Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

New vehicles for Wurm (some old ideas revived)

1. Barge.  Big, flat bottomed, shallow and slow moving.  (flat bottom boats make Wurm go round!).  It would have massive cargo for doing large moves from one server to the next.  Crate racks, BSB racks, loads of wagons & carts.  Think of it as a deed mover.  Can go anywhere a knarr can, just much slower.  Won't replace existing ships, unless someone is making a massive order to build a new deed.  Pretty specialized ship, but when you have to make 10 trips back and forth in traditional ships, this will be preferred.

2. Wagon conversion to a topless people mover.  (topless wagon, not topless people!)  Right click existing wagon, open craft window and convert to "whatever you wanna call it", which will need 3 benches added to complete.  3 people per bench, plus driver, plus back seat gives 11 total.

3. Sleigh.  Basically like a cart but with fence bars instead of wheels.  It can be pulled during spring through fall, but at half  of normal cart speeds.  In winter though... it is fast!  50% boost over cart speeds.

4. Skiis and poles.  Equip to feet and hands and provide crappy armor to those areas.  Also a CR penalty.  Normal speeds on flat, penalty for uphill, but big boost to downhill speeds, even when burdened.

Additionally, I would like to see a rework on downhill speeds for carts and wagons.  We lose speed every time we go up, but downhill is only as fast as flat ground.  It should get a similar boost to speed as we get in penalty for going uphill.  Also should ignore the load.

Also, in my opinion, I wish we could get rid of the cart/wagon load penalties that came with the big AH update.  I do like all the new horses looks/shapes, but I do not like the loss of speed.  It just makes everything take longer to do.  That isn't much for QoL.  Does anyone really like going slower?

• Like 9

Very good ideas. Still I would fancy a 1horse light vehicle like a gig, faster than a cart, with low load.

And big +1 getting rid of load penalties. It is highly unfair how low level characters get nerfed. I just recently imped my vehicles beyond ql75 as my fc went up a bit, and the difference is really too large, I wonder if a low level player is even able to outrun a troll or hell hound, especially with low trait or wild horses. I agree to draft horse bonus, though the penalty for vanilla 4/5 speed, even 125 trait old horses, is over the top.

• Like 3

As a somewhat experienced player, I had to drive my wagon, fully loaded, but low QL, full gear on 4 draft mules. Gear was not top of the line, but I had WoA on the shoes, but only 30-40ql shoes.  I was doing around 11 top speed.  Troll spotted me and no way to outrun, so I dropped to the ground and fought it.  I barely made it, with my armor and 73 FS.  Wagons for anyone new-ish is practically a death sentence.

• Like 1

Yes, so is the situation, and barely if at all, better on cart.

But to deviate a bit: Very slow vehicles like ship and creature transporter were always a deadly threat for those with not top FS and gear. I always led an additional horse to have the chance to ride away and disperse opponents. Also, as driver, one can use (rclick on horse next to driver-) unhitch - lead even in combat, other than on feet. Just as a hint for those in such troubles.

• Like 1

I would like to re-submit :

Horse and Buggy  = no cargo, 1 driver 2 passengers, and 50% faster than a cart.

Embark on Rafts able to move with a Pole or an Oar 1/2 the speed of a rowboat.

Donkey Carts  = donkey + small cart lead like donkey.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bachus said:

like a roman chariot? that would be cool

Edited by tomcatvmp

8 hours ago, Bachus said:

I like them all!  Always thought it silly that the raft was just larger chest.  Now we make storage units out of rafts?  Wurm needs to look up "raft" in the dictionary.

Donkey cart I'd not heard of before and is a fantastic idea.  Offers much for new players as well as veterans.  Currently saddlebags are handy, but can't be loaded too much for the burden on our poor horses.

Ok, so this is looking pretty unanimous.

These are all great ideas that wurm really needs - they all offer QoL and new content that won't take much coding.

Win-win really.

• Like 2

I'll settle with just skin or different model for large carts or mechanic to tune carts / wagons into speed/storage optimized models and maybe option to keep changing them with small or bigger effort.

You can adjust seats etc.. in a car to get more spare right.. or remove stuff to gain speed at the cost of some functionality loss.. or convenience..

why modify and not have 20 different vehicles.. obvious reason, no need to have 10-20 vehicles and park them around, then switch them every season

-----

at the same time +1 for the sleigh idea

+1 on wagon.. it's already done with the model by wagoner npc already.. maybe could use a touch and some of the suggestions for things like different skins(pve wagon modification) or attaching lamp(skinned lantern we had already, snowball lantern(so.. some kind of stand or hook to attach a hanging lanern.. maybe same spot to attach basic torchlamp-head(even if that sounds like fire hazard...))

• Like 1

Oh I remember the "attach a light to wagons/carts idea before and it was pretty well liked.  Especially handy when you park in the woods to do Arch or forage, then it gets dark and you can't remember where you parked.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bachus said:

why stop at donkeys, there should have been bull carts and horse carts already seriously this is a way more medieval idea than the carts and wagons we have right now. who has not seen a depiction of a farmer leading his ox and cart to market before and while on that subject a pack saddle would also help as well

idk why donkeys/mules are considered.. horses are just better advertised.. we have no muscle work like plowing fields etc and we have draft separated tree branch of traits for horses.. why are mules/donkeys considered for anything good if there's draft horse

Edited by Finnn

+1 good vehicle ideas

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2022 at 1:31 PM, Wurmhole said:

Does anyone really like going slower?

Of course, the trolls like for us go go slower, lol.

+1

Add dredging capability to the barge though, since this flat bottom boat could be useful when clearing channels (same as irl).

Love the idea of a fast 1 horse chariot/ gig/carriage with minimal cargo to get from A-B really fast. Would need a small cargo capacity (slightly more than a mounted horse can carry), and max potential speed greater than cart  (horse trait and passenger speed penalty dependent)  to make it worthwhile otherwise, why bother.

Fast carriages were very rare in medieval times, but did exist for the wealthiest so  introduction of such a vehicle would not be immersion breaking, assuming creation based on relatively high skills.Perhaps  only available as a  fancy version  to show off those high fine carp skills?. 

Bring on the chariot races!

At the other end of the spectrum, lead donkey/mule/ cow/bullock small carts would be sooo useful and improve the starting experience immeasurably, especially when  you can barely carry a couple of logs in your pocket without literally crawling. Of course, this would only  be of benefit to newbs if they can actually find a suitable creature to hitch to said cart..........

:)

Winter + sleigh + pack of tame wolves = fast husky sled races! :) 

How about a draft-horse hitched plough / seed drill / harvester - they probably wouldn't be much faster at farming, sowing or harvesting but they might be good fun.

Flatbed wagon for hauling over-sized stuff; though, sometimes they would just attach wheels and axles to the object.