Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

How did you find wurm?

As the title asks, how did you find wurm? Always wanted to see how others found the game.

As for me, I found it searching for mmorpgs on basic internet search back in late 2015. I don't remember how many pages back it was on search results though or if the result was a direct link to wurm or if it was to some other page that mentioned wurm. Wish I could remember.

• Like 3

Found it mentioned by a guy on a old browser based game back int eh earlier 2000's, Got chatting to him and started myself, Left golden valley with the guy and luckily got adopted from Indy spawn within minutes of arriving by some nice people... 

And here i am many many years later

• Like 1

Was introduced to the game by my grandson, though I did not at first understand that it isn't possible to travel between the northern and southern islands. I ended up putting down roots on Xanadu, and just made an additional character to visit with him and his friends over on Cadence. They spend most of their time wrangling various sorts of creatures toward different purposes, and trying to avoid the drama of Cadence as best they can.

• Like 1

Cant remember back in 2007. Probably searching mmorpgs available.

• Like 2

java forums when the java forums had a game section where game devs could post up questions about issues they had or post the projects they were working on and a most from rolf(or notch 1 of the 2) left me curious what they were working on so did some digging and found the game and never left

• Like 2

I believe I first encountered a reference to Wurm Online back around 2007 or so from an article in PC Gamer magazine (the online articles).  They had a number of articles back then on the game (almost never now) and even had their own settlement set up on Golden Valley (and later Independance).

My internet connection at the time was only dial-up, so I could barely stumble through to appear in the old New Dawn starter town on Golden Valley, but maybe a year or two later my internet access improved and I was able to start actually playing from there.

Good times in the old days!

• Like 1

Same as you, I was looking through some mmo's online and have been playing ever since Dec 2013.

• Like 1

Back in 2003? Can't honestly remember, more than likely it was mmorpg.com with their list of games and what was in beta, etc.

I remember it was just asking people to come in and beta test...and I remember the stress test where we were trying to get more than 100 players online.

I stuck around all the way to Gold, Wurmageddon, Gold 2...didn't like the Gold 2 map much and family stuff took over., took a break.

Came back in 2014 to find Hailiah dumped on Chaos...yes devs still pissed about that...

Edited by Hailiah
correction
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, Tristanc said:

I believe I first encountered a reference to Wurm Online back around 2007 or so from an article in PC Gamer magazine (the online articles).  They had a number of articles back then on the game (almost never now) and even had their own settlement set up on Golden Valley (and later Independance).

Same here, I also found it mentioned in PC Gamer, as a sidenote in an article in 2011. PC Gamer did quite a lot of free promo for the game back then.

• Like 1

Saw @Berris/Jennykellon and Dentarthur (irl friends of mine I'd met some years before through LARP) posting screenies on social media of their brand spankin' new deed on Release around New Years, a week or so after the server opened, and was immediately like 'What is that? I want that.' They invited me to come play, told me where to get the game and what server to join etc and I was so eager to get in, I had downloaded it, shot through the tutorial and was already chopping trees and hoarding logs like a noob around Sloping Sands before they even got home from work for the day. Was super reluctant to part with my brand new stack of logs and tried swimming to get away from a spider with a full inventory and we all know how that goes. After a couple of abortive attempts to find their deed myself, I made a campfire on the shore where I could watch out for wandering eight-legged threats and cooked some meat I'd found on someone else's abandoned mob-kill and waited super impatiently for someone to come online. Dentarthur ran all the way to Sloping Sands (on foot, no horses or boats yet) to find me late that evening, persuaded me to leave my precious logs behind, and then led me on a running/swimming/mob-dodging sprint back down the shore of spawn lake with wolves and spiders and bear sharks on our heels. It took forever. I remember the palpable sense of relief and cosy-homeness I felt when we finally made it safely onto their little deed (Poolsclosed, which is still there after all this time). Berris mostly did (and still does) play on Indy so gave me free rein to try all the different skills out with their stuff, build whatever buildings I liked etc. I learned how to dodge trolls on the steppe (who were tall green slender man-like things then), made myself a load of horse tack and then realised I wouldn't be able to ride a horse without premium, so I premmed up, started skilling up towards horse riding, knocked up a small inn and a cottage for myself and started bringing chooks and bison home off the steppe and... that was it. That was me hooked.

Had me at 'build houses and bring home chickens' tbh, and honestly that's still what most of my Wurm-life is spent doing :)

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 4

Found it playing Eve online. A corp member mentioned it back in 2008 and thought Id give it a go, 1st log in was newtown, logged in.. lagged to buggery, took 3 steps and logged out.

Same corp member convinced me the game gets better once you leave newtown and he was right.

