Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

How did you find wurm?

I don't particularly recall the exact years, but!... I would come across reviews or articles about a wondrous virtual world, where the very ground you stood on could be affected by you. The avatars did not look appealing to me at the time, so I wasn't as interested as I was in places like Anarchy Online or ATITD, etc. But I reckon that the year of first hearing about Wurm was 2006ish. Then I took my first plunge, landing on Independence as Shakatra in 2013. Wouldn't be surprised if it was via MMORPG.com...

Edited by Ayuna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zexos said:

Ah yes :) I forgot what the name was.    I think I got up to a point where I could roam around after the tutorial section finished and was thinking......Hmm.....Now what? 

I just saw on their website, it says "There is no combat in the game"  Maybe that might also of been why I left because the other MMO type games I had played, always had combat.

I do recall there being combat, the only kind of combat, only during a particular time... like a certain festival or event, where scarab beetles fall from the sky, or something like that, and you have to fight them off...

• Like 1

From my memory, I first joined Wurm on the 25th of December, 2012. At that time, I played a mod for Mount & Blade: Warband named cRPG (which oddly enough has just been resurrected for M&B: Bannerlord), and had been playing with an allied guild (The Templars) in their teamspeak. One suggested that they should go and play some Wurm and convinced me to join them. I found myself on the Epic server and was sat on the back of a cart before I knew it.

I've played on and off since then when time allowed.

However...  I searched my emails to confirm whether or not it was the correct date or if I was skewing it as it was a fond memory, only to find that I registered to play on the 7th of November, 2010. I don't remember doing this. I don't remember where I would have come across Wurm or why I never continued to play. I also have the registration email for the same character name on the date that I remember. I rarely post and keep mainly to myself but this has thrown me so I thought I would share, if only to warn that Wurm'll get you one way or another! :)

Edited by Tennenoth
word
  • Like 2

I was googling for an interesting MMO about a year and half ago and found Wurm.

I really wish I had found it years ago. This is totally the game I've been looking for the last 20 years.  Played Faldon in the late 90's and had been looking for something like it since. Minecraft was OK for a while, but the graphics are too childish looking. Planeshift was ok for a minute but no one was ever online there and grinding didn't really give you anything worthwhile.  Lots of others that didn't hold my interest very long too - LOTR, Conan, etc..

• Like 2

I found the game through@Drogos

He popped into a Sims 4 stream I was watching and was talking to the streamer about Wurm Online, which they played here and there together. It sounded just like what I had been looking for in a game for years and years. So I looked into it.

It really is the game I have been wanting to play all my gaming life, over 30 years. I too wish I had of found it sooner.

I was playing World of Warcraft and Sims 4. Love the fantasy and style of WoW (nothing modern) and the building/decorating that came with Sims. Now I have the best of both worlds!

- Indigoe

• Like 1

Sucked in by someone else...

"It's fun!" he said

"You'll like it!" he said

"Oh yeah and by the way, you'll be my slave and do all the chores on the deed.  That's ok, right?"  :D

• Like 3

Was searching for a bug the wife found in the kitchen, and misspelled worm.

Advertising was non-existent back in 2011-2012 so really thankful for the accidental find.

• Like 5

I didn't find Wurm Online, On August 29th 2011........Wurm Online found me!

Bring back standing on horses whilst riding...........good times! ;) 

Edited by KhalDrogo
  • Like 2

Saw wurm unlimited on steam. Looked on YouTube to see how the game play was and saw that wurm online was free to play/try. Downloaded the game and was hooked instantly by the music and the environment. 

• Like 2

A friend of mine and I used to play DAoC, he eventually got burned out and was checking around other MMO's in the world and somehow came across this tiny gem of a game.

Convinced me to try it, tens of thousands of hours and nearly 11 years later, here I am 😛

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

watched a future college roommate playing wurm in late 2007.  looked interesting as he tried to mine around newtown in jkh.  fast forward a couple months into 2008 and seeing all he had accomplished in that time i got bit by the curiosity bug and started playing.  Miss JKH, that was such a good map

• Like 1

My brother found Wurm in late 2013.  He tried it and seemed to lose himself in it.  Then I realised I had lost him.  So, one day I 'found' a map of Pristine he had left behind, and I decided to enter the world of Wurm to find my lost brother.  Of course, I got lost trying to find him.  Then at last I found him!  Then I lost myself in the game as well.

• Like 5

On 11/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, Sheffie said:

British gaming website Rock Paper Shotgun published a feature on Wurm (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/pitchfork-media-a-portrait-of-wurm-online) that got me interested. It's still a good read.

That was the very same article that caught my eye as well and put Wurm on my radar.  It was only when the Pristine/Release server addition was announced that I decided to jump in - played on Deliverance for two weeks with a future alt to see if it was something that captured my attention and, boy howdy did it capture my attention.  Jumped in with both feet the night that Pristine opened and have been here on and off ever since.

Absolutely nothing else like it and I feel I could happily Wurm away the hours for at least another decade.

• Like 2

My brother introduced me to the game. He’s played a few times, but ended up burning out on it each time. I only ended up taking one long break. 

2012 and a friend found a mention of the game somewhere on the internet - came over from another game with him and stayed. neither of us play now but I still have a deed or 2 in Wurm, cannot quite give it up altogether :)