioning the items off like it is now is a bit chaotic and sudden.

I can see it work as a gold sink (people are already bidding high in the topic), but I can imagen it feels very frustrating for players with few silver in their banks.

Needs some tweaking, but the idea of those items not going to waste is good.

1 hour ago, gnomegates said:

on both clusters,

The funny thing is due to the different economies, all these items will go to NFI.

Crafters on SFI will not have to worry, but for somebody on NFI selling rare anvils, this might not be so fun. Maybe the GMs did not consider that aspect.

i want to thank the staff for giving us this chance to try and snag something that could be a nice momento of the past of the game, i for one do not believe it will negatively impact the game like so many others have expressed in this post, it seems anytime something might impact the bottom line of the elites seems to get them up in arms about it. please keep doing the wonderful job you have been doing to make this game enjoyable for all players and not just for the ones that are elite.

28 minutes ago, kordethbludscythe said:

i want to thank the staff for giving us this chance to try and snag something that could be a nice momento of the past of the game, i for one do not believe it will negatively impact the game like so many others have expressed in this post, it seems anytime something might impact the bottom line of the elites seems to get them up in arms about it. please keep doing the wonderful job you have been doing to make this game enjoyable for all players and not just for the ones that are elite.

nvm, your not worth the time. I've shared my point of view, guess I'm elite for having fear that those that will be effected by these kinds of actions will see their play time to grind up skills, to just be a waste of time. So be it. I'm out of this, not worth the time to deal with people who are going to resort to name calling. 

Edited by gnomegates

I do not think that these auctions are different in any way from a normal player auction - these are player made items as well anyway and not an unlimited stock.

BTW I'll be curious to see the NFI bids on the first PMK item auctioned :P

• Like 1

It's probably not a big deal 15 items, but can be precedent for opening the floodgate for 100's or 1000's of which majority probably on SFI to go to NFI if their value would be higher there. All that, while in same time keeping the clusters separated because of the possible negative impacts on "the market" and while ignoring the postive impact. Weird and confusing, at least for me.

You may consider that before jumping to snag a big thank you one more time, lke there's no tomorow and like there's a shortage of thank you threads recenlty

It would be a very sad state of the game if a few items per item type would crash the markets...

You mean few items per player? How many rare or supreme carving knifes you actually need?

6 hours ago, gnomegates said:

My thoughts is that if a gold sink to remove coin from the game is one of the ideas behind this, there are many other ideas that I think that would benefit the community as a whole.

16 hours ago, Skatyna said:

pretty sure this idea came up to draw out some coins of the servers,

image.png

This is the money existing on the Pristine only. Do You think that few auction that in summary may get to few gold will change much?