Been playing on and off since then, mostly off lately but still around.

• Like 2

My buddy and I used to play MU Online and someone there mentioned Wurm to us in late 2004. We had seen it before when we did the old “Free MMO’s” search lol. Aaaaaaand here I am 18 years later. 

• Like 1

Heard of Wurm Online 11-12 years ago in Mortal Online forums along with Haven & Hearth.

• Like 1

I was playing ww2online in 2007. Someone in the "Off topic" forum there talked about Wurm and rallied people to join him.

It became some sort of "invasion" on the Wild server. People died all the time. We built a deed called Fort Mole (near Kyara). No one really knew what they were doing.

Ah, those glorious days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hailiah said:

Back in 2003? Can't honestly remember, more than likely it was mmorpg.com with their list of games and what was in beta, etc.

I remember it was just asking people to come in and beta test...and I remember the stress test where we were trying to get more than 100 players online.

I stuck around all the way to Gold, Wurmageddon, Gold 2...didn't like the Gold 2 map much and family stuff took over., took a break.

Came back in 2014 to find Hailiah dumped on Chaos...yes devs still pissed about that...

Thanks for refreshing my memory! I think my web search took me to the mmorpg site, like you, and from there, the rest is history. I went with WU first for a while but ultimately got frustrated by the typical problems you find with privately run servers. 

LOL you were dumped on chaos? That's hilarious xD

22 minutes ago, MordosKull said:

LOL you were dumped on chaos? That's hilarious xD

It was when they changed around the servers, closed some, opened others, if you didn't log in during a certain period your character was moved to Chaos.

The gold 2 map became I think, Golden Valley.

Edited by Hailiah
spelling
  • Like 1

I was trying out a sandbox mmo that was based in Ancient Egypt.  I was not that sure about it.  I think I was either searching for other MMOs or I went searching for more information about the Egypt game. 
I found a website where some people in the comments from years ago, were talking about sandbox games and someone said about a Medieval Sandbox game called Wurm Online.  I like Medieval stuff so I thought, "Okay, lets check it out"

So I went from Ancient Times to Medieval Times.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, griper said:

I was playing ww2online in 2007. Someone in the "Off topic" forum there talked about Wurm and rallied people to join him.

It became some sort of "invasion" on the Wild server. People died all the time. We built a deed called Fort Mole (near Kyara). No one really knew what they were doing.

Ah, those glorious days.

Did ya’ll raid the facepunch guys? 😂

2 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I was trying out a sandbox mmo that was based in Ancient Egypt.  I was not that sure about it.  I think I was either searching for other MMOs or I went searching for more information about the Egypt game. 
I found a website where some people in the comments from years ago, were talking about sandbox games and someone said about a Medieval Sandbox game called Wurm Online.  I like Medieval stuff so I thought, "Okay, lets check it out"

So I went from Ancient Times to Medieval Times.

A Tale in the Desert?

Yeah I tried that too, for the time not bad, but they haven't really put much into it since.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hailiah said:

A Tale in the Desert?

Yeah I tried that too, for the time not bad, but they haven't really put much into it since.

Ah yes :) I forgot what the name was.    I think I got up to a point where I could roam around after the tutorial section finished and was thinking......Hmm.....Now what? 

I just saw on their website, it says "There is no combat in the game"  Maybe that might also of been why I left because the other MMO type games I had played, always had combat.

Edited by Zexos

12 hours ago, MordosKull said:

As the title asks, how did you find wurm? Always wanted to see how others found the game.

As for me, I found it searching for mmorpgs on basic internet search back in late 2015. I don't remember how many pages back it was on search results though or if the result was a direct link to wurm or if it was to some other page that mentioned wurm. Wish I could remember.

google

it's extremely hard to find it, since it's not advertised anywhere on gaming directories/lists/catalogues/..

• Like 1

2009.  I was playing EQ2 at the time.  I decided to search the Wikipedia MMO list and found Wurm.  I downloaded it, created a character, logged in, looked around, said to myself, "Wow, this is crap." I logged out and uninstalled.  A short while later repeating that same search, I thought, "You know, I never did give that Wurm Online thing a decent try.  How do I know I won't love it?"  So, I downloaded it again, logged in, and gave it a proper try.  I then jumped on EQ2 and told my guild I just found an amazing sandbox MMO.  Three of us came over, and the rest is history...

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

Reddit of all places. I was always looking for a game like Wurm. Would find reddit posts with others looking for the same. Wurm kept popping up. But when I'd look into it the age plus graphics made it look dated. Assumed it was dead etc. After dozens of times writing it off I was so out if options I figured I'd give it a go. 

Here I am. 

• Like 